Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Northern Ireland - Learner Permit

Options
  • 21-10-2008 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if I can drive in Northern Ireland on a Irish provisional license.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

An Irish learner permit/provo is only valid in the republic afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Kingkong wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I can drive in Northern Ireland on a Irish provisional license.
    I'm sure you can but it would be illegal to do so!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

Are you sure. If I have a full license holder holder in the car would it be illegal. I wonder if there is some arrangement to recongise provisional licenses between the Uk and Ireland for cross border reasons?

Kingkong wrote: »
    Are you sure
    100%
    Kingkong wrote:
    If I have a full license holder holder in the car would it be illegal.
    Yes it would make no difference (unless you get them to drive ;))
    Kingkong wrote:
    I wonder if there is some arrangement to recongise provisional licenses between the Uk and Ireland for cross border reasons?
    No. (A NI Provisional is not recognised here either).

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

Thanks Wishbone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

You need a full license. I'm pretty certain.

Just for the record, Certificates of Competency are not recognised either. The only mutual recognition is for Full Driving Licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Well, still on my learners permit, but at the stage where I'm comfortable driving anywhere and everywhere, and basically don't want to be driven anywhere..

Planning on heading to an event on up north, and was wondering what the law is regards ROI L drivers on NI roads. Am I allowed to drive up there?

Cheers,

CM

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

No you're not. Learner Permits are only valid in the republic.

Threads merged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MDTyKe

Now. It gets really interesting when on the N1 at Dundalk(North). You can't legally exit without breaking the law.

If you head past Dundalk (North), you're confronted with the following

- Exit (21 I think), in ROI. However, half way up the exit ramp, you enter NI. You can turn right at the end of the ramp, but for another 50m you're still in NI - and have broken the law.

- Continue straight ahead. No warning signs to tell you what is about to happen - you're breaking the law as you cross the border. No "Welcome to.." signs (unless they've been erected in the past few months). Just a change to mph (which isn't even obvious since the speed limit isn't given, just the NSL sign).

Typical eh?

MDTyKe wrote: »
    No "Welcome to.." signs (unless they've been erected in the past few months). Just a change to mph (which isn't even obvious since the speed limit isn't given, just the NSL sign).

Typical eh?
    The easiest way to tell when you have exactly crossed the border is to look at the edge of the road. In the ROI they are unlined or have a broken yellow line (continuous yellow line on a motorway).

In Northern Ireland they use broken white lines at the edge of the roadway.

Advertisement