Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xenical Problem - opposite effect

• 21-10-2008 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭

The "neverending story" of my inability to lose weight and internal dysfunction (including but not limited to, chronic CGS - aka "can't go syndrome") is scattered all over various threads...along with the emerging solutions:
    1. I have celiac sprue
    2. I am sensitive to eggs
    3. I am sensitive to dairy
    4. I am sensitive to tannins
    5. I may be sensitive to whatever it is in red fish that makes them red, just like I was when I was 5 (any idea what that is BTW?)

This is all GOOD NEWS, as, when I cut everything I am sensitive to out of my diet I am in the quasi-magical state where, not only do I lose or gain weight in accord with how much I eat, and retain a nice, flat (ish) unbloated stomach, but also, sometimes, I can eat what I darn well please (of the half dozen or so things still available to me anyway :() and still lose weight.

But lately I started taking some of the supply of xenical that failed to do me the slightest good in 2003...even with all that running for bathrooms I didn't lose a pound.

I see Xenical is now available over the counter in some places, and even suggested as use as a mild laxative, so, my reasoning was:

WHY NOT keep things running smoothly and get rid of a little excess fat at the same time?

I know it is contraindicated for malabsorption syndromes but I reckoned that applies until you are totally gluten free and heal.

Anyway...after 2 or 3 days of xenical I had gained 5-6lbs that wouldn't shift and was seriously bloated again (though, at that point I didn't wake bloated it would build during the day, I was waking more bloated every day).

Basically, to all intents and purposes, xenical f*cked me back up again with interest...and that is before I even mention constantly leaking what seemed to be a mixture of beta-carotene and olive oil (well I wasn't leaking it from my ears, was I? Where do you think?:p).

Halfway through the 72 hours they reckon it takes to flush most things through your system I am almost back to normal.

I thought I would post this here in case xenical is having a similar effect (even if to a lesser degree) on people who are gifted with less sensitive metabolic instruments than myself. If so, it might well be one of the reasons why some people cannot seem to lose weight whatever they do.

I do not think xenical harms anyone. But that doesn't necessarily mean it is always effective, and I have honestly never seen a "glowing testimonial" for the weight loss effects.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Hi aare, thanks for sharing your experiences. Xenical is still regulated as prescription only in Ireland from what I can gather - if you've seen it OTC fair enough, but we have to be careful discussing pxn-only drugs on the forum, so I'm afraid I'll have to lock this for now.

g'em

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement