Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vampire Apocalypse - Desent into Chaos - Derek Gunn

Options
  • 21-10-2008 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

HI All

I have just read Derek Gunn’s new book Vampire Apocalypse - Descent into Chaos. Its the follow up to Vampire Apocalypse - World torn asunder.

Derek is an Irish author and I think he has created something really great, so if your into vampire or even ding dong action novels you might have a look at it. Below is the review I sent in to Amazon, anyway if you have read the first book or the second would love to discuss it here too.

Review
    Vampires have taken over the world, and with the help of their human army "The Thralls" they control everything. Humans are now just cattle, drugged to keep them docile and without any hope of survival. Technology, infrastructure, communications and energy are all but gone. the Apocalypse has arrived.

There is one Free Human community, they had a major success defeating a powerful vampire but that created as many problems as it solved. They are left with impossible choices and a growing community they have to support and govern. With no fuel, fresh food or civil leadership to speak of they are in serious danger of falling apart.

An opportunity presents it's self to salvage humans, fuel and supplies from a local vampire controlled town, no one could guess how their attempt to same some more humans would descend into utter chaos

I’m delighted Derek’s second book in the Vampire Apocalypse series has finally been published. It had a lot to live up to in my opinion as I really enjoyed the first book (Vampire Apocalypse - world torn asunder).

Like the first book once the action begins (and that doesn’t take long ) its doesn’t stop till the final page. It really is a fast paced page turner; I read it in two sessions which is unheard of for me. You just can’t put it down - the action drags you in.

The Plot and characters have been fleshed out quite a bit so there is a lot more than just action in this book as Derek brings more substance to the story and the universe he has created. For me this is the key element that makes this book better than the first. The development of the lead characters, the social landscape and slight increase in complexity of story line meand you don’t know how the story will finish and that’s really what I look for in the creation of a series. The interaction between several plotlines and characters has also been developed nicely and you find yourself wondering how this is all going to come together. Which it does nicely.

There are a few nice twists and turns I wasn’t expecting and that intermingled with the fast paced story makes this the best book I have read in a long long time.

I particularly enjoy Derek’s interpretation of the Vampire Myth. In Derek's Vampireverse, Vampires are shocking animals, devoid of any redeemable qualities, They are unbelieveablely powerful and can use this power to morph into horrific creatures (that’s the bit i like best). I think its about time for a new interpretation of the Vampire because the romantic/weak/evil with a heart of gold vampire story bores me to tears ! Derek’s Vampire’s are exactly what the mythology needed.

The story concludes with as many questions as it begins with and you find yourself checking Derek's website to see exactly when the 3rd book in the series is coming. The world has now descended into Chaos... I cant wait to see how its going to turn out !

Its a must read ! 5 Stars

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 del555

Hi there,

I just came across your post and I'm delighted that you enjoyed Descent into Chaos, the second book in my Vampire Apocalypse series.

So far, there are three Vampire Apocalypse books: A World Torn Asunder (2006), Descent into Chaos (2008) and Fallout (coming 2009). All are published by US genre publisher, Black Death Books. the books are widely available to buy online at Amazon etc. and certainly I have seen sopies in Watersones, forbidden Planet and Sub City in Dublin.

The first Vampire Apocalypse book is also in development as a movie with producers Richard Finney and Robert Lawrence (Die Hard: with a vengence).

I live in Dublin and have been writing in my spare time for about 6 years now. As well as the third Vampire Apocalypse book, I also have another stand-alone horror/thriller (based in the lovely Southern Ireland town of dungarvan) coming out this summer from US publisher, Permuted Press. It's called The Estuary.

Excerpts, news etc are all at my website, www.derekgunn.com

Cheers!
    Derek Gunn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Whoa, Derek Gunn! You still online, I loved World torn asunder and for sure am going to read Descent into Chaos as well. Can you tell me, are you organising any signings coming up? I'd love to get the trilogy signed, I would settle for the first 2 books in the series for now. :)

Hey Oxygen,

Really delighted and honoured that you enjoyed the first VA book.

I'll be at Phoenix Con in Dublin in March. If you're there I would be more than happy to sign the book(s). I will be at other events throughout the year. If you want, you can sign up to my newsletter HERE to keep up to date with previews, new releases, news/signings etc (and you get a free novella to read online).

Cheers!
    Derek

Just to add: Subcity in Exchequer St. Dublin has signed copies of both books if you're planning on purchasing the second VA book and want a signed copy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Have'nt tried them but i will. I love horror,fantasy etc.One of the best vampire series i ever read was Necroscope by brain lumley.A totally unique and new point of view on the vampire myth.Did'nt like any of his other books though.
    If you are into vampires and are fed up with the romantic,sickly sweet ,lovey dovey vampires,try necroscope for blood,guts and alternative reality.Not to be missed,the benchmark for all vampire novels.

Newsletter/May Draw
    Just to let you know:
    Subscribers to my newsletter are entered in a random drawing to win an autographed copy my latest release, DESCENT INTO CHAOS, the second book in the Vampire Apocalypse series. Winner will be drawn on June 1st and notified by email. Please note that new subscribers who sign up by May 31, 2009 are also eligible.

My newsletter goes out a couple of times a year, covering new and forthcoming releases, previews etc. If this interests you, SIGN UP HERE
    Cheers!
    D

• Advertisement
Advertisement