Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sick of crying

Options
  • 21-10-2008 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sick of my bullying boss (who is also the store owner) and I'm even more sick of crying 3-4 times a week because of him. He blames everyone but himself, he picks on people, he undoes others hard work and he does not follow health and safety legislation.

I want to leave but he is my first reference at management level and there are few jobs where I live. I know if I leave now, I wont get a reference as he is a spiteful little man.

If I quit, I don't get the unemployment benefit do I? I'm so unhappy, I don't know what to do.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Why would you not get unemployment benefit?

Legally he doesn't have to give you a reference but just confirm you worked for him. If you are crying 3 or 4 times a week that is not good and you really should leave and move onto better things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Try and find another job while you still have the current one. Dont let the boss know, and dont mention him as a reference on the CV. If you cant find a job after a while you might look into constructive dismissal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

No job is worth putting yourself through days/evenings of crying and upset and general unhappiness.

As cronos said, start looking for another job and dont use your current employer as a reference. Its often easier to get a job when you already have a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Tks for the support everyone...I am looking for something, and I have some time off coming soon which will allow me to look harder.

Can I confirm I wont get the unemployment benefit if I quit...there seems to be some uncertainty...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Tks for the support everyone...I am looking for something, and I have some time off coming soon which will allow me to look harder.

Can I confirm I wont get the unemployment benefit if I quit...there seems to be some uncertainty...

as far as i know, you don't get unemployment for something like 3 months if you quit (as opposed to being fired).

it is entirely possible that i'm wrong though. welfare.ie might be able to give you more specific information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Not true... few years ago I quit my job and went on the dole, I got my first payment within a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

Even better go to your doctor tell them you are depressed in there, they will give you a doctors letter because you are under stress, and you can get DB (disability benefits) That will scare the bejaysus out of your boss to, wonder will he be done for putting you under pressure!! Then try to look for another position while you are out there, you dont neccesarily have to put your boss down as a ref by the way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Tks for your support everyone. Time for an update...

I tried to explain that I didn't appreciate the treatment and I was cut off. I was sick of that treatment, so when he came to talk to me, I told him that I wanted a witness to the meeting because its obvious I cannot air my grievances to him. He insulted me, and I told him I didnt have to take this.

He said, "No you don't, consider this your two weeks notice".

So there you are. I don't want to work the two weeks, but its in my new contract, which I havent signed yet by the way...

And whats funny, he had someone in for an interview today before I got my notice.

I'm fcuking tired of employeers taking advantage of newer staff. I'm there 5.5 months, and so my options are limited. I completely turned the store around, I'm the best seller in the store and I never received any sort of warning, written or verbal.

I have spoken to a bullying hotline and they feel I have a very strong case for bullying and I am seriously considering talking to a solicitor about it. I have the backing of my boyfriend and both our families. As the say, "never back away from a fight thats worth fighting..."

Regarding the reference, its my first as a manager :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Never mind what the bullying helpline said (never even heard of them).
    It's EXTREMELY difficult to win an employment tribunal. Unless you have witnesses who will testify what they have heard your boss say to you, you have no case.

Just cut your losses and leave. I'd write a letter to the CEO or similar high-up management about your boss after you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Serafijn

If you are still working there use that as an excuse to not give your current employer as a reference, since you don't want him to know you're thinking about leaving until you have a contract in your hand. This is pretty normal so a new employer probably won't think twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

eth0_ wrote: »
    Not true... few years ago I quit my job and went on the dole, I got my first payment within a few weeks.

maybe i'm wrong, but this is from welfare.ie:

"A person may be disqualified for receiving JB [Jobseekers Benefit] for up to 9 weeks from date of leaving employment if s/he has left the employment voluntarily and without just cause."

http://www.welfare.ie/foi/jb_jobseekben.html#disqual9weeks

Worked in Dunnes a few years ago (about two).

A guy came in, worked for a few weeks, got moved into the stockroom and left cos he didnt want to work there. He went three weeks without dole before he was entitled to it.

So three weeks isn;t bad.

Alternatively, just do nothing at all for the next while and they'll sack you and you'll be fine. Just give the name of someone you got along well with as a reference (Seen as you're essentially already sacked, you should get the dole no problem, i would think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

maybe i'm wrong, but this is from welfare.ie:

"A person may be disqualified for receiving JB [Jobseekers Benefit] for up to 9 weeks from date of leaving employment if s/he has left the employment voluntarily and without just cause."

http://www.welfare.ie/foi/jb_jobseekben.html#disqual9weeks

Possibly at the discretion of the dole office though, if its up to nine weeks? Plus the OP might have a case for bullying in the workplace? Personally think you should look into that side of things a bit op, at the very least to speed up a dole application, and maybe you would be entitled to some under harassment laws? (anyone know more about this?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Tks for your support everyone. Time for an update...

I tried to explain that I didn't appreciate the treatment and I was cut off. I was sick of that treatment, so when he came to talk to me, I told him that I wanted a witness to the meeting because its obvious I cannot air my grievances to him. He insulted me, and I told him I didnt have to take this.

He said, "No you don't, consider this your two weeks notice".

So there you are. I don't want to work the two weeks, but its in my new contract, which I havent signed yet by the way...

And whats funny, he had someone in for an interview today before I got my notice.

I'm fcuking tired of employeers taking advantage of newer staff. I'm there 5.5 months, and so my options are limited. I completely turned the store around, I'm the best seller in the store and I never received any sort of warning, written or verbal.

I have spoken to a bullying hotline and they feel I have a very strong case for bullying and I am seriously considering talking to a solicitor about it. I have the backing of my boyfriend and both our families. As the say, "never back away from a fight thats worth fighting..."

Regarding the reference, its my first as a manager :(

Contact a solicitor. Firing you and replacing you with no due process is a hands down unfair dismissal case. Remember, if you are taking your employer to court over unfair dismissal, it is the responsability of the employer to prove that you were unfit or unable to carry out your job in a competant manner. Which is near impossible to do even if you were not good at your job. The fact that they didn't go through any process to either attempt to resolve the issue or to give you fair warning of you conduct and / or performance is another massive factor including being replaced immediatly after, I would say you should contact a solicitor in the morning.

Also, regarding your reference, companies are required by law to give you written conformation of dates you worked for them in order to persue other employment. Large companies anyway, never give favourable (or unfavourable - which isn't allowed either) references as, by company policy, may leave them liable as a recommendation to employ this person who goes on to commit a massive fu*k up in there new job.

So most places only confirm the dates anyway, so that will in no way look unusual to a new employer, so don't worry about that.

Advertisement