Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Snitch Line: Warning Contains sour grapes

Options
  • 21-10-2008 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Is there a no. or something I can call to report a car that’s not Paid the VRT ?

ok the reason I ask........ first off I do not make a habit of doing kind of thing believe me……… its just that there is this one big mouthed gimp who works with us and he is such an idiot he deserves to be brought down by a bit of good old fashioned Irish bitterness..... (The guy is from the UK but that honestly bears no Signifigance on his being a c0 c k muncher) (well very little lol)

According to him he is earning ‘more than 150k a year’ he is making Soooooooo much money that the Credit Crisis and Brian Cowens panicky budget mean nothing to him (his own words here)............ he has been living here for a few years and only left the country to buy the new car (bought car last year )........... And he has a great laugh at the fact that he has never been caught for VRT !!!! Now don’t get me wrong that’s not enough in itself to shop someone to the VAT man but this guy is genuinely a total C 0 C K, if I could find any redeeming charachteristics at all I would totally not do this but it’s been 2 years of putting up with this fella and his totally beligerant behaviour to all of us….. (and I know that I’m not really articulating my argument very well and following up with a blow by blow with bullit points on each gripe but I guess I will just have to live with that……and that’s fine with me :) )

I mean FFS I imported my car and I fcuking doled out the 4k in VRT so I am gonna be a **** and get this guy stung.....

Anyone know the best way to make this happen ?

Maybe this constitutes a bit of a spam thread i suppose as I could always google the details but I kinda want to get ur feedback here on this I mean what would you do ? If u were in a similar situation would u do the same thing ? Is it a step too far ??

Ps. I know, I know , I know I am being a petty idiot here but seriously if u met this guy for one minute you would understand, there is only so much we can take….

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

Hey you can just report them by ringing your local customs office. I am pretty sure that if you did report them they would be able to find out who reported them under the Freedom of Information Act.

So i would be going under Joe Bloggs when reporting it just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

what would i do mmmm ask him for tips on how he got away with it for so long :D:D

LOOK MY TXT IS BIGGER :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

JoeySully wrote: »
    what would i do mmmm ask him for tips on how he got away with it for so long :D:D

LOOK MY TXT IS BIGGER :D

NO IT AINT!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Fl00byMcN00b

miceal wrote: »
    So i would be going under Joe Bloggs when reporting it just to be sure.

But My Name is Fl00byMcN00b ??? lol

In fairness fair play to him, the government ride us left, right and centre. Just take a look at last weeks budget?. VRT is a totally scam anyway, he is dead right. Fcuk them.

In fairness I would be looking for a "Cock Snitch Line" to report you....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

So what are Christmas parties for if not settling old scores:D

Don't worry, it's nearly that time again

LOL well thank god there aint one of them then....... I guess I'l just have to live with myself... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Fl00byMcN00b..... get a life!

LOL well thank god there aint one of them then....... I guess I'l just have to live with myself... ;)

Dunno my man, its a bum thing to do. Your getting rid by the system too in case you haven't noticed. Why would you want to aid the fcukers?.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bragging about it is the icing on the cake.

Report him.

He has moved to this country voluntarily with full knowledge of the tax system. If he doesn't like it, he should f' off back home.

When he first moved over here he had an opportunity to bring a car with him VRT-free. What more does he want?

(I'm British btw, and don't appreciate my fellow countrymen taking the piss)

eta: that said, a neighbour from the North drove a UK reg car for years, and I didn't report him. If he had bragged about how smart he was to avoid it, I might have behaved differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Why don't you try live your own life and put the jealousy way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Feelgood wrote: »
    In fairness fair play to him, the government ride us left, right and centre. Just take a look at last weeks budget?. VRT is a totally scam anyway, he is dead right. Fcuk them.

In fairness I would be looking for a "Cock Snitch Line" to report you....

Think about that statement, we elected the government, tax payer money is our money, in effect are we not riding ourselves, with this guy just jumping in for a two way gang bang ?

You could probably call these guys

Revenue Commissioners
    Investigation & Prosecution in the South West Region Revenue Hse Blackpool Cork

* (021)6027000

Heres whats gonna happen then,

Hes English, you report him. He shows customs his English license and gives them his folks address which is probably where the car is registered too if he is avoiding VRT.

Customs can't touch him, he gets away free and laughs even harder, the added bonus is he then knows that it was probably you that reported him and kicks the ****e out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This thread has potential.:D

I'm off to make some popcorn. :pac:

Hes English, you report him. He shows customs his English license and gives them his folks address which is probably where the car is registered too if he is avoiding VRT.

In Ireland it is an offence to drive with a licence with an incorrect address, or so I've been told.

He's probably not insured either. It is difficult to get insurance in the UK which will cover you abroad for more than 90 days a year.

Customs can't touch him, he gets away free and laughs even harder, the added bonus is he then knows that it was probably you that reported him and kicks the ****e out of you.

I dont think so, Every tom dick and harry will be trying that scam I mean there are loads of English lads n Lasses working over here and living here to0o and they Pay the VRT u have to show proof that u leave the country at least once a month IN UR CAR to be able to claim that thats ur permenant residance.... as far as I am aware....... If he gets stopped and they checked he would have no excuse really.......

And as for kicking the ****e outa me..... = LOL

Besides he has sooooo many people who think hes a twat that he will never be able to pin point the source....

Justice...

grow a set of balls, if you have an issue then have it out with him and stop being a weasel!

Now - countdown till thread gets locked...... 5...... 4...... 3...... 2......

craichoe wrote: »
    Think about that statement, we elected the government, tax payer money is our money, in effect are we not riding ourselves, with this guy just jumping in for a two way gang bang ?

You could probably call these guys

I didn't elect the government, never voted once in my life..

If its "our" money then how come we don't have the choice in how its spent?. In fact all "our" money seems to be doing is fcukall at this minute.
    Out of the millions, AFAIK billions of euro in VRT over the last few years, how come I am still avoiding potholes?. Where has this money gone?. Absolutely nowhere...

I see where you are coming from craichoe, but its a well known fact that VRT is a complete scam and actually goes against European law. There is no point in pretending that we wouldn't all do it if we were sure we would get away with it.

Hands up I for one would do it....without a shadow of a doubt.

If its "our" money then how come we don't have the choice in how its spent?. In fact all "our" money seems to be doing is fcukall at this minute.
    your opinion isn't really valid if you don't vote, because your not doing anyone any favours and you'll never get your voice in by just letting things happen... if you give no input through voting then you're not entitled to give any input about these matters really!

just my opinion!

Besides he has sooooo many people who think hes a twat that he will never be able to pin point the source....

Justice...

So you issue is that he is a twat, or maybe that he is English?. Lots of people are twats, its the nature of the world - can't like everybody...

Doesn't mean you have to go and do something like that. Sounds more like begrudgery and jealously to me than actually wanting to do the right thing. I could understand if you were looking at it from a I love Ireland point of view, but this is a personal issue. Not something for the motoring forum....

What goes around comes around my man....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Sorry Flooby but that is funny! :D

You're right though he should be reported for tax evasion, even if it is a difficult tax to swallow. However in this country we are tax evaders by nature, look at our politicians over the years.... You would be going against the spirit of the nation!:)

steve06 wrote: »
    your opinion isn't really valid if you don't vote, because your not doing anyone any favours and you'll never get your voice in by just letting things happen... if you give no input through voting then you're not entitled to any input!

Why vote when all the candidates are knob jockeys?. If someone went up for election that I genuinely believed would make a difference to this country I would without a seconds thought.

Unfortunately I am still waiting for that "someone" to appear.

I see where you are coming from craichoe, but its a well known fact that VRT is a complete scam and actually goes against European law. There is no point in pretending that we wouldn't all do it if we were sure we would get away with it.

VRT is not a scam, it's a tax. I'm all for doing away with it (when I lived in England I had a garage full of fast cars, now I have none) but evading it and bragging about it, when you can afford to pay it, is taking the piss.

And FWIW, the OP never stated that said tax evader was English, he said he was from the UK. So you get a "FAIL" on geography.

Doesn't mean you have to go and do something like that. Sounds more like begrudgery and jealously to me than actually wanting to do the right thing. I could understand if you were looking at it from a I love Ireland point of view, but this is a personal issue. Not something for the motoring forum....

What goes around comes around my man....

Thats a good Point friend, and I will not deny that there is a certain element of Sour Grapes involved (hence the title) but all that aside I had to pay my VRT and this guy should have to pay it wheether he is from the UK or not he is living here and should pay the VRT ..... simple as...

And ur right what goes around comes around......... and the time has come around for this guy to pay his VRT...

And I will help...

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

No, its place of residence, not what your license says. You have to prove what country your normally live and work in. Residency and "where your ma lives" are two completely different things.

Out of the millions, AFAIK billions of euro in VRT over the last few years, how come I am still avoiding potholes?. Where has this money gone?. Absolutely nowhere...

Ok.

1. I don't see how you can complain about a system that you think doesnt work if you have never exercised your right as a citizen to vote. What have you done to fix it beside rant about it on boards.

2. I don't know if you remember the state of the roads back 15 years ago, they were bloody attrocious and to be fair our roads now are better than some european countries, Belgium has absolutely shocking roads, most of the roads in the South East of the UK are brutal and theres streches of Autobahn in Germany that have massive chunks taken out of them, one of which ripped the oil sump cover off my car.

3. The EU never deemed VRT illegal, they said it was anti-competitive. Ireland is not the only one with this system, the Dutch have a Registration tax called BPM and it is pretty much on par, if not more than VRT. The same rules apply though, if you own your car for more than 6 months in another country (where you were normally resident, i.e. worked/lived) then you don't have to pay BPM tax and the same with VRT, you also cannot sell it for a year . So importers cannot make a quick buck just importing and selling vehicles from a foreign market.

1. I don't see how you can complain about a system that you think doesnt work if you have never exercised your right as a citizen to vote. What have you done to fix it beside rant about it on boards.

I have joined here => http://www.irishdrivers.org/, protested and wrote many a letter to my local council figures not including the government over the last 3 years. Do they listen?. NO...

Do they respond to emails?. NO.

Do they even try acknowlegde you?. NO

So why would I vote for a government who don't even acknowledge my existence?
    2. I don't know if you remember the state of the roads back 15 years ago, they were bloody attrocious

Only driving about 10 years, can't comment on that..
    3. The EU never deemed VRT illegal, they said it was anti-competitive. Ireland is not the only one with this system, the Dutch have a Registration tax called BPM and it is pretty much on par, if not more than VRT. The same rules apply though, if you own your car for more than 6 months in another country (where you were normally resident, i.e. worked/lived) then you don't have to pay BPM tax and the same with VRT, you also cannot sell it for a year . So importers cannot make a quick buck just importing and selling vehicles from a foreign market.

Right though how much is BPM tax in comparison to VRT?. Whats the difference?. I think you will find that all other countries have a fixed rate of VRT. Along the lines of a couple of hundred euros. Not the extortion rates that apply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

Lumen wrote: »
    In Ireland it is an offence to drive with a licence with an incorrect address, or so I've been told.

From Citizens Information.ie
    "You are required to carry your driving licence with you at all times when driving in Ireland. You are required to show evidence of your licence if requested by An Garda Siochana. While you are not required by law to change your driving licence if you change address, it is advisable nonetheless. Contact your Motor Tax Office for more information (see 'Where to Apply' below). Exchanging your driving licence to amend the address is a free service.

And ur right what goes around comes around......... and the time has come around for this guy to pay his VRT...

And I will help...

LOL

All right, no convincing you. I'll just let Jesus deal with you. He will probably take a dump on your doorstep. :p

You didn't take into account that the guy your talking about could be a die hard boards.ie member?. So he could be reading this thread as we speak, polishing up the knuckle duster.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Right though how much is BPM tax in comparison to VRT?. Whats the difference?. I think you will find that all other countries have a fixed rate of VRT. Along the lines of a couple of hundred euros. Not the extortion rates that apply here.
    You'd be wrong then.

BPM is currently 42.3% of the net new catalogue price (- EUR 1442) for a new car. For older cars there's a fixed percentage decrease depending on the age of the car.

Those nice people at the Dutch tax office even have a web page in English explaining it all.

http://www.douane.nl/variabel/bpm/en/index.html

• Advertisement

OP would you please find another pass time other than sticking your nose in other peoples business. Also why didnt you take the chance avoiding the vrt same as he is. Fear I would imagine.

I would be almost certain if he has a UK license, the car reg'd to a uk address and a few up to date bank statements thrown in the glove box the customs wouldnt have a chance of impounding the car.

Advertisement