Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Snitch Line: Warning Contains sour grapes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,988 ✭✭✭✭L1011

OP would you please find another pass time other than sticking your nose in other peoples business. Also why didnt you take the chance avoiding the vrt same as he is. Fear I would imagine.

I would be almost certain if he has a UK license, the car reg'd to a uk address and a few up to date bank statements thrown in the glove box the customs wouldnt have a chance of impounding the car.

Or "no desire to be a criminal", possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Feelgood wrote: »
    I didn't elect the government, never voted once in my life..

If its "our" money then how come we don't have the choice in how its spent.

We do. By voting. :rolleyes:

MYOB wrote: »
    Or "no desire to be a criminal", possibly?

I dont think the op really cares about the legality of it he just sees it as a way to get the guy into trouble as he doesnt like him.

If it was his friend that was avoiding vrt I doubt very much this thread would ever have existed.

I dont think the op really cares about the legality of it he just sees it as a way to get the guy into trouble as he doesnt like him.

If it was his friend that was avoiding vrt I doubt very much this thread would ever have existed.

Where did I mention the legality of his colleague? I only gave a very probable reason why most people *do* pay VRT on imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think you need a water tight excuse now to get away with vrt fraud. Being from the uk and having that address on the license is not enough. These guys arent stupid, they notice cars and will be aware of a car on numerous occasions before they even stop them. So if the customs guy knows the car is always in ireland, he will impound it. Even if a car owner is english with english license and address, they will have a tax history here (in most cases) and that in itself will be proof enough for customs to impound it and bring you in for an interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

mickdw wrote: »
    Being from the UK

No making around 150k a year by any chance are you Mick?

phutyle wrote: »
    We do. By voting. :rolleyes:

Ahhh so your the one to blame for all the cuts in the health board and the medical card fiasco...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Fl00byMcN00b

That point is not without merit ....but.....still.........

I shall have to muse on this one....

Still probably shop him and hide it behind a veil of Righteous Indignation....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Any thread that involves bitching about our lovely free for all people loving government will be locked...

so, in before lock.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Why lock it? The OP had a valid question. I too would like to know if there
    is a phone number or email address where I could report VRT dodgers -
    especially those that gloat about avoiding it!

If I saw someone driving up the wrong side of the M50 I'd report them as
    I'm sure most people on here would. Yet when it comes to people not
    paying VRT certain posters seem to find it acceptable. So are we saying
    only certain laws should be enforced?

If you don't like paying VRT get a bicycle or emigrate. If you get stung
    for not paying when you should have well tough titties

• Advertisement

So are we saying
    only certain laws should be enforced?

It isn't the law, its actually in breach of the law!.

We are actually protected by article 25 of the Rome treaty from having to give over possession of our cars to the customs, but people don't bloody read it!.

In a nutshell, if you owe the revenue say 5k in VRT, they can't legally take something that is worth 4 times that amount off someone. So why do they take your car?. It's because you hand over the keys, your giving them permission. You could easily tell them to fcuk off and drive off, let it go to court and the Rome treaty will protect you and has done in a couple of cases in Ireland. That's why customs use intimidation to get the keys off you, if you stood your ground they couldn't do a tap.

Its totally against the charter of fundamental rights of the European union. Read up on Article 25 of the Rome treaty.

This will most likely be locked as its going into a political dispute, now I am against the vrt as much as joe the plumber but if its so illegal why are thousands paying it every year.?

And if its so illegal why dont joe the plumber sue the state for damages and screw up our country for billions of (illegal) vrt...

The vehicle itself is not legal for sale in the state without VRT, hence it is, as such worthless until such time as it is registered.

However, theres nothing in Article 25 which covers Customs confiscating items on which tax hasn't been paid, unless you have a different Treaty of Rome to everyone else. Can you provide links to these cases you mention, thanks.

And for one last time, VRT isn't against European law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

It isn't the law, its actually in breach of the law!.

We are actually protected by article 25 of the Rome treaty from having to give over possession of our cars to the customs, but people don't bloody read it!.

In a nutshell, if you owe the revenue say 5k in VRT, they can't legally take something that is worth 4 times that amount off someone. So why do they take your car?. It's because you hand over the keys, your giving them permission. You could easily tell them to fcuk off and drive off, let it go to court and the Rome treaty will protect you and has done in a couple of cases in Ireland. That's why customs use intimidation to get the keys off you, if you stood your ground they couldn't do a tap.

Its totally against the charter of fundamental rights of the European union. Read up on Article 25 of the Rome treaty.

I would love to agree with you but the reason they take the car isn't for leverage against what you owe them its because its illegal to drive a foreign registered car on public roads, if them come around your house (and the car is on private property) and try and take it then you can tell them to do one...

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Many Years ago i worked with a farmers son who was for ever telling us that he was running his VW Jetta on Agri Diesel , That was until we all got sick of listening to him and made a little phone call to the customs people.
    They came out the next day and it was great watching from the toilets as they dipped his tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Warning for feelgood :

Tone done the language to a civil level or you're out of here.

The vehicle itself is not legal for sale in the state without VRT, hence it is, as such worthless until such time as it is registered.

However, theres nothing in Article 25 which covers Customs confiscating items on which tax hasn't been paid, unless you have a different Treaty of Rome to everyone else. Can you provide links to these cases you mention, thanks.

And for one last time, VRT isn't against European law.

It is illegal to confiscate items more than the value of the debt but its mostly meant for baliffs ect.

Vrt isn't illegal the way they have dressed it up, import duty is illegal within the eu, on 31st of december 1991 the old system was import duty (22.5%, 25% and 30%) and on the first on jan 1992 that system was abolished (because it was illegal) and by complete coincidence they introduced a new tax on registering cars. It just happened to be the exact system as import duty used to be...
    Now that they have changed it again to a green carbon tax no-one will ever challenge it successfully.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mickk wrote: »
    It is illegal to confiscate items more than the value of the debt but its mostly meant for baliffs ect.

Vrt isn't illegal the way they have dressed it up, import duty is illegal within the eu, on 31st of december 1991 the old system was import duty (22.5%, 25% and 30%) and on the first on jan 1992 that system was abolished (because it was illegal) and by complete coincidence they introduced a new tax on registering cars. It just happened to be the exact system as import duty used to be...
    Now that they have changed it again to a green carbon tax no-one will ever challenge it successfully.

Plus they had to find something for all those lovely Customs officers to do......

Mickk wrote: »

Except its being confiscated for illegal use, not for unpaid debts...

what happens to the billions the government have made from vrt...?

how come this has not being brought up recently in the budget:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think the OP has asked a very valid question too, I can't see why people are jumping on his back for it :confused:

It annoys me greatly that some people think VRT is something for other people to worry about. Its a tax, none of us like it, but most of us get on with it.

This driving around on uk/NI plates reminds me of the old days (the eighties :pac: when people used to drive around for months with "FOR REG" on their cars!)

A guy bragging about it would be the chocolate digestive for me... I'd be shoppin him in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I don't think I could shop someone to the authorities - seems very 'unIrish' and a bit cowardly.

I do think people should pay their goddam taxes though - including VRT. The country needs taxes, now more than ever. Yes, Bertie & co messed up. They propped up their builder friends and gave too much away (to the old, young and everyone in-between) for electoral advantage. The other shower of **** (the opposition) smell blood and are sticking the knife in. But they'd have done exactly the same or very similar in that situation!

But some people here want to use that as an excuse to justify dodging tax, VRT whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Regarding avoiding taxes I heard today that there's been a big increase in people taxing their cars as hackneys to avail of the cheap road tax, it certainly makes sense when you can tax a 3 litre car for 78 euros (I think) and insure it as a limo for around 800euros against in excess if 1500 euros alone for road tax. It's only a matter of time before every big car in the country will be taxed as a hackney and will earn a few quid on the side too!:)

SGS would love that, annual NCTs ;)

I would shop him. I had to pay vrt, no reason why he shoudn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I have joined here => http://www.irishdrivers.org/, protested and wrote many a letter to my local council figures not including the government over the last 3 years. Do they listen?. NO...

Do they respond to emails?. NO.

Do they even try acknowlegde you?. NO

So why would I vote for a government who don't even acknowledge my existence?

Your supposed to vote for someone else, or if in the case you dont agree with any of the parties then run for government yourself and if VRT is indeed removed, where will the money come from to cover the deficit ?

Only driving about 10 years, can't comment on that..

Well they were rubbish 10 years ago as well, compared to now. Just look at the difference in the amount of time it takes to get from Cork -> Dublin
    Right though how much is BPM tax in comparison to VRT?. Whats the difference?. I think you will find that all other countries have a fixed rate of VRT. Along the lines of a couple of hundred euros. Not the extortion rates that apply here.
    [/QUOTE]

BPM is roughly 20-30% of the book value of the vehicle .. oh to be able to buy a car in Germany without BPM .. Car prices here are much higher than Ireland.

http://www.autoweek.nl/bpmcalculator.php

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

craichoe wrote: »

Well they were rubbish 10 years ago as well, compared to now. Just look at the difference in the amount of time it takes to get from Cork -> Dublin

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, took me 4 hours 10 minutes from Midleton to Dublin Airport earlier this month. And that was leaving at 5.30am........

Except its being confiscated for illegal use, not for unpaid debts...

I know, if you read my post that was my point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Shop the prick. He's a tax dodging thief. I see the usual "VRT is an illegal tax" nonsense being posted again and again. Its not illegal. The EU does not set a countrys tax system. That would mean a federal europe and you would end up paying a lot more rates including water usage tax and property tax if that was the case. My cousins up in Belfast currently pay £2k a year in rates...would you rather that? All revenue goes into a central pot VRT included. So by not paying you're only taking away from other services and cause shortfalls which result in the 1% income tax levy announced in the budget. So to all the idiots on here who seem to hero worship these tax dodgers cop yourselves on as its you who looses out in reduced services or paying more income tax

• Advertisement

furtzy wrote: »
    So to all the idiots on here who seem to hero worship these tax dodgers cop yourselves on as its you who looses out in reduced services or paying more income tax

I for one am not hero worshiping anybody. I just dont have a problem with people avoiding vrt, let people do what they want and keep out of there business. I dont have a problem with peoples opinion but really I have never actually met someone in person with the high horse attitude here. Most people would agree with saving any penny possible and applaud you for it.
    Would ye guys refuse to pay a workman in cash also?

Also Im not losing out as I have not paid the vrt as I am exempt but dont want to reg my car either for other reasons such as not having to pay road tax and untraceable if caught by a speed camera.

or be forced to hold onto the car for a year.

Advertisement