Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Snitch Line: Warning Contains sour grapes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Also Im not losing out as I have not paid the vrt as I am exempt

Exempt? How so?

Zube wrote: »
    Exempt? How so?

Lived outside the state for over a year and I have owned the car for even longer. So I can vrt the car for free if I want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,988 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I for one am not hero worshiping anybody. I just dont have a problem with people avoiding vrt, let people do what they want and keep out of there business. I dont have a problem with peoples opinion but really I have never actually met someone in person with the high horse attitude here. Most people would agree with saving any penny possible and applaud you for it.
    Would ye guys refuse to pay a workman in cash also?

Also Im not losing out as I have not paid the vrt as I am exempt but dont want to reg my car either for other reasons such as not having to pay road tax and untraceable if caught by a speed camera.

or be forced to hold onto the car for a year.

This is about the most invalid comparison ever, yet it always gets brought up by tax dodger apologists

Its the workman's obligation to pay tax - not yours. You have no idea if he is or isn't paying his tax. Theres a good chance he is.

You DO know that someone resident here with a yellow-plate car isn't paying tax - at the very least our road tax. Theres also only a miniscule chance they're actually legal not having paid VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I just dont have a problem with people avoiding vrt, let people do what they want and keep out of there business.

Do you have a problem with people driving uninsured?

Lumen wrote: »
    Do you have a problem with people driving uninsured?

Yes I have a problem with people driving uninsured but that is a totally different issue to not paying vrt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

As an Irish resident it is not legal for you to be driving around on foreign plates, whether you're VRT-exempt or not.

Yes I have a problem with people driving uninsured but that is a totally different issue to not paying vrt.

No it isn't. As I pointed out earlier in this thread (to deafening silence) it is extremely difficult (in my experience) to get insurance in the UK for more than 90 days abroad. It's also extremely difficult (probably impossible) to get insured in Ireland on UK plates.

So in all likelihood he is driving uninsured, or at least breaking the terms of his insurance, which amounts to the same thing.

Stephen wrote: »
    As an Irish resident it is not legal for you to be driving around on foreign plates, whether you're VRT-exempt or not.

Technically I am not an Irish resident until I am back in the country for 6 months and who is to say when the 6 months started?

Lived outside the state for over a year and I have owned the car for even longer. So I can vrt the car for free if I want to.

Ah, I see.

You do realize you are not exempt from the requirement to reregister the car within 1 working day of moving here?

And that customs can seize it any time they stop you?

And that an out-of-date UK tax disc is a dead giveaway? I had two cops quiz me at seperate check-points for that one.

No it isn't. As I pointed out earlier in this thread (to deafening silence) it is extremely difficult (in my experience) to get insurance in the UK for more than 90 days abroad. It's also extremely difficult (probably impossible) to get insured in Ireland on UK plates.

So in all likelihood he is driving uninsured, or at least breaking the terms of his insurance, which amounts to the same thing.

Quinn direct never had a problem insuring me on UK plates or plenty of other people I know once the car is in your name there happy. On the 90 days thing it would not be easy for the UK insurance company to prove you have been gone for more than 90 days.

• Advertisement

Ah, I see.

You do realize you are not exempt from the requirement to reregister the car within 1 working day of moving here?

And that an out-of-date UK tax disc is a dead giveaway? I had two cops quiz me at seperate check-points for that one.

See my previous post about residency.

Technically I am not an Irish resident until I am back in the country for 6 months and who is to say when the 6 months started?

Where do you work?

If you work here and pay tax here, it's going to be hard to argue that you don't live here.

Quinn direct never had a problem insuring me on UK plates or plenty of other people I know once the car is in your name there happy.

That wasn't the case when I brought my car over from the UK. I could only get temporary insurance (for 1 month) until I'd registered the car here. But if you say so, I believe you :)
    On the 90 days thing it would not be easy for the UK insurance company to prove you have been gone for more than 90 days.

They wouldn't need to. If the accident happened in Ireland they would just need to request proof of your travel, and deny the claim if you had none. You would have no recourse, since you would be lying, and you would be in significant poopoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭dubred

may be slightly off topic, but here you can see a car being siezed by a customs officer http://www.rte.ie/tv/customs/ep6.html

That wasn't the case when I brought my car over from the UK. I could only get temporary insurance (for 1 month) until I'd registered the car here. But if you say so, I believe you :)

They wouldn't need to. If the accident happened in Ireland they would just need to request proof of your travel, and deny the claim if you had none. You would have no recourse, since you would be lying, and you would be in significant poopoo.

Well I asked them lots of times as did plenty of people I know and once it was in my name no problem. Insurance cert has the uk reg etc no problems.

When your 90days is nearly up book a cheap crossing back from the uk print the email and there is your proof that you just moved back.**

@Zube. Im not going to give my ideas away on the internet;)

** This is obviously illegal and I am not condoning it nor would I do it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

How is he insured? Does he still have an address in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,988 ✭✭✭✭L1011

And if it was for any significant sum, they'd investigate fully. And if you profferred a few printoffs from ferry firms (which, btw, are not 'cheap' - find me any sailing for less than 90 notes each way), you'd still be screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

I for one am not hero worshiping anybody. I just dont have a problem with people avoiding vrt, let people do what they want and keep out of there business. I dont have a problem with peoples opinion but really I have never actually met someone in person with the high horse attitude here. Most people would agree with saving any penny possible and applaud you for it.
    Would ye guys refuse to pay a workman in cash also?

Also Im not losing out as I have not paid the vrt as I am exempt but dont want to reg my car either for other reasons such as not having to pay road tax and untraceable if caught by a speed camera.

or be forced to hold onto the car for a year.

So you don't have a problem funding the shortfall these people are contributing to? Very short-sighted attitude. But I see you also don't want to pay road tax either. why do you think you don't have to pay your way? Also as other posters have said you still have to re-register your car be it VRT exempt or not within 24 hours of becoming resident in the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

They'll have a hard time stopping you considering they don't have the power to.

ClioV6 wrote: »
    They'll have a hard time stopping you considering they don't have the power to.

Of course they do under the finance Act. If you're in any doubt just watch the last episode of Customs on RTE where they stop and seize the 7 series BMW

• Advertisement

furtzy wrote: »
    Also as other posters have said you still have to re-register your car be it VRT exempt or not within 24 hours of becoming resident in the state.

No I have 6 months to decide whether or not I am going to stay the same as anyone else who moves to the country. As I have been resident outside the country for over a year I am not a resident here until I have been here over 185 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Of course they do under the finance Act. If you're in any doubt just watch the last episode of Customs on RTE where they stop and seize the 7 series BMW

He actually didn't have to stop. He chose to do so, which I guess most people would have done in the circumstances. But he wasn't legally obliged to stop for the customs officer in that scenario. Never wonder why the Gardaí usually stop cars at a dipping checkpoint? That's why. Gardaí can order a vehicle to halt, then customs can dip it etc.

But did he have to stop. If he ignored the customs and kept going would he have been committing an offense?

Edit: Question was answered while I was typing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Can you tell me where under the finance act that it gives Customs the power to stop you.

As far as I'm aware they need the Gardas to stop you and they do the rest..
    so yeah..if you just see customs and no gardas and they tell you to stop...don't. :D

No I have 6 months to decide whether or not I am going to stay the same as anyone else who moves to the country. As I have been resident outside the country for over a year I am not a resident here until I have been here over 185 days.

I wouldn't bet my life on it. The 185 days is one test for residency, and applies to total number of days in one tax year (rather than continuous presence) IIRC.

I imagine the Revenue/Customs use the "if it walks like a duck" test on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

. double post :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

whiterebel wrote: »

Yeah, took me 4 hours 10 minutes from Midleton to Dublin Airport earlier this month. And that was leaving at 5.30am........

Took me 2 1/2 hours to get 4 kilometers near the German border into Holland

Can you tell me where under the finance act that it gives Customs the power to stop you.

so yeah..if you just see customs and no gardas and they tell you to stop...don't. :D

From the Finance Act Section 142

( 2 ) ( a ) Any person in charge of a moving vehicle shall, at the request of an officer of the Commissioners in uniform, stop the vehicle.

and liable to forfeiture under section 139

(5) A vehicle in respect of which an offence under subsection (3) was committed shall be liable to forfeiture.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I wouldn't p!ss about with Customs to be honest. They have more powers than most of the others such as the Gardai. They don't actually require a Search Warrant for a start, even though they normally get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

From the Finance Act Section 142

( 2 ) ( a ) Any person in charge of a moving vehicle shall, at the request of an officer of the Commissioners in uniform, stop the vehicle.

And amazingly, "in uniform" does actually include their hat!
    It is to be noted that officers have no authority to stop vehicles under Section
    134 of the Act unless they are dressed in proper official uniform. In this
    context an officer is not considered to be “in uniform” unless the officer is
    wearing each of the following officially issued garments:-
    1. Headgear: Hat and badge.
    2. Upper Body: Shirt or blouse with a tie or cravat; and / or Jumper,
    Vest, Jacket (including high visibility jacket) and Coat.
    The outer garment must bear rank markings.
    3. Lower Body: Trousers or slacks or skirt.
    It is an offence, liable on summary conviction to a penalty of (€1900), to
    resist, obstruct, or impede an officer in the exercise of this power (Sections
    123 & 124, Finance Act, 2001 refers).

Advertisement