Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heroes 3x06: "Dying of the Light" **SPOILERS**

Options
  • 21-10-2008 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭

PLOT:
    Hiro and others accept offers to join Pinehearst Industries. After the Company is paralyzed, Peter goes to Pinehearst, its rival, for information. Claire and Sandra try to save Meredith from Doyle, one of the escaped villains. Nathan and Tracy come to Mohinder to learn where their abilities came from.

What did you think? 79 votes

Fantastic
    0%
    Good
    32%
    GuinnessmanmewsoIvanMossy MonkDirkVoodooLFCFanAdMMMgazzerCatsmokinpotmlocDiddy KongUser45701Frankieboy[Deleted User]micks[Deleted User]BaldieDubh GeannainBubs101Johnny Bitte 26 votes
    Okay
    46%
    DEmeant0rGoodshapeMr EV9jor elhusseyCactus ColJackzEKRIUQmatrimmise_me_feinmonkeyfudgegeeceedoonothingJuan PabloquazzySherifuJ-blkpyramuid manziedth 37 votes
    Bad
    16%
    Rev HellfireCodeMonkeyFyshMr.Nice GuymaddymcmaddseryoucancallmealToughCookieRedisleJay RuleninbenjaminA-TraineVeNtInEAnnee 13 votes
    I'd rather watch a saucy puppet show!
    3%
    madrabAldebaranjam_on_toast 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

If someone says 'im sorry it had to come to this' and 'give me a hug' in the same breath......dont hug them. That is how idiots lose the powers they didnt use well in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Guinnessman

Good
    Best one so far this season I think

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Okay
    I found it to be a pretty solid episode.

It certainly did a good job of starting to pull the plot strands together.

I like how it's tying back to things we saw in season one. We now know why Nikki had that tattoo on her back... it clearly has something to do with the fact that her powers were engineered by Pinehearst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Good
    Heroes at its best. Best episode in a long time.

Probably nit picking, but would the Company not have been the ones who were responsible before some of them decided it was wrong, which perhaps caused the schism between poppa patrelli and the rest...causing the formation of Pinehearst.

^^^Totally my theory on it thought, so prob wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Okay
    Good spolid episode,the first one this season that I have actually enjoyed. Well almost anyway,if it wasn't for the last minute. How many times are they going to take take Peter's powers away,or have him forget how to use them etc etc. It took most of season 1 for him to turn into a good character and a lot of that was to do with him learning how to use his powers and how to control them. Then in season 2 they revert him back to what he was like at the start of season 1,and it takes all of season 2 for him to learn how to use his powers again. Now once more,we have a powerless Peter. No doubt he will get the powers back by seasons end but its a tired plot.

Was also sad to see Adam Monroe killed off,kind of an anti climax for someone who has been alive for hundreds of years.

Are you kidding. Now we know Claire can die too. More hugz for claire!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Okay
    tvnutz wrote: »
    Was also sad to see Adam Monroe killed off,kind of an anti climax for someone who has been alive for hundreds of years.

Same here, boo-urns!

Best episode this year, about time some of it started to come together. It had to have a stupid moment though, didn't it, and that would be Peter hugging his father in the most predictable evil villain moment ever. Peter=Idiot. He never learns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

Bad
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Okay
    Peter....I am your Father.

And I took your force lightning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

Good
    Very good episode, I really enoyed watching it! Hopefully the rest of the volume will be like this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

Good
    I thought peters power was to take others powers? wouldn't that power his father had not work on him???!!?!?!

apart from that plot hole it was an awesome episode + peter had powers in the future so we know his father is going to die at some stage.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Bad
    the major flaws were; Parkman and Daphne thing... who would ever say 'we're married in the future' to someone you've never met? seriously? cockup number one.

the second was Hiro and Ando in Africa. 'let's wait and hide'... yeah, like he's not gonna notice the two chattering Japs outside who would be practically freezing to death anyway in the desert at that hour.

Hayden's atrocious acting spoiled a pretty damn good scene between the three women and the puppeteer guy. wish the mother had aimed a little higher and accidentally destroyed that vulnerable spot of hers where her spine meets her brain. now that would have been a good scene.

killing off Monroe. wasn't a bad scene or anything, but i just thought his character was better than about 3/4s of the other characters in the series. i just thought what a waste... writers constantly killing off the characters with potential for the easy plot line.

the Mohindar scene made no sense either. he's been turned into an aggressive bad ass bollocks of a fellow yet it only takes a few sweet words to let him take his guard down?

Sylar's character is awful now. this 'hunger' crap is bull****... just isn't working. i'm hoping this is just a charade from him, but even if it's a charade it makes for some pretty awful television.

and then of course the 'happy families' moment. probably the worst bit of writing so far in the series. oh noes yet another story arc where Peter loses his powers... wasn't expecting that at all... what makes it worse is that you can see it happen the moment the scene begins, yet you still hope, you know, just in case the writers might actually have something good instore, but they never do.

no idea why i watch this show still... something to do i guess.

edit:
    I thought peters power was to take others powers? wouldn't that power his father had not work on him???!!?!?!

apart from that plot hole it was an awesome episode + peter had powers in the future so we know his father is going to die at some stage.....

Interesting statement, and one that leads me too a tangent; Multiverse theory works by basically creating an infinite number of realities in which every possible state occurs, and these might possibly affect each other indirectly via the quantum level. And from what I'm seeing, the heroes crew are making a primitive attempt to play on this. future Peter already said his future doesn't come to pass, so we can't say with certainty that he regains his powers. it's one of the few active interests i hold in the show, as to how they attempt to resolve all these paradoxes. although from what i'm seeing recently, I'm expecting them to make a colossal quagmire of it and take the easy option again.

we should probably create a pool as to how he regains them, given the limits of their imagination I'm sure we could come up with the actual solution. my guess is that Peter's powers are a primitive version of his dads, and so his Da can't fully absorb what exists in him already we'll start to see them come back eventually... when he's 'under stress' or something and it finally clicks he still has his original power, after all so far in the show his absorbing powers have never fully been consciously used by him, it's more a case of him figuring it out under stress, or like Sylar practically co-erced him into absorbing his, he wouldn't have been able to absorb them on his own conscious intentions seemingly. he still has no real control over this aspect of them i'm thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Good
    Adam's demise made sense. Poppa Petrelli's ability, and I'm only speculating, seems to be actually removing people's abilities, not removing/figuring them out like peter/sylar.

So at the end, he takes peter's ability, inheriting all his absorbed abilities and leaving peter "normal". This would explain why when he takes Adam's power, the 300 year old chap becomes a "normal" 300 year old chap....or a pile of dust.

I thought it was good, they must think that Adam's story has run its course and the return of Mr.Petrelli is a more enticing proposition.

Still think that the lack of overall narrative clarity vis-a-vis season 1 makes it harder to get excited. We all knew that season 1 was building up to this climactic showdown between Sylar and Peter. This season they seem to be chopping and changing by the episode. But I suppose that is the point when everyone has the "potential to be a villain":rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Okay
    Surely if they thought Adam's story had run its course they would have left him in the coffin? Does that mean Arthur is immortal now that he took Adam's ability?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Okay
    Finally a good episode.
    DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Adam's demise made sense. Poppa Petrelli's ability, and I'm only speculating, seems to be actually removing people's abilities, not removing/figuring them out like peter/sylar.

So at the end, he takes peter's ability, inheriting all his absorbed abilities and leaving peter "normal". This would explain why when he takes Adam's power, the 300 year old chap becomes a "normal" 300 year old chap....or a pile of dust.

Thats exactly what I thought. There are two things though. 1) They could just have used Adam's blood to heal Pa Petrelli. 2) Adam's power heals him and keeps him young so his body was that of a 30 year old when his powers were taken so shouldn't he just have aged normally from then on? Its only a small thing and as I said I can see why they had him crumble. Sorry to see him go though.

I liked the way Hiro saved Ando but the first time Hiro met Daphne she could move 'normally' when he froze time. So she should have noticed the split second he took to decide what to do before he traveled to the shop and got the sword. Also on the real sword he left in the joke shop, somebody who buys it thinking its a fake sword is in for a surprise.

Peter, Sylar and their father all have a similiar power. The ability to learn/take others powers. Does this mean that the power you get is genetic? Mohinder is going to get his hands on the formula either from the company's formula or from perfecting it himself. When he does Peter will be given/take the injection. So if genetics does play a part in deciding your power he should have the exact power he started out with, the ability to learn others powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

MYSTERY SOCK is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Bad
    The Don wrote: »
    Peter, Sylar and their father all have a similiar power. The ability to learn/take others powers. Does this mean that the power you get is genetic?
    I think it means that the writers on the show clearly sees this kind of power as the most badass and they don't have a problem with reusing powers. :D Only the most important villain and hero have this power. Nathan and Clare got different powers and they are from the same lineage.
    Mohinder is going to get his hands on the formula either from the company's formula or from perfecting it himself. When he does Peter will be given/take the injection. So if genetics does play a part in deciding your power he should have the exact power he started out with, the ability to learn others powers.
    Peter will probably get his original powers back from an injection but I doubt the writers will worry about why it's not a random power.

It's an ok episode, nothing too annoying in it like the previous ones in season 3 apart from maybe the people using their power way too much in public (daphne in the airport and hiro in the bar).

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    Nathan and Clare got different powers and they are from the same lineage.

I'd imagine the powers that come from the real Petrelli lineage (arthur's, peter's and sylar's) constitute a different level of genetic adaptation or something. It would make sense for it to be a sort of "second evolution" for their powers to be an evolutionary response to the powers of others, as they don't make sense in isolation.

Hence Nathan and Claire got "basic" evolutionary abilities instead of the reactive abilities of the others because nathan's was induced and claire's was a product of that.

Just a theory from a developmental point of view. It would make sense that the "Petrelli power" is a more parasitic evolution, making them more likely to be villains.

Other theory: Stronger powers are dominant over weaker powers, ie the petrelli kids get Arthur's ability instead of Angela's as they are at a higher level. The same could be said of Matt and Maury, again which seems to be a strong power which could be genetically dominant or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Bad
    MatthewVII wrote: »
    I'd imagine the powers that come from the real Petrelli lineage (arthur's, peter's and sylar's) constitute a different level of genetic adaptation or something. It would make sense for it to be a sort of "second evolution" for their powers to be an evolutionary response to the powers of others, as they don't make sense in isolation.
    Yeah but do you actually think the writers really pay that much attention to the details? We already have 2 healers (clare and adam), 2 flyers (clare's boyfriend in season2 and nathan) and the precogs (african guy and Isaac) etc. Do they make sense in isolation or are they related? Evolving the abilities to break all physical laws also makes no sense. I stand by what I said about the writers just think it's badass and they stick the badass abilities on the most important villains and heroes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Just a theory from a developmental point of view. It would make sense that the "Petrelli power" is a more parasitic evolution, making them more likely to be villains.

Other theory: Stronger powers are dominant over weaker powers, ie the petrelli kids get Arthur's ability instead of Angela's as they are at a higher level. The same could be said of Matt and Maury, again which seems to be a strong power which could be genetically dominant or something

Have to wonder where father Petrelli got his powers. Did he just find it one day or did he get the injection once the formula was discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

Mantel wrote: »
    Have to wonder where father Petrelli got his powers. Did he just find it one day or did he get the injection once the formula was discovered.

Well it seems that the company came up with the formula in the first place so i doubt it came from an injection. The graphic novels detail that Arthur was a normal enough guy in the vietnam war so I imagine it was just a newly acquired power. The fact that he was in the war in the first place might mean his family weren't rich, influential so they might have had no powers and he was just a new mutation

Okay
    CodeMonkey wrote: »
    Peter will probably get his original powers back from an injection but I doubt the writers will worry about why it's not a random power.
    They probably don't.
    Mantel wrote: »
    Well it seems that the company came up with the formula in the first place so i doubt it came from an injection. The graphic novels detail that Arthur was a normal enough guy in the vietnam war so I imagine it was just a newly acquired power. The fact that he was in the war in the first place might mean his family weren't rich, influential so they might have had no powers and he was just a new mutation

We haven't found out yet how they got their powers. Either they had their powers from birth or they developed the formula. As Adam has had his power with 300 years it was an evolutionary step back then. So it only follows that others in that time have had powers aswell. Angela said that Nathan wasn't born with his powers and that they gave them to him. If they only developed the formula when he was a kid then they had to have their powers since birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Okay
    I think yee or the writers are missing a plot hole with Peter getting his powers back, I think they cant be the exact same powers as before becasue he has the scar in the future and gets killed by simply being shot.

Anyway, I thought it was a class episode. Its really setting it up for decent season. My only hope is that bloody Maya is going to stay in that web thing for ever. It is a pity about Adam but I dod think he had run his course as his ability was fairly weak.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Bad
    I thought this episode continues the trend of being better than season 2 and moving the various stories along fast enough to keep it interesting, but they've got some rubbish character work going on. Clare is just irritating at this point, Mohinder is flip-flopping unconvincingly between a manipulative git and a vulnerable victim, Hiro seems to oscillate between being clued-in and being a complete dumb-ass depending on what the plot requires...and the best "small" villain they'd introduced in a good while (the puppeteer) is now out of the picture, though hopefully not for good.

TBH the overall story for this season has been hit-and-miss, it's fast paced but has loads of plot holes. So much for Tim Kring's "Yeah, I have 5 volumes planned out in full" claims from back when season 1 was running...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Good
    The episode reinstilled some faith in the series for me.

But man Peter really is a dumbass. With all his learning ability I wish he'd develop/inherit some super intelligence (now that would be an interesting power - the ability to use 100% of your brain or something), and stop being such a gullible fruit.

"Give me a hug" :eek: You've got to be kidding.

Reminded me a bit of Dr. Evil trying to hug Scott :D

Okay
    ziedth wrote: »
    I think yee or the writers are missing a plot hole with Peter getting his powers back, I think they cant be the exact same powers as before becasue he has the scar in the future and gets killed by simply being shot.

It would explain the scar. He'll get his original ability back and will have to 're-learn' all the other abilities. So if he doesn't come into contact with Clair or someone else with a healing ability before he got the scar he should keep it? But before he went back in time he met Clair so he should have got her ability then. So he should have had it when she shot him. The Hatian was there but afterward in the morgue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Bad
    The Don wrote: »
    It would explain the scar. He'll get his original ability back and will have to 're-learn' all the other abilities.

nope, it doesn't really. remember future Peter altered the course of his timeline by coming to the past (of course this isn't actually possible, but it didn't stop the writers from making a mess of it anyway). Nathan didn't get shot in future Peter's original time-line, he said that hisself iirc, that he told the whole world that day. the future He was killed in was a different reality from whence he came, so we should have no reason to assume he will get them back to the same as they were before (although given the lack of imagination from the writers it's still probably a safe bet).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Good
    Sylar needs to look at a brain.
    Pa Petrelli needs to touch someone.
    Peter just needs to be near them/see them use their power?

Isnt it possible that he'll get Pa Petrelli's power in the same instant Pa Petrelli takes the others from him and bang he gets them back immediately by grabbing his Da.

• Advertisement

Yes but you are forgetting one thing.

Peter Petrelli = Idiot/Annoying character

Advertisement