Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drafting appeal letter over VRT

Options
  • 21-10-2008 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

I have searched for something similar in motors but cannot find anything in those threads like this so....
    I'm about to draft an appeals letter over the amount of VRT charged on a car. I bought a 07' BMW 320D M sport, 29K in England. I researched the car, checked the VRT calculator etc and came up with a 20% rate which works out at E7598. Fine i thought went to pay it and they charged me an extra 2 grand! They came up with a list of extra's the length of my arm. Now i accept things like sat nav will be considered extras and it says on the VRT site additional charges will apply for enhancements. But some of the things they consider as extras are just ridiculous i think. Your opinions please on the list.

1. Metallic paint E967
    2. Leather seats E1804
    3. Comfort access system E774
    4. Arm rest E193
    5. Elec sunroof E1224
    6. Floor mats E130
    7. Anti dazzle mirrors E319
    8. Elec seat adjustment E1611
    9. Heated seats E463
    10. Park dist control E517
    11. Xenon lights E1134
    12. Sat Nav E3024
    13. Hifi system E1480
    14. Sun protection glazing E351

Thats a grand total of E13,991.00 in extras according to them. Now are they taking the piss or what. Floor mats! Anti dazzle mirrors! Arm rest! Metallic paint! Hifi Radio! Sun Glazing FFS! How could i have found out about all this crap or the fact that they would be considered extras before I bought the car?? A radio is a radio to me and I presumed Leather seats would be it and not three seperate charges for heat and adjusting too. Leather seats and the sat nav were as much as i was expecting to be hit for. Even now I don't know what the hell sun glazing is much less before I bought the car.

Is this totally excessive or am I just being nieve here. Should I just bend over and take it and shut up? Any point appealing? Seems really unjust to me (but there again it would;)) to have to fork over an extra 2grand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I have searched for something similar in motors but cannot find anything in those threads like this so....
    I'm about to draft an appeals letter over the amount of VRT charged on a car. I bought a 07' BMW 320D M sport, 29K in England. I researched the car, checked the VRT calculator etc and came up with a 20% rate which works out at E7598. Fine i thought went to pay it and they charged me an extra 2 grand! They came up with a list of extra's the length of my arm. Now i accept things like sat nav will be considered extras and it says on the VRT site additional charges will apply for enhancements. But some of the things they consider as extras are just ridiculous i think. Your opinions please on the list.

1. Metallic paint E967
    2. Leather seats E1804
    3. Comfort access system E774
    4. Arm rest E193
    5. Elec sunroof E1224
    6. Floor mats E130
    7. Anti dazzle mirrors E319
    8. Elec seat adjustment E1611
    9. Heated seats E463
    10. Park dist control E517
    11. Xenon lights E1134
    12. Sat Nav E3024
    13. Hifi system E1480
    14. Sun protection glazing E351

Thats a grand total of E13,991.00 in extras according to them. Now are they taking the piss or what. Floor mats! Anti dazzle mirrors! Arm rest! Metallic paint! Hifi Radio! Sun Glazing FFS! How could i have found out about all this crap or the fact that they would be considered extras before I bought the car?? A radio is a radio to me and I presumed Leather seats would be it and not three seperate charges for heat and adjusting too. Leather seats and the sat nav were as much as i was expecting to be hit for. Even now I don't know what the hell sun glazing is much less before I bought the car.

Is this totally excessive or am I just being nieve here. Should I just bend over and take it and shut up? Any point appealing? Seems really unjust to me (but there again it would;)) to have to fork over an extra 2grand.

They have you over a barrell really, you've bought the car so they know your going to have to cough up. Charging you for floor mats is taking the p!ss a bit :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

With BMW they can check the options on the car with an online system by entering the chassis number.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You've obviously never bought a BMW new. Wheels are extras.

What was the total VRT bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

TBH, you could and should have checked the specification both with the seller and with the VRO before you bought the car. The things you've listed are all factory options, and they do add to the value of the car. To look on the bright side, though, the Logic7 HiFi system is really, really good.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Lumen wrote: »
    You've obviously never bought a BMW new. Wheels are extras.

What was the total VRT bill?

Nope, first time buying any BMW and I thought it was only VAG who screwed people for extras like elec windows and a steering wheel... Final VRT bill was E9800. Now that you mention it the car has ungraded alloys but they must be standard with the M Sport spec as the VRT Nazi's have not screwed me for them too.

I was shocked at the amount of things they considered extra's. Extremely pissed off. Still writing them the letter if for no other reason then to vent my frustrations. Shower of cnuts.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    TBH, you could and should have checked the specification both with the seller and with the VRO before you bought the car. The things you've listed are all factory options, and they do add to the value of the car. To look on the bright side, though, the Logic7 HiFi system is really, really good.:)

Lesson learned i suppose. I would have done a lot more research if I knew all these were considered extra's, floor mats FFS.....

Tis a joy to drive tbh and your right the radio system is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Why are they charging you for extras which you have already paid for in the purchase of the car?? Obviously your car would have higher VRT than a bog standard one but this is really taking piss altogether.

And another question, who could you complain to besides the VRT? TD maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Dealing with such a new car, you really have to check what extras are there as you will pay for them after all we all pay vrt on them when buying a new car in ireland. I think the revenue reduce the charge for extras depending on age (25% PER YEAR) So a 4 year old car will not cost more with extras which is fair because its really not going to be worth any more at that age. Did they charge you 75% of 20% of €13,991?
    Remember though that the extras you have are desireable and looking at your list I would pick everyone of them. You should go and drive a model without any of those extras, you would then be happier writing the cheque the €2,000.

TheNog wrote: »
    Why are they charging you for extras which you have already paid for in the purchase of the car?? Obviously your car would have higher VRT than a bog standard one but this is really taking piss altogether.

Because they are Nazi cnuts! I paid extra when buying the car because it has leather seats and sat nav and now I'm getting humped again.
    TheNog wrote: »
    And another question, who could you complain to besides the VRT? TD maybe?

You complain first to the VRT and then if your still not happy to an independent assessor.

mickdw wrote: »
    Dealing with such a new car, you really have to check what extras are there as you will pay for them after all we all pay vrt on them when buying a new car in ireland. I think the revenue reduce the charge for extras depending on age (25% PER YEAR) So a 4 year old car will not cost more with extras which is fair because its really not going to be worth any more at that age. Did they charge you 75% of 20% of €13,991?
    Remember though that the extras you have are desireable and looking at your list I would pick everyone of them. You should go and drive a model without any of those extras, you would then be happier writing the cheque the €2,000.

True enough I suppose. 2g is not too bad considering the car. It's just some of the things they consider extra that are making me mad. It's looks like they are milking it (with floor mats etc) so they can get as much money as possible out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It's just some of the things they consider extra that are making me mad. It's looks like they are milking it (with floor mats etc) so they can get as much money as possible out of me.
    BMW decide what's an extra, not the VRT office. There's no 'consider' about it, each car has a build sheet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Car-dealer

Jesus,

you think people on here would be trying their best to help anyone who owns a car in Ireland and has imported it from the UK, to save money on VRT - particularly as VRT is totally unethical, unfair, anti-competitive.

My Dear Friend, I hope you might take my advice,

please do appeal, dont just appeal for the extras, also appeal on the VRT valulation of the car, you can look at values at the moment and suggest that due to the depressed market these 'asking values' are not achieved 'sales values' and ask that the VRT OMSP should be reduced by 15%

Actually I would like one of the Moderators to Put Up a Thread at the Top of the Motor Section Telling Everyone that Appealing VRT is the way to go

Second, appeal concerning the extras

Please Please Please just appeal, even if you think you wont get a penny, because it uses up VRT time and resources, time and resources you me and many other people are paying for via the corrupt VRT system.

less than 1% of people that import Appeal VRT OMSP -

yet it is likely that more than 80% of VRT OMSP are over-stated in todays downward car market

yet around 80% of those who Appeal get some refund

lets make it 100% of people that VRT Appeal - use their time and resources and get some of your money back!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 legend1981

i brought in a saab 93 from the north...paid over 4 grand in vrt and it was a 04 model... raging i was but had to pay it..i was told to appeal it and i will...soon i hope...just dont know what to say yet...for that poor bmw owner..been honest got you screwed..poor fecker..did they even look at your car...they did nt look at mine..i bet if you just said it was a 320 whatever they'd have charged you feck all..they do rip ya off big time its a dodgy system they preety much made up there own prices...

they'll take every penny if they can..when i was in the cue some car deaker was having a fight with the teller about the price he ws charging them...

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

anyone been successful in an appeal please post details although i think there is few positive results to date

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Had a similar situation where there was a pack of extras fitted to the UK car for about ST 300 when I imported it the Irish dealers don't have the same option pack so I was charged the VRT on the cost of the extras here about 1000 euro worth of extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Which VRO was this in?

Would they look at the extras on a (sept) 2005 Audi A4?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Anan1 wrote: »
    BMW decide what's an extra, not the VRT office. There's no 'consider' about it, each car has a build sheet.

Exactly. If the value of the car including all the extras is overstated by Revenue then appeal it, and provide back up for your case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dunser

Hey Fozzy

You might get in touch with me, I just have bought a Merc c220 2 weeks ago, I had done all my research, The VRT was coming in at 9500 and I allowed an extra 1400 for extras but when I went down to pay the VRT the ended up charging me 12800 a whopping extra 2k. they have over valued the car based on OMSP and that is why I am launcing an appeal. Even if I dont get a penny back I dont care but I am going to make that Shower work for their money. They were totally rude to deal with and I gave them a piece of my mind after I had paid the VRT. I will be doing my appeal this week.

Cheers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

^Hope your appeal is succesful!

Are these extras on newer cars? Because Im getting a 97 car from the Uk in a week or so!

dunser wrote: »
    Hey Fozzy

You might get in touch with me, I just have bought a Merc c220 2 weeks ago, I had done all my research, The VRT was coming in at 9500 and I allowed an extra 1400 for extras but when I went down to pay the VRT the ended up charging me 12800 a whopping extra 2k. they have over valued the car based on OMSP and that is why I am launcing an appeal. Even if I dont get a penny back I dont care but I am going to make that Shower work for their money. They were totally rude to deal with and I gave them a piece of my mind after I had paid the VRT. I will be doing my appeal this week.

Cheers

Best of luck with it. As someone else said earlier in this thread based on todays market for second hand cars in Ireland there is no way the VRT OMSP can be accurate.

I sent off a letter last week so I'm awaiting a response, hopefully this week. I will be appealling it again to the independent assesor regardless of the response I get as i doubt they will refund the 2 extra grand they screwed me out of.

I will let you all know how i get on with my initial appeal as soon as i get a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 legend1981

frozzie what did you have to send off with your appeal

• Advertisement

legend1981 wrote: »
    frozzie what did you have to send off with your appeal

I was mainly appealing being charged additional VRT for extra's which I had no idea where classed as extra's. Things like mats, arm rest, anti dazzle mirror. You get a phamplet in the VRT office which out lines how to appeal. I printed off some similar cars from carzone, CBG etc and enclosed these as examples of prices. Also copies of all paperwork relating to the car and a print off from the VRT calculator on the web showing the amount of VRT i was initially quoted and thought I'd be paying. I also explained there was not really a lot i could do to check or anyway for me to know that all the items i listed would be extras.

Not really a lot more I could enclose or add. The first appeal goes to the VRT themselves. If still unhappy with their decision you then appeal to an independent assesor. After this there is no more you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

I thought leather was standard on a M Sport. Surely then can't class that as a factory add on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

tvr wrote: »
    I thought leather was standard on a M Sport. Surely then can't class that as a factory add on?

It depends on if it is standard in the Irish Market, not the UK market.

Advertisement