Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Patrol

Options
  • 21-10-2008 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,332 ✭✭✭✭

Dont know why im starting this thred in Alternative & Indie but does anyone else think that Snow Patrol are [EMAIL="CR@P"]CR@P[/EMAIL]?
    How insipid and nothing is their music.
    The new single sounds like an ad for a recruitment drive/shopping centre in the Lisburn/Coleraine area or something.
    Music for people that dont like music....

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Birneybau wrote: »
    Dont know why im starting this thred in Alternative & Indie but does anyone else think that Snow Patrol are [EMAIL="CR@P"]CR@P[/EMAIL]?
    How insipid and nothing is their music.
    The new single sounds like an ad for a recruitment drive/shopping centre in the Lisburn/Coleraine area or something.
    Music for people that dont like music....

Lol! Great description!
    I dont like snow patrol per say (i focus my hating attention on keane) but they have a couple of good tunes spittng games from the second album, hands (eyes?) open etc. New song is horrible tho I agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

I think their new song is pritty good...not quiet up to the other hits...but still a good song

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

New song is absolute ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

New song is pretty bad in fairness - I hate the way he says "woah woah oh oh" at the end of every line.

Snow Patrol are ok - "Spitting Games", "You're All I Have" and "Open Your Eyes" are all really good. But I wouldn't go buy their albums or see them live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I havent heard the new single... link?

is it really bad. I like snowpatrol, but only for a few songs, i wouldnt listen to their entire album or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

I heard something by them recently, i was in a shop and they where pumping it in. They are just so bland, no other word for it, this particlar song just stumbled along with nothing musically or lyrically interesting occurring, it was as if they where afraid that an attempt at something interesting, new or different might break the magic spell of success.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Their first two albums are two of the best albums ever made in my opinion. Their 3rd and 4th, and presumably their 5th, album are all terrible. Muck. Muck. Muck....Muck.

I had a little rant about them a few days ago. Love/Hate.
    I dont like snow patrol per say (i focus my hating attention on keane) but they have a couple of good tunes spittng games from the second album, hands (eyes?) open etc. New song is horrible tho I agree!

That is from their 3rd album.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭c7

I'm not mad about them to be honest, like a few of their songs like Chocolate, Spitting Games etc. but I can see where the bland thing comes from.

I read somewhere they got music lessons before doing the new album!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I love a few of their tunes like Open your Eyes , Run , Spitting Games , they are a decent band imo , wouldn't rush out to buy any of their albums but they made the fatal mistake of becoming popular so now people think they are crap

Ah they aren't a bad band by any means. It's not their fault but 'Chasing Cars' lost them a lot of older fans after it was murdered by radio stations.

They are terrible live though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

<indiesnob>I really liked their earlier stuff... "Songs about Polar Bears" and "When Its All Over..." - songs like "Ask Me How I Am" and "One Night Is Not Enough" are terrific, and in regular rotation on my iPod.

Its also worth checking out spinoff/supergroup band the Reindeer Section....

Hope to listen to the new SP album shortly... there is bound to be a few good songs on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

They remind me of 'The Eagles'. Slow, boring, over-sentimental. Its just easy listening, thats all it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Mr E wrote: »
    <indiesnob>I really liked their earlier stuff... "Songs about Polar Bears" and "When Its All Over..." - songs like "Ask Me How I Am" and "One Night Is Not Enough" are terrific, and in regular rotation on my iPod.

Its also worth checking out spinoff/supergroup band the Reindeer Section....

Hope to listen to the new SP album shortly... there is bound to be a few good songs on there.

There first 2 albums are very different to their later ones. The new one is good. Not great. No songs I hate on it. A couple I like & i'm sure i'll grow to love over time. The last track on the album is epic to say the least, 16mins long :eek: !

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, listened to it this afternoon... I like it. None of the songs have been played off the radio yet (give it time!), so its all pretty fresh. You're right - that last 16 minute song is very good - I was expecting a 2 minute song, 10 minutes of silence and a random hidden track at the end. I was surprised to find that it was a full song.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

don't really like them anymore. first two albums are good i think, particularly the first, but they've gone downhill since then imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Giving the new album a listen now.. but absolutely loathe the first single!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

They are cack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 richiejg

I'm waiting for album, should be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

like a lot of current bands i like some of their songs but could not see myself sitting through whole album or concert. IMHO i think their current single is ok nothing great but not [EMAIL="s@#%"]s@#%[/EMAIL] either

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

ZakAttak wrote: »
    They remind me of 'The Eagles'. Slow, boring, over-sentimental. Its just easy listening, thats all it is.

I think the Dude said it best:

The Dude: Jesus, man, could you change the channel?
    Cab Driver: **** you man. If you don't like my ****in' music get your own ****in' cab!
    The Dude: I had a rough...
    Cab Driver: I pull over and kick your ass out!
    The Dude: Come on, man. I had a rough night and I hate the ****in' Eagles, man!

Reindeer scetion are a great act, i find it hard to listen to older snow pattrol cos their new stuff is so ****ing awful.

I'm not sure who's worse - keane, snow patrol, the script?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

lordgoat wrote: »
    I'm not sure who's worse - keane, snow patrol, the script?

Ah, the $64,000 question!

I'd go with The Script - Keane have one decent song, Snow Patrol have a few. I have yet to hear MyTown The Script release anything that isn't crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Birneybau wrote: »
    LOL - brilliant! :D
    And so true!

I still like it though... :)

Moved from A/I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

I can take them or leave them. I love a lot a lot of their songs, especially Set Fire to the Third Bar, Signal Fire (brilliant video), Open your Eyes and Grazed Knees and but as said above some of it is muck. I really do not like Beginning to get to me, I think its rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I'm a big Snow Patrol fan, but must admit i dont think the new album is great. Ive only listened to it twice though, so it might grow on me

The problem I have with this album is that there absolutely nothing you haven't heard before on it. I might as well have been listening to Final Straw or Eyes Open.

EDIT: Though I have to say, I really like the first song on the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Like a lot of people, I was not familiar with Snow Patrol until the success of their third album "Final Straw", and the singles from it. I bought the album and I thought that it was very enjoyable listening. I like all the tracks, except I think the last one "Same" is a bit weak, just tolerable. Pleasantly surprising discoveries for me included "Gleaming Auction", "Whatever's Left" and "Somewhere A Clock is Ticking".

I then got their next album - "Eyes Open". There are some brilliant songs, some songs which are good and a couple of weak tunes. Overall, I think it is very good. While it was the single releases that attracted me in the first place, I eventually got drawn to tracks I had not heard before, including two of the bonus tracks. While I still like the singles from that album, I am not quite as enthusiastic about them as when I first heard them, the exception being "Shut Your Eyes" - I just love the guitar riff in that song. I also love "You Could Be Happy", "The Finish Line", "In My Arms" and "Warmer Climate".

Snow Patrol's new single is ok, but not as good as previous releases.

So, no - I think Snow Patrol are good.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

They're depressingly bland.

But depressingly bland sells. See Coldplay for proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

As bland as stale bread and completely generic. Their level of success mystifies me. No matter how many times a day Today FM play their songs and fawn over their supposed genius, it fails me. Maybe I'm too much of a heathen to recognise talent when I hear it.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The problem I have with this album is that there absolutely nothing you haven't heard before on it. I might as well have been listening to Final Straw or Eyes Open.

Just to illustrate that point, listen to 'Engines' off the new album and then put on 'Shut Your Eyes' from 'Eyes Open'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BobbyDolio

Picked it up for 699 on 7dig. Not as good as Final Straw, still better than most of the rubbish on the chart. Leon Jackson?! :confused: For the love of...

Advertisement