Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Rip off

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Hamndegger wrote: »
    It may surprise us to know that the taxi market most famed worldwide for a rigid and well versed driver knowledge and car standard, London, also has a market that has no cap on taxis and drivers. The trick in London is that TfL (And their Carriage Office predecessors) make it hard enough for somebody to become a taxi driver in London and to pass a cab out as suitable. This ensures that the trade affords it's workers some protection from newer entrants and it allows passengers piece of mind that a drivers knows his way from A to B. While such a standard may be excessive IMO, it does show that when the bar is raised, all sides of the trade benefit when it is done right and this is not the case here in Ireland.

isn't there a huge amount of minicabs (many unlicensed) plying for trade in London? which would suggest that while taxi standards are high, there aren't enough of them. (I'm asking this as a question btw - I haven't been to London for years...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

loyatemu wrote: »
    isn't there a huge amount of minicabs (many unlicensed) plying for trade in London? which would suggest that while taxi standards are high, there aren't enough of them. (I'm asking this as a question btw - I haven't been to London for years...)

There is a problem with them, yes. Hang around Soho, Shaftsbury Avenue, Leicester Square etc late on and they are hawking for fares. As with any part of the world, there will be crunch times when it is harder to get taxis but the answer isn't merely to make more taxis for those hours as your surplus has to work the other 20 hours a day as well which is where it hurts the service providers most. Shops and hotels traditionally take on more staff towards Christmas as these are busy times from them but they will let go the casual cover when the peak season ends; it isn't possible when one if a sole trader to do this.

For the record, I personally feel that there is a big role for some level of part time cover in the taxi game for the peak weekend times but the trick is in ensuring that the part time taxis work just certain set hours, leaving the full time industry to survive and earn a crust throughout the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭james116

hi guys i am a taxi driver in dublin somebody put up a post about seals on taxi meters with the new fares starting next saturday the n c t are the body now who look after and there is no seals on them any more from next week if u have hassle with drivers just tell them to pull over and get out of the car and if u are a women on her own call one out it will only cost 2 euro and u will have some come back all the taxi reg wants is too hand out fines and its up to the garda take them to court.if u want any more info post it and i will try to help:)

• Having just read about the illegal taxis, I think I might have got one the other day. I've found lately though that some of the drivers (they were all African, it has to be said) haven't a bleeding clue where they're going. Twice in the last month I got a taxi from Dawson Street to Grand Canal Street and had to direct them the whole way. The last time, the guy tried to insist that GCS was on the north side and tried to turn down towards Pearse St instead of going straight on, even arguing me that I was wrong. I was going to my own flat at the time, FFS! Another time a few weeks ago I was heading to the Liberties with a friend and the driver again hadn't a clue where to go and had to be told every turn to take. I don't care where the driver comes from, but it's an absolute joke having people driving taxis who blatantly don't know the city at all, and to make matters worse, drive all over the place getting lost and charging you for it.

Advertisement