Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help a Dublin newbie find a nice (and cheap!) place to eat

Options
  • 21-10-2008 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

Evening all.

I've just moved up to DCU from Waterford and I'm organising a little reunion with some friends from the past, and I'm looking for some restaurant recommendations. Now we're all in our late teens so money is pretty important to us, but we don't want to go somewhere in the dumps. Just something reasonable and not too far from the city centre.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Market Bar, about e11.50 for a very filling main course and you can grab pints from the bar too.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

independant pizza in drumcondra, I love that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Indo Pizza is a great spot. Drumcondra is a tad far out though. Plenty of buses all the same.

I'm a big fan of Govinda's if it's during the day you're going - IE, before 6/7 - I'm not sure what time it closes at though. There's one on Baggot St, Abbey St and Georges St.

Lunchtime, Epicurian Foodhall has loads of options too.

If you fancy a few pints, with and after, The Bull And Castle has some great pub grub and beers, but it's a bit pricey.

Tbh, back when I first moved up for college, the best thing we could do is get a big bag of pasta, a decent sauce, some chicken and bacon, and cook at home! Make some simple starters and some garlic bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

wagamama! just off stephens green! soooo yum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Tbh, back when I first moved up for college, the best thing we could do is get a big bag of pasta, a decent sauce, some chicken and bacon, and cook at home! Make some simple starters and some garlic bread.

I would actually do that if I didn't live in the prison that is Larkfield Apts in DCU :rolleyes:

But thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll check em out.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Fajitas! wrote: »
    If you fancy a few pints, with and after, The Bull And Castle has some great pub grub and beers, but it's a bit pricey.

Do you mean the Elephant and Castle?

Nope Bull and Castle is next to Jurys in Christchurch.

I wouldn't go for Wagamama op on the basis you'll be in and out within half an hour so you'll have to go somewhere else then anyway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Mongolian BBQ in Temple Bar maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Welcome to Dublin deise.

Keep an eye out for the early bird blackboards knocking around the city centre. Amazing value to be had, particularly in the ethnic places.

I haven't been here, but I here the Hop House on Parnell st. is great. Its a Korean place, great prices, interesting food with pitchers of beer for 12 Euro.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Anybody know of places where you can bring your own wine?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭veritable

it will be hard to find a cheap place in this city!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The Port House in wicklow st do inexpensive tapas-style food.
    Its between 4-6 quid for a portion.Best thing to do is share a few between people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

veritable wrote: »
    it will be hard to find a cheap place in this city!

I find it easy to be honest. There are certainly lots of very expensive places, but there is value to be got, early birds and reasonably priced places are everywhere. You just have to get out there and look.

Degsy, there is, can't for the life of me think of it, I will get back to you.

+ 1 on the Port House, great value, huge glasses of wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

jdivision wrote: »
    Market Bar, about e11.50 for a very filling main course and you can grab pints from the bar too.

+1. Great spot. Good tapas. Good atmosphere and very casual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Degsy wrote: »

There's an Indian in Donnybrook that lets you bring your own wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My place Degsy. Bring all you have especially French reds. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

The Long Stone on Pearse Street does great pub grub. Big portions and only about a tenner for a main course

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Dublin is brilliant for cheap places to eat.

just wander around and look at the early bird menus

boccos on anne street, is really good value and the ceder tree on andrew street. they are my current favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

deise59 wrote: »
    I would actually do that if I didn't live in the prison that is Larkfield Apts in DCU :rolleyes:

Aha!

Fun times then. If it's over by DCU you are, then you're on a good few buses that'll drop you off in Drumcondra, so Independent Pizza is a safe bet. Has a pretty good menu :) You're beside Quinn's too... If you're into that sort of thing.

Another handy option is jumping on a No. 4 bus and heading down to McGowans at the bottom end of Phibsboro. They do decent enough pub grub for pretty standard prices, and you can have a few drinks there too - It gets busy at night though (Actually, I used to live down the road in my first year, so every time my parents were up, we'd pop in there)
    Samson wrote: »
    Do you mean the Elephant and Castle?

Nope, Bull & Castle up by Christchurch, it has a beer hall with plenty of Irish brews and other bits and pieces from around the world, meat is all FXB's too - Think Porterhouse - Defo worth a try!

Cheers for those suggestions IB, will give them a go. And no, I'm not calling you PFB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

The Port House in wicklow st do inexpensive tapas-style food.
    Its between 4-6 quid for a portion.Best thing to do is share a few between people.

And the Lunch!/Calzone cafe place next door have a large enough menu with lovely pizzas for €8. Very reasonable and nice to sit outside and watch the crazies go by. They are open late enough too (not just Lunch0.

Much appreciated people. I've asked around on campus and from the places listed here wagamama was the one most people recommended, so thats looking quite likely.

Still like the sound of Independent Pizza though...pizza + quinns afterwards = win :pac:

deise59 wrote: »
    Much appreciated people. I've asked around on campus and from the places listed here wagamama was the one most people recommended, so thats looking quite likely.

Still like the sound of Independent Pizza though...pizza + quinns afterwards = win :pac:

YAY! its top quality food, resonabely priced, great nice staff, if theres a que it moves really fast, and you are NOT actually rushed through your meal, even though thats what some people are implying here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    There's an Indian in Donnybrook that lets you bring your own wine.

Khan Balti House. The food is so good....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

mona lisa on the corner of d'olier street/townsend street does 2 for 1 main courses up til 6 pm. the nuns on buckingham street also do a 3 course meal for €1, its full of homeless people though

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    if theres a queue it moves really fast, and you are NOT actually rushed through your meal

So the queue moves to the invisible tables down the back!! ;)

jdivision wrote: »
    So the queue moves to the invisible tables down the back!! ;)

theres just a nice level of people poping in for a quick bite and people who are there for the whole shebang

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

the nuns on buckingham street also do a 3 course meal for €1, its full of homeless people though
    Are they difficult to eat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Surprised no-one mentioned any of the Chinese restaurants!

For brekkie/lunch/dins, a Chinese eatery in Ringsend on Bridge st across from the church is always a few euro cheaper but yet the standard of the food is so high!

They serve regular Irish dishes as well as Chinese of course :)

Same goes for any of the Chinese restaurants in the city centre!

• Advertisement

Ended up in wagamama's, and it was top class. Absolutely loved it there, so big thanks to those who recommended it.

Advertisement