Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Energy ascessors

• 21-10-2008 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,
    First time poster! We are planning a build next year but are at a loss as to which heating system to install. We will be having u/f heating but that's all we know. Anyway, does anybody know where we can get INDEPENDENT ,UNBIASED advice, (not a salesman's rant) on which system wuld suit us best? I have heard that if I got an energy ascessor they would have advice but I'm not sure where to start.
    Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

nlbyrne wrote: »
    Hi,
    First time poster! We are planning a build next year but are at a loss as to which heating system to install. We will be having u/f heating but that's all we know. Anyway, does anybody know where we can get INDEPENDENT ,UNBIASED advice, (not a salesman's rant) on which system wuld suit us best? I have heard that if I got an energy ascessor they would have advice but I'm not sure where to start.
    Thanks

the heating system will be determined by a lot of factors...

1. cost
    2. construction type suitability
    3. energy demand (heat needed)
    4. site conditions

therefore you need to plan the house as a 'whole entity' instead of a mixture of seperate issues.... this is very very important

in my opinion a good architectural technician will advise you of the pros and cons of many building systems, and can design and supervise the build accordingly.
    a BER assessor can advise as to energy producing systems and good energy conservation methods...

for best results id go for a good technician who is also a BER assessor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

sydthebeat wrote: »
    for best results id go for a good technician who is also a BER assessor.

I'd agree with that and if you havn't gone for planning yet get him to design your house too.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No6 wrote: »
    I'd agree with that and if you havn't gone for planning yet get him to design your house too.

Well, i would always advise a client to get a house designed by a good architect..... they are, after all, educated and trained in design.

unless the client doesnt want an architecturally designed dwelling..... there certainly is a market out there for 'non-architect' designed dwellings...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Independent

We hired a building energy assessor a few months back, he came recommended. He is worth his weight in gold, he actually knew more than the architect, needless to say who got the bums rush. You will have a hard enough time getting the architect to do what he or she is supposed to do. I'd advise employing an independent assessor. There is a list of assessors on www.sei.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

We hired a building energy assessor a few months back, he came recommended. He is worth his weight in gold, he actually knew more than the architect, needless to say who got the bums rush. You will have a hard enough time getting the architect to do what he or she is supposed to do.[/URL]

Hi there. While im all for giving credit where its due be carefull here. The energy assessor probably knew more about the energy performance of the building in question Architects will have a different skills set. This said i think most architects will keep up to date on all aspects of domestic building technology. Some would say that this is not the domain of the architect but more in line with an Architectural Tech.s job description. The Architects primary concern is with the architectural design(Form/Function) of the building and not its component make up. In this regard I would doubt that the Energy Assessor would know more unless the Energy assessor was also an architect.
    I'd advise employing an independent assessor. There is a list of assessors on www.sei.ie

I can Agree whole heartidly here. Just be carefull that you get a Construction qualified Energy Assessor as there are a few who slipped through without suitable construction based qualification Eg. Electronics Engineer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I'd be inclined to agree with some of the earlier posts. get a BER certified Architect or Technician with a good track record in design.
    There must be loads of competent designers out there who are BER certified.
    Many designers take a passionate interest in energy matters and this is reflected in there design.
    Indeed there are Forums dedicated to this subject. There is , as yet, no clear answer to the question 'How best to design & build an energy efficient, comfortable house.'

topcatcbr wrote: »
    Hi there. While im all for giving credit where its due be carefull here. The energy assessor probably knew more about the energy performance of the building in question Architects will have a different skills set. This said i think most architects will keep up to date on all aspects of domestic building technology. Some would say that this is not the domain of the architect but more in line with an Architectural Tech.s job description. The Architects primary concern is with the architectural design(Form/Function) of the building and not its component make up. In this regard I would doubt that the Energy Assessor would know more unless the Energy assessor was also an architect.

We had a hard time getting an architect that took the whole energy efficient thing seriously.

I can Agree whole heartidly here. Just be carefull that you get a Construction qualified Energy Assessor as there are a few who slipped through without suitable construction based qualification Eg. Electronics Engineer.
    The guy we hired was a trained carpenter and worked for a good few years as a foreman. He was the business. He really looked after us and its thanks to him that we have such a great home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I'd have to agree fully with Topcatcbr "The Architects primary concern is with the architectural design(Form/Function) of the building and not its component make up. In this regard I would doubt that the Energy Assessor would know more unless the Energy assessor was also an architect."

A Carpenter, experienced Foreman and an Assessor - sounds like a very experienced and knowledgeable individual. No doubt he was worth his weight in gold but being more knowledgeable than an Architect or Technician is very doubtful. Totally different skill sets required and IMO can not be easily compared, like for like.

An experienced Technician that is an Assessor may provide the best overall service. A Technician is not formally trained to design, however an Assessor can give the implications of different designs with regard to heat loss and passive solar gain. I assume No.6 was referring to this useful ability at design stage.

I hear what you guys are saying. My experience was that the architect treated us as morons, had a terrible attitude like, 'you do what i say i know better give me the money' While in the background unknown to him we hired this building energy assessor. The assessor probably didnt have the level of education of the architect had. But what he did have was years of experience in house building and how houses work. And he had manners. By hiring this assessor we have saved thousands and have a home beyond our dreams. This assessor worked his way up through the ranks from apprentice to project management. He advised us on things way beyond his duty, something the architect should of being doing. This is only the second time i have dealt with an architect but looking back the last architect was almost the same, we were young and naive then. My advice to anybody thinking of building a house is as soon as you have your plans signed off. Hire an INDEPENDENT building energy assesor, dont leave it to your architect or builder. Architects and builders usually cover each others butts too. By hiring your building energy assessor you have somebody to keep an eye on the other two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

As professionals we strive for perfection, alas as human beings some of us may seem aloof and unapproachable. There is no excuse for ignorance or a 'you do what i say i know better give me the money' attitude. Every profession has its "bad eggs".

I can't agree with all your points but you have made your opinion based on personal experience. I can't argue with that.

I have great respect for those who have who worked their way up through the ranks from apprentice to project management. I see no harm in retaining a totally independent Assessor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

I hear what you guys are saying. My experience was that the architect treated us as morons, had a terrible attitude like, 'you do what i say i know better give me the money' While in the background unknown to him we hired this building energy assessor. The assessor probably didnt have the level of education of the architect had. But what he did have was years of experience in house building and how houses work. And he had manners. By hiring this assessor we have saved thousands and have a home beyond our dreams. This assessor worked his way up through the ranks from apprentice to project management. He advised us on things way beyond his duty, something the architect should of being doing. This is only the second time i have dealt with an architect but looking back the last architect was almost the same, we were young and naive then. My advice to anybody thinking of building a house is as soon as you have your plans signed off. Hire an INDEPENDENT building energy assesor, dont leave it to your architect or builder. Architects and builders usually cover each others butts too. By hiring your building energy assessor you have somebody to keep an eye on the other two.

I dont see any harm in appointing an independent assessor or project manager. In any case get the best person for the job in hand.

Now if you had said you appointed a carpenter to design your home. An Architect to do your 2nd Fix and an Energy assessor to Wire your home and a plummer to energy rate, it might be a different storey.

Advertisement