Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do single journey train tickets cost the same as day returns?

• 21-10-2008 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭

And then why are monthly returns almost twice as much? :confused:

I don't really mind or anything because I could (and probably should) be paying adult prices but I just don't understand.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

And then why are monthly returns almost twice as much? :confused:

I don't really mind or anything because I could (and probably should) be paying adult prices but I just don't understand.

The standard single fares are regulated by the Government.

Day return fares are discounted by the railway company, as a promotion to stimulate travel as are the current web fares promotions.

That's why they're often not available on peak services, as capacity is already limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭SeanW

Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of Irish Rail! Leave that cold logic in the car, it doesn't apply here.

I remember one Saturday morning years ago, I had to travel from Dublin City to Edgeworthstown. I had to pay the same fare as a Monthly Return for the priviledge ... and there were only about 3 people in each carriage.

Way to go promoting off-peak travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Irish rail now do cheap one-way off peak tickets. They can only be booked online.

Look at http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/news_centre/general_news.asp?action=view&news_id=402

Advertisement