Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The story with Linux.

Options
  • 21-10-2008 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    One of the computers at work has been 'upgraded' and now runs the new Vista OS.
    I am in the market for a new PC and I'm so disgusted by the vista OS that I am looking into linux for my new PC.
    Does anyone here know the story on Linux. What is it like as an operating system?
    Can I run any program on it?
    Or should I just avoid Linux too.
    I dont know much about computers so I was hoping someone could advise me.
    I'll use pen and paper before I'll use vista though.
    Thanks.
    Seán

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Hi Sean,

Answering a question how useful, easy, powerful, etc Linux is, is a can of fanboi worms :) But I will give it a try anyway:

Linux works generally faster then Vista, is free and is highly customisable.
    But Linux is something that works for some and not for others.

No doubt in the beginning you will have (a lot of) frustration but the rewards are very high.

First, when you switch to Linux, you will need to re-learn a lot of things as either the application that you were used to don't exist or work differently.
    Examples are: a lot of modern PC games and graphics applications like Photoshop.

Second, when certain things don't work out of the box, it could be a long road to get things working. Generallly wi-fi cards and some graphics adapters could be a problem, however this is increasingly unlikely.
    That said, when it goes wrong you should not be afraid of a bit of command line fiddling (editing configuration files by hand, but on the upside, there is an immense number of helpful sites out there that offer advice on almost any Linux problem that ever happened.

If you computing needs are basic, I think Linux could be a drop in replacement for Windows nowadays. If you are a techie, Linux is pure fun. If you have certain specific needs for Windows programs, you might have a problem.

I'd say, give it a try, you can do so without throwing away your Windows installation. Most Linux distro's like Ubuntu, have a 'Live' cd. Just pop it in you diskdrive and you can have a feel for it, without installing anything or removing your existing Windows system.

Have fun.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

make list of all the apps you really need
    eg: openoffice replaces microsoft office for most purposes but that's on windows pc's too
    stuff like WINE allows some windows programs
    but if you are a gamer will most likely need windows

linux can take longer to setup than windows on brand new machines
    this is because windows is preinstalled and manufacutrers put drivers on computer already and haven't released them for linux yet

If you have a broadband connection and aren't using wifi and have an older machine you just boot up off a live cd choose a UK keyboard instead of a US one and you're good to go until the next reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

First off thanks for the replies lads.
    Ok, so I mainly use my computer for music editing and recording. I use programs like cubase and sonar. I also use sebilius and music master works which are midi file editors. I also do a bit of work on photoshop and solidworks (3D Modelling software), AutoCAD and 3D studio max.
    Any other programs I can live without.
    Would these run with linux?

as far as me editing configuration files by hand... not gonna happen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Most of these programs have linux editions, but not all. Go to the programs website and have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

For autocad - CYCAS and Aryam
    cubase and sonar - lmms
    as far as me editing configuration files by hand... not gonna happen

Sometime you just can't avoid it. Since I move to Ubuntu I have had to edit a config file maybe once or twice at the very most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you want to have a taste of what Linux is like without losing your way back to Windows if you get stuck, check out WUBI which will allow you to install Ubuntu Linux (the most popular version of Linux for home users) from inside Windows as if it were a Windows program. It will then let you run it as and when you like to try it out without having to reformat or repartition your hard drive or having to ditch windows altogether and can even be uninstalled from Windows if you decide it's not for you which will leave you back where you started.

as a first time Linux user you might appreciate a version of Linux called Mint, although the WUBI option isn't available in Mint yet, you could still dual boot it with your Windows installation. it might take a little while longer to set up, but imho it's a lot easier for windows users to get to grips with than Ubuntu is and since it's based on Ubuntu anyway, all the same stuff works with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

First off thanks for the replies lads.
    Ok, so I mainly use my computer for music editing and recording. I use programs like cubase and sonar. I also use sebilius and music master works which are midi file editors. I also do a bit of work on photoshop and solidworks (3D Modelling software), AutoCAD and 3D studio max.
    Any other programs I can live without.
    Would these run with linux?

as far as me editing configuration files by hand... not gonna happen :)

i changed over recently and I'm very happy with most things. Email & net progs, Finance progs, media players etc all great. So as a base system it's all I need. I use some of these CAD progs too, (I haven't tried the Linux equiv's though, it's very rare that you'll get a powerful program like these opensource, even the much touted open office is nowhere near as polished as the MS equiv. but still fine for everyday use!)

However, these will not work with Linux without a lot of messing about
    Your options to run them in Linux are either to hope for the best and try running them through WINE;(if you want to check if your program will work easily check out winehq.com)
    dual boot - tried this for a while, but then you just end up sticking with windows;
    Try VBox - a virtual machine, basically installing windows inside linux, where it runs completely isolated, a fairly big performance hit is usual, (This is offset a bit by the fact your windows install will be minimum and prob won't even require a virus scanner) this is what I do, my AutoCAD drawings aren't massive, and I wouldn't be doing much rendering or simulation in Solidworks (2005) so I can live with the slower speed. Very little set up involved other than installing.

As regards hardware compatibility, if you are buying a new rig you should be able to check compatibilty before hand and buy to avoid headaches.

edit: the new version of ubuntu is coming out in the next week, download a cd and try a live install, this will allow you to test it out (or kubuntu - same thing with a different desktop)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Thanks for all the advice people.
    Much appreciated

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You don't say what your particular gripe is with Vista or if it extends to Microsoft in general, but to be quite honest, given the list of programs you use, I'd recommend XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

How long have you tried vista for? Dont believe the hype on how horrible Vista is just because some Anti-M$ clown on the internet says so.
    Give it a few weeks, I used to to use XP until June this year and then switched to vista when i built my new computer.

What exactly is wrong with it?
    :s

Your best bet is to go back to Windows XP since afaik their is no way in hell your going to get something as powerful or Mainstream as AutoCAD in the open-source world of linux.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sprinklesspanky

Using and learning Linux (or Unix "*nix") is one of the most rewarding uses for your time and it can teach you valuable skills including networking and programming far beyond what a typical Windows user would know... that's how far you can go: but if you just want to have a virus free, stable desktop operating system *nix is good for that too...

I suggest, you not choose one OR the other... use both.

If you have enough RAM you could use virtualisation software like Sun's "Virtualbox". This will allow you to run multiple Linux distros (or "flavours") and decide which one you like.

This is the set up I use, or if you have an older Desktop or Laptop personal computer you can install Ubuntu linux on it and give it a go.

The only real draw back of using *nix is with regards to film DVDs, the DVD menus in some cases don't work properly. Also, there is no garuntee that Ubuntu (or any other flavor of Linux) will support your hardware "out of the box". You may have to tinker with some config files to get, for example, your modem to work. This is another reason why I suggest the virtualisation option as you won't have these problems and you can start playing with Linux immediately.

The most important thing about Linux though is the support community behind it, Ubuntu's free support community is amazing and people want to help you.

If you want, I'll be happy to help you install Linux and answer any questions you may have. Just PM me I am happy t help in any way I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

I dont know much about computers.

Then Linux is not for you, plain and simple.
    ..... solidworks (3D Modelling software), AutoCAD and 3D studio max.

While you could use an emulator to run these on Linux, it's gonna be very sluggish performance wise. Doing something simple like installing a driver for your graphics card to allow 3D acceleration on Linux always seems to end up in disaster.

If you go with Linux, I guarantee you, you will spend more time browsing forums looking for answers on how to edit this config file and how to make that work than you will actually productively using the OS.

Either get used to Vista or get yourself a copy of XP SP3.

Advertisement