Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Mobile Phone

• 21-10-2008 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have heard today that Google are launching a new mobile phone in the US this week and rumor has that 085 will be selling it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Google aren't, T-Mobile and HTC are launching one based on a Google built OS. Motorola also have one in the works.

Not heard anything about any carriers outside the US though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭iTom

Ah I see,I picked him up wrong sorry for the miss lead.
    But he did say that 085 were going to get,how much truth I dont just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

The first phone to support the open source Google Android O/S will be the T-Mobile G1:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Mobile_G1

These are going to market tomorrow in the US, and T1 have announced that they will be available in the UK by end of October 2008:
    http://www.talkandroid.com/309-uk-t-mobile-g1-release/

No details yet on when the G1 will be available in Ireland, but by the time this happens it is possible the Motorola device will also have been released.

It will be very interesting t see how the whole Android project develops, and whether it can take a substantial piece out of Apple's market share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

who said it was going to be with 085?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Indeed. I find it interesting that both these newcomers to the phone market (google and apple) produced phones that are actually dissapointing in terms of basic features (bluetooth etc). Granted they have some nice qualities but its almost like they want to tell us what we really want in a phone rather than listening to us.

Its either that both underestimated the time and effort required to get these options into their stacks or its just down to plain old arrogance.

jArgHA wrote: »
    ...It will be very interesting t see how the whole Android project develops, and whether it can take a substantial piece out of Apple's market share.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

elderlemon wrote: »
    Indeed. I find it interesting that both these newcomers to the phone market (google and apple) produced phones that are actually dissapointing in terms of basic features (bluetooth etc). Granted they have some nice qualities but its almost like they want to tell us what we really want in a phone rather than listening to us.

Its either that both underestimated the time and effort required to get these options into their stacks or its just down to plain old arrogance.

I think it is with more an eye to the security aspects than ignorance or arrogance that bluetooth was left out or implemented in a limited fashion

with the iphone and android you are really talking about handheld mobile computers that you can also use to make phone calls rather than mobile phones that also have a web browser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

iTom wrote: »
    Ah I see,I picked him up wrong sorry for the miss lead.
    But he did say that 085 were going to get,how much truth I dont just have to wait and see.

who told you or where did you hear about it coming to meteor??

Advertisement