Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enableing and Disabling Remote Desktop from another Pc

• 21-10-2008 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭

An unusual issue:

We use remote desktop on a server as a support program on a site, the client wants a way to enable / disable remote desktop on the server from a client pc.
    I have created a user called remote.support and have tried various methods but cannot get any of them to work:
    User cannot be told the administrator password:

Method1: Batch file to enable remote desktop ~ works as administrator
    @ECHO OFF
    ECHO Remote Desktop Support Enabled on Server
    ECHO Once Enabled do not Forget to Disable it once Support is finished working as it is a security risk.

@reg add "\\Servername\HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server" /v fDenyTSConnections /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

I get access denied.

I have also tried using the sc command and the net stop /start command and come back with right's issues too.

I tried using the default gpo and services and giving right to stop/start the terminal services but still get a right's issue.

Any idea's? Server is too far away to walk to for the user.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if all else fails then have a batch file running all the time with the rights looking at a folder the user has write access to
    :loop
     if exist x:\file.txt  net start something 
     if not exist x:\file.txt  net stop something 
     ping 127.0.0.1 -n 60
    goto :loop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭jamesd

So if the user has a mapped drive to i:\\share and if he puts a file called support.txt into it the server will start the service and when the user deletes the file the server will stop the service.
    Sounds good - thanks for that.

James

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

When it comes to scripting i feel endless looping batch files = the devil.

heres a better idea for you mate.

setup two batch files one enabling remote desktop and one disabling remote desktop.

enable batchfile:

@reg add "\\Servername\HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server" /v fDenyTSConnections /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f.

Disable batchfile:

@reg add "\\Servername\HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server" /v fDenyTSConnections /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f.

save these batch files to the windows directory, to hide them away from the user.

Create a schedueled task on the users local machine for each batch file with a time to run in the past ensuring they wont accidentally run, then set the schedueled tasks to run as the administrator. (right click, properties, enter the domain username and password)

Now all the user needs to do is go into the computers schedueled tasks and right click > run.

the user should be able to run the enable remote desktop command as himself which will enable remote desktop, once he is finished advise him to run the second schedueled task to disable it and hey presto :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭jamesd

Cance - the scheduled task running will not stop, I have gone into the properties of the scheduler and told them to stop after 1 minute so thats stopping them.

It's working fine though.

Thanks

Advertisement