Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy my first dry-suit for diving?

• 21-10-2008 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    It's time to upgrade from wetsuit to drysuit for diving.

Unfortunately I know little about drysuits.
    I would like one that I could also wear when out on the RIB in the winter (Yes I know it won't be comfortable, but it'll be a rare occasion), so I want one that I can wear light clothes under - I also don't want a really tight one, so would it be wise to add an extra inch or two to my chest/waist size?

With regards to seals etc - What should I be looking for?

I don't need anything too fancy, but I would like to have permanent boots attached to it.

Can anyone recommend me a supplier/where to look? I presume I would save a fortune buying online, but drysuits are things you need to try on - Would I get away with measuring my wrists, waist, chest, height etc. and emailing a supplier?

Thanks in advance

-Edit- Budget of up to €600/700

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Flagship Scuba or The Great Out doors normally have good sales in the winter time. You would pick up a good neoprene one for that price. I would recommend neoprene especially for cold Irish diving. Ya defo buy in a shop as it is very important to try it on before you purchase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

went to flagship scuba last year, and got mine there. sound guys in there, and made me try on a few to make sure i got the right fit etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hi guys,
    Forgot to mention, i'm in the West/North-west!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Forgot to mention, i'm in the West/North-west!

I would suggest traveling for this purchase, as you need to try on different brands types etc

Neoprene, tri-laminate etc

Accessories like knife pouches, zip potectors, cuffs removable or not etc

Spend the time and research like hell, cause its one purchase that will last you a long time

Or the dive show in london is pretty good and they get rid of 08 stock for 09 at amazing prices and you have all the brands under one roof!

I got a Northern Diver cortex - love it durable, got it custom made alterations that cost very little, Front entry, different boots, zip protector, latex cuffs with neoprene covers have it 4 years and still have the first day seals on it, and i dive 30-50 dives a year plus search and recovery

Take your time and get a list of brands and start trying them on!

Thanks a lot Voodoo, great tips. Would you recommend somewhere like Flagship Scuba to try out a few different brands? It would be an excuse to go out in Dublin next weekend as I have accom up there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Thanks a lot Voodoo, great tips. Would you recommend somewhere like Flagship Scuba to try out a few different brands? It would be an excuse to go out in Dublin next weekend as I have accom up there :D

Well, I got mine from flagship scuba - He doesn't have many brands, but he has Northern diver and lots of them.

Just remember - Neoprene and tri laminate have different characteristics, you need a lot of lead for neoprene unless it crushed neoprene :D there are pros and cons and everyone who is on the forums will give you there version - do some reading and see what suits you

best of luck

Hi Voodoo thanks very much for the info - gonna look into it further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ronanm98

Hi John,

I left a message in your private messages last week with regards a newish drysuit that I have for sale. Only 8 dives done. Thanks.

Hi Ronan,
    Your a size 8 shoe, i'm size 12
    I'm 6foot tall too, so I think there might be a size problem. Thanks all the same

Advertisement