Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL consistently bad BB

Options
  • 21-10-2008 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

Ok so I understand that advertised speeds doesn't necessarily mean that I'll get those speeds BUT I should at least get close to it.

I signed up to NTL 20mb near when it launched and I got 19.5mb speed for about a month then it went downhill. For a whole month I was getting speeds of just 2mb and then the highest I ever got was 15mb after that. Now I've been at 8mb for the past few days with 85ms ping. I can't play on Xbox Live with the speed for some reason as I just lag out.

This isn't acceptable. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

The general opinion on these boards is that you should try wiring it up to your router rather than using a wireless connection. This should make a difference, although if you were getting the proper speeds on wireless for a while then it might not.

I have problems with my speeds off and on. I mentioned it to an NTL enginner who was here to fix my TV problems :rolleyes: and he said it was probably a contention issue. I suspect as much myself so was not surprised.

Corporate greed at its finest :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Speed test from magnet

http://speedtest.magnet.ie/

Is there any other way of testing the speed of your connect.

Been with UPC for a good while now, never had any real problems only have their 3mb service which goes up and down at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 4153 kbps
    Upload Speed: 1425 kbps

Thats what I get from the magnet thing

http://www.speedtest.net/
    342610122.png

5mb nearly 6mb for 3mb not bad :) upload speed is dreadful :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Guys i'm having a problem with Vista and a very high ping. I originally thought the problem was UPC, but it seems it's just vista. I have done a speed test on the old XP laptop and the ping is fine (90ms or less). When i do it with my vista laptop, the ping is 250ms. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

Guys i'm having a problem with Vista and a very high ping. I originally thought the problem was UPC, but it seems it's just vista. I have done a speed test on the old XP laptop and the ping is fine (90ms or less). When i do it with my vista laptop, the ping is 250ms. Any suggestions

Downgrade your Vista OS to XP?

How do you propose i do that without any illegal shenanigans

How do you propose i do that without any illegal shenanigans

Your manufacture should be able to provide you with XP through your Vista license. AFAIK HP have been doing this for many of their business customers.

Apparently they don't support a downgrade for my laptop model. Fail :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jesusofnaz

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled worked for me,

your mileage etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement