Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

No Metallica shows in Dublin in 2009

• 21-10-2008 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭

Yup - according to their schedule for their 'European Tour' in 2009, just like in 2007 - there'll be no Irish date.

So much for 'See you next year Dublin, Metallica loves you'. :rolleyes:

Going to have to go to the UK again for a show now ...... DAMNIT!!!!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

They haven't announced all the dates yet
    Our last announcement for this week is all about Germany with seven new shows starting on May 6 in Munich through May 17 in Cologne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

I really hope what you've highlighted is true & they don't do another 2007-style European Tour with no Ireland show ..... even though the gig in Wembley was awesome, it cost a bloody mint to go see!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

feylya wrote: »
    They haven't announced all the dates yet

Yup. I spoke to Tommy Tighe in the Sound Cellar, and he said that they are expecting an announcement of an Irish date(most likely in the O2 Arena)within the next week.....

I'll be going to the O2 gig in London either way but I would almost say 2 Irish gigs are possible. When was the last time they played Belfast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BleedTheF!FtH

Relax. I bet theyl come.
    And even if they dont,
    **** it, just go uk. Thats what ill do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Yea, I'm pretty sure we'll get a date, maybe even two!! :pac:
    I'll be sweet to hear the new material.
    I just hope they mix up the set list a bit, play stuff that they dont normally and a good few new ones thrown it too.
    Suicide and redemption, Please!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

heres hoping....

I reckon theyll be at donnington anyway?

They'll be at the major festivals, just like they always are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

That list of dates doesn't look complete at all - there are a lot of gaps in there.

As for Belfast, I don't think they've played there since 1988.

The US tour begins tonight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I seriously cant affor another gig, so far im going to :

Lamb Of God
    Amon Amarth
    Mastadon
    Megadeth/Priest/Testement

What is it with all the great rock and metal gigs gigs this year?

Edit, certain gigs mentioned are promoted by certain people so i took em out just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I found it odd that they didnt announce with the UK on Sunday night. Few different things came to mind as to why that is, or why they mightn't play here:

1) Is the O2 capable of doing the "In-the round" stage which they claim will be in use this tour?

2) Maybe it'll be announced next week cos tickets appear to be going on sale very quickly after announcement, and it wasn't possible this week for Dublin

Am fairly sure I had another one or two there, but cant remember right now. As much as I'd love to see them indoors, I'm not bothered going over there for these, specially as few weeks later I'm London-bound for AC/DC. So I'd say if ya really wanna see them, buy a ticket for UK this week, just incase, it'll be easy to sell anyway.

Also, if Dublin is to be played, you'll pretty much have to be MetClub, M:M, or O2 member to get ticket. Pretty much rules me out.

M:M doesn't exist any more

M:M doesn't exist any more

Thats odd, I saw something that mentioned they get a pre-sale. Maybe it was the initial info, but its just MetClub now.

Also, another point, they said all the info would be announced within ten days...thats up this Thursday or Friday. Who knows?

I doubt they'd get gig presales. Thought it was DM presales.

Yeah, it said days after it mentioned a couple of hours. Should be all announced soon though.

I doubt they'd get gig presales. Thought it was DM presales.

Yeah, it said days after it mentioned a couple of hours. Should be all announced soon though.
    after some looking, it appears that we do get a M:M presale!

it says on ticketmaster under presale info that some of the shows have M:M presale

Internet Presale Info
    Metclub Members:
    Start:Tue 21/10/08, 09:00
    End:Fri 24/10/08, 08:00
    Mission Metallica:
    Start:Wed 22/10/08, 09:00
    Venue:
    Start:Thu 23/10/08, 09:00

Thats what it has from the metallica forum, but think its changed and been more refined now to just the fan club.

Yeah, I'd be more on the side of them playing here alright.

Hmm, musta missed that one.

They'll play here. There's loads of gaps in the tour when they could come over. Just before the second O2 gig in London is a big gap iirc. Hey, maybe they'll start the tour here. God knows we're loud enough for it :D

Hmm, musta missed that one.

They'll play here. There's loads of gaps in the tour when they could come over. Just before the second O2 gig in London is a big gap iirc. Hey, maybe they'll start the tour here. God knows we're loud enough for it :D

Yeah, as my friend just said, 3 pages on Dublin and no date yet...doing well considering population.

They said starting tour in Nottingham...doubt it'd change. End of March is my guess, doubt they'd do indoor show in summer here.

I thought they had mentioned doing an indoor gig? It's all speculation at the moment but either way, they'll be back

Many of their dates so far in June/July are inddor, in Denamrk, Italy so far.

I thought they had mentioned doing an indoor gig? It's all speculation at the moment but either way, they'll be back

This whole tour seems to be indoor venues only......?

• Advertisement

Yes, I know. That would suggest that they'd be back, given their comments...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Patricide wrote: »
    I seriously cant affor another gig, so far im going to :

Amon Amarth

Where is this???

Their gig in the Point in 1996 was probably one of the best concerts I have ever been at. It was mental!!!!!

And at the end of the main set(when the stage collapse happened), I could hear James yell "Get the f**k down, NOW!!!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Mushy wrote: »

1) Is the O2 capable of doing the "In-the round" stage which they claim will be in use this tour?

Isn't the new o2 supposed to have this layout - a central stage, just like the other o2 Arenas???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

This was discussed on another (now locked) thread elsewhere, but I asked about the 'in-the-round' abilities of the 02 & another poster pointed out that they are hosting things like boxing & wrestling so it should be OK.

The lowest tier of seating can be retracted to provide a standing area so I guess its just a case of building a stage in the middle of that.

I was at a gig in the point years ago by 'a multi platinum selling rock band from Yorkshire' (not sure if I can mention it here!) who had a stage in the round - so in this case there was a seating area at the end of the venue where the stage usually was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Got my ticket this morning for Metallica in Copenhagen. Lamb of God and Mastodon supporting.... Can't wait. Only got into Lamb of God a couple of months ago and have been listening to them the whole time. Had my ticket bought before it was announced they'd be supporting. Score! :D

Got my ticket for the O2 in London. Machine Head supporting :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Ill be at the O2 in March next year. MetClub presale was a fcukin nightmare, it took me two hours yesterday before I got my tickets.

With regards the Dublin gig...im not too sure. When they say that is the end...for now, this could mean that they are about to announce more tourdates...in another continent. Japan and Australia are Metallica mad, and they have had no tourdates in almost five years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Het-Field wrote: »
    Ill be at the O2 in March next year. MetClub presale was a fcukin nightmare, it took me two hours yesterday before I got my tickets.

With regards the Dublin gig...im not too sure. When they say that is the end...for now, this could mean that they are about to announce more tourdates...in another continent. Japan and Australia are Metallica mad, and they have had no tourdates in almost five years

all they said was that it was the last of the announcements for the week - jaysus other people are nearly as impatient as I am :-)
    anyway I'm sure it'll happen, the gig here in August wasn't announced until well after the UK dates......so I wouldn't be worrying about it.......

Mickey - it's an Arena tour, no outdoor gigs anywhere.......

• Advertisement

ven0m wrote: »
    Isn't the new o2 supposed to have this layout - a central stage, just like the other o2 Arenas???
    peter1892 wrote: »
    This was discussed on another (now locked) thread elsewhere, but I asked about the 'in-the-round' abilities of the 02 & another poster pointed out that they are hosting things like boxing & wrestling so it should be OK.

The lowest tier of seating can be retracted to provide a standing area so I guess its just a case of building a stage in the middle of that.

I was at a gig in the point years ago by 'a multi platinum selling rock band from Yorkshire' (not sure if I can mention it here!) who had a stage in the round - so in this case there was a seating area at the end of the venue where the stage usually was.

I'd remain unsure. A WWF/boxing ring is a hell of a lot smaller than what a Metallica stage is gonna be. Even if it was normal stage, the seats would be retracted. Dublins O2 is more amphitheater, whereas the other ones are similar to the likes of Bercy in Paris, or basketball arenas in the US

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement