Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA World XI Nominees

• 21-10-2008 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Nominees for the FIFA World XI and player of the year awards. A Celtic player included. :eek: :)

Goalkeepers: Boruc, Buffon, Casillas, Cech, van der Sar.

Defenders: Alves, Bosingwa, Cannavaro, Carvalho, Clichy, A Cole, Evra, Ferdinand, Nesta, Lahm, Lucio, Maldini, Pepe, Puyol, Ramos, Terry, Vidic, Zambrotta, Zanetti, Zhirkov.

Midfielders: Deco, Ballack, Essien, Gattuso, Fabregas, Gerrard, Iniesta, Kaka, Lampard, Mascherano, Pirlo, Ribery, Senna, Sneijder, Xavi.

Forwards: Arshavin, Berbatov, Drogba, Eto'o, Henry, Ibrahimovic, Messi, van Nistelrooy, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, Toni, Torres, Villa.

Based on the 2007-2008 season. Kaka was last years winner with Messi winning best young player. It's voted for by international captains and coaches.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

No Andy Reid??!!?? :eek::eek:

/predictable post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

personally i take exception to Boruc,Van Der Sar and Cech being nominated ahead of Reina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

When was the last time an irish player got into one of these?

Given? Duff?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    personally i take exception to Boruc,Van Der Sar and Cech being nominated ahead of Reina.

Maybe Boruc, yeah.

VDS just won a double, in case you hadn't noticed.

Cech had a poor season by his standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Duff was there a while ago.

Casillas [I can't see how anyone would think otherwise after the season he just had. If not for Ronaldo, I think he should win the World and European football of the year awards]

Alves [not many stand out RB's, thought Sagna was the best cept for his injury]
    Evra [tough between him and Clichy]
    Ferdinand [best defender in the world imo]
    Carvalho [was amazing for Chelsea last year, always is]

Fabregas [no explanation needed]
    Xavi [no explanation needed]

Messi [no explanation needed]
    Ronaldo [no explanation needed]

van Nistelrooy [Really impressive for Madrid last year, he's even better than he was for Utd]
    Torres [no explanation needed]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Duff made the UEFA team in 2002 voted by the fans.

Match for match Boruc was probably the best keeper in the CL last year. He was also class at the Euros. Obviously the SPL doesn't count for much in these things but he deserves to be nominated. We'll see if he gets any votes. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Des wrote: »
    VDS just won a double, in case you hadn't noticed.

Cech had a poor season by his standards.

Couldnt care wat VDS won tbh, he wasnt great last year. Utd just won a double with Carrick playing CM, should he get midfielder of the year ahead of Xavi cause of that?

hhhmmmm des, you're logic is flawed.

as for Cech, he hasnt been the same since your mate kicked him on the mallet.

Utd just won a double with Carrick playing CM, should he get midfielder of the year ahead of Xavi cause of that?
    Yes.
    as for Cech, he hasnt been the same since your mate kicked him on the mallet.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What's odd to me, is that purely on last season alone, VDS was probably the 2nd best goalie in the world. Why? Because he made so few mistakes and made some amazing saves. We all know the limitations of VDS as a goalie. He's a choker. Always has been, always will be. He has some trouble dealing with long range shots at times also. However last year, it didn't actually result in any costly blunders. Whether this is just luck or something else, I'm not sure, but VDS really was outstanding last year, I don't see how anyone could begruge him a place in that list. [This year on the other hand...]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

PHB wrote: »
    Duff was there a while ago.

Casillas [I can't see how anyone would think otherwise after the season he just had. If not for Ronaldo, I think he should win the World and European football of the year awards]

Alves [not many stand out RB's, thought Sagna was the best cept for his injury]
    Evra [tough between him and Clichy]
    Ferdinand [best defender in the world imo]
    Carvalho [was amazing for Chelsea last year, always is]

Fabregas [no explanation needed]
    Xavi [no explanation needed]

Messi [no explanation needed]
    Ronaldo [no explanation needed]

van Nistelrooy [Really impressive for Madrid last year, he's even better than he was for Utd]
    Torres [no explanation needed]

What a team.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

eZe^ wrote: »
    What a team.....
    Doesn't qualify though. Max of 3 forwards I think. 4-3-3 or 4-4-2.

Carvalho and Ferdinand wouldn't work together as well as either Carvalho/Terry or Ferdinand/Vidic.

Carvalho/Vidic
    or
    Ferdinand/Terry

would be better combinations.

Carvalho and Ferdinand are the "ball playing" defenders. Terry and Vidic are the "bruisers". You need one of each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

This done by club form? Or international form?
    Because if it's international form wtf is Toni doing in there? Club form he could nearly win it though...
    Im guessing mix of both though...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

As cack as he's been this season, Adebayor should be in there over Drogba, 'Dinho or one or two others. Sagna deserves a mention too.

I don't agree about Carvalho/Ferdinand personally. I don't think they share any of the same weaknesses so they'd have no problems forming a formidable pairing.

Casillas; Evra, Ferdinand, Carvalho, Sagna; Mascherano/Essien, Fabregas, Gerrard; Messi, Torres, Ronaldo.

No PL bias there at all :p

Casillas; Lahm, Nesta, Chiellini, Ramos; Senna, Xavi/Sneijder, Kaka; Messi, Toni, Ribery

Still pretty solid without the PL involvement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Ronaldinho has possibly the worst season of his career and still makes the cut. List seems to be based more on merit from previous seasons than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Has Bosingwa really done enough yet? Unless my memory is mistaken Portugal had some pretty dodgy defending at the Euros.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Goalkeepers: Boruc, Buffon, .

Defenders: Evra, Ferdinand, Terry, Vidic,

Midfielders: Essien, Fabregas, Gerrard, Lampard,

Forwards: Drogba, van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo, Tevez, Torres, Villa.

There is your team, with a few subs.

Torres hasnt done enough on the road yet to make the definitive list IMO. Not trying to take away from his undeniably good year but he had some average games in Europe last season, and so if this were a club team I was drawing up he only makes the bench away from home.

Rooney didnt do enough last year, though looks like he will this year.

Henry? Poor at Barca and average at best for France. Skrtel deserves a place on the bench of that team minimum, especially for a young new lad. Wes Brown as well.

Wonder will S Ireland make next years shortlist?

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Nominees for the FIFA World XI and player of the year awards. A Celtic player included. :eek: :)

Goalkeepers: Casillas Subs: Buffon

Defenders: Alves, Carvalho, Clichy. Subs: Puyol, Ramos, Vidic,.

Midfielders: Deco, Fabregas, Senna, Sneijder, Xavi. Subs: Kaka, Pirlo, Ribery.

Forwards: Messi, Ronaldo, Subs: van Nistelrooy,Torres.

Im guessing the Ronaldo they have as a forward is Cristiano and not of the chubby Brazilian variety?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Frisbee wrote: »
    Im guessing the Ronaldo they have as a forward is Cristiano and not of the chubby Brazilian variety?

The list includes a woefully out of form Henry and several Italian has beens/big players in average leagues, so who knows? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Frisbee wrote: »

You take that back!!!

snooty.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement