Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭deex

ugh horrible day =(
    apparently i didnt bring correct id (the school didnt put the stamp overlapping the photo in my letter of identification) so i was told i was allowed sit the test "provisionally" but unless i contacted ACER asap and gave them correct ID, my result wouldnt be counted...
    but the school is closed for midterm break and i cant find the ACER address. -_- what a horrible day... was anyone else only allowed sit their test "provisionally?" it happened to two or three of us in my center and that was quite a small center so i'm thinking maybe it happened to some other unfortunate soul?
    its terrifying to think that unless i get this sorted out immediately my result wont be counted DDD:
    worst valentines day ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭deex

haha i was in blackrock too! i was one of those kids who had to go stand in the naughty corner cause their id wasnt good enough xD

that was hilarious with the mad rush for the loo, hahahaha, you could tell the examiners were getting so pissed off! =P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Waaahhh

Didn't think the HPAT was too bad at all:D
    (touch wood!)
    Anyone in Galway? The blonde invigilator on level one was hot!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

One of my friend's in Blackrock was also only allowed to sit the exam "provisionally" too because he didn't look like his 5 year old passport photo.
    I don't get why they didn't just take a note of who they thought had "inadequate" ID and stop them after the exam rather than causing a load of hassle at the beginning. He said it threw him completely so he's kicking up a big fuss and complaining..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

HQvhs wrote: »
    One of my friend's in Blackrock was also only allowed to sit the exam "provisionally" too because he didn't look like his 5 year old passport photo.
    I don't get why they didn't just take a note of who they thought had "inadequate" ID and stop them after the exam rather than causing a load of hassle at the beginning. He said it threw him completely so he's kicking up a big fuss and complaining..

Could've been the same guy who's friends with my friends......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Oh I was in Blackrock too! I didn't mind the waiting that much, I didn't feel the time passing at all. It was hilarious how everyone ran for the toilet (myself included) just before the exam started.

Don't know how they hadn't gotten their act together, I think there might've been an issue with some of the foreign passports. A friend of a friend was almost not allowed sit the exam cos he didn't look enough like his 14 year old self in the passport photo.

The worst of the wait for me was being on one of the ****ty wooden seats. When ya weigh 21 stone that's a lot of pressure on the lower back for a long time:(
    See stupid me believed the website when it said there'd be no toilet breaks, so I spent all day yesterday dehydrating myself in preperation :P
    As soon as I got out I lit a smoke and 3 ould boys were standing next to the bin i went over to and one said "he's goin for the wrong job". They found that hilarious:rolleyes: But I showed them! Went and got a coupla cans and drank them in an underpass :P
    Might've been my beard and generally scruffy appearance that made them pass comment though :P

They barely looked at my passport tbh, and in the coupla years since I had the photo taken I've cut my hair which used to be down to my waist, and I've grown a beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

was completely backwards to the sample test, section 3 went best then prob section 1, then 2... some of the words they used for answers in section 2 i just could not get my head around and i didnt have enough time to finish the first 2 so i guessed the last few answers on each of them

i must have had the one wonky desk in all of ucd, it was wrecking my head throughout the exam. my invigilator(?) lady was funny though. she had 10 mobiles collected and dropped 1 and when she went to pick it up she dropped some more, and this routine went on for a few minutes. same thing happened when she was collecting the booklets.

loads of people at my ucd hall (o'reilly), more than 200 definately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Purple Funk

I was in Galway too, and yes, that blonde was definitely a head turner.

As for the test;

Section 1: Fine. Hard to gauge how well/poorly I did. I didn't get stuck per se, and I finished with time in hand, though I would have liked a bit more time to check over one or two questions.

Section 2: Quite a bit harder than the Sample Paper. In the Sample, I only got two wrong. I imagine I still did well in this section for the real thing, though I think I likely got several more wrong than in the sample.

Section 3: Struggled with this in the Sample greatly, oddly, though challenging today, I progressed very smoothly.

I hope to attain at least 260.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭DáireM

Caught her staring at my pectorals, too. :D

As for the test;

Section 1: Fine. Hard to gauge how well/poorly I did. I didn't get stuck per se, and I finished with time in hand, though I would have liked a bit more time to check over one or two questions.

Section 2: Quite a bit harder than the Sample Paper. In the Sample, I only got two wrong. I imagine I still did well in this section for the real thing, though I think I likely got several more wrong than in the sample.

Section 3: Struggled with this in the Sample greatly, oddly, though challenging today, I progressed very smoothly.

And if you saw a tall (6'3") with curly, auburn hair and a particularly tight, blue Hilfiger shirt with white stripes, that was me. :cool:

My god you are a nobend

Fair enough.

I'm just particulaarly giddy having done the exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Waaahhh wrote: »
    Didn't think the HPAT was too bad at all:D
    (touch wood!)
    Anyone in Galway? The blonde invigilator on level one was hot!;)
    and so was that middle aged guy with his arm in a sling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Sean_Ludawg

Des23 wrote: »
    22nd of june, but im open to correction on that

That's a joke!
    Uk-CAT you have your results in hand when you walk out the door!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

Out of interest as im not sitting it what were ye actually tested on in the HPAT cause i have no idea what its like?

section 1 is on logical reasoning and problem solving,section 2 is interpersonal understanding and section 3 is non verbal reasoning.

section 1 is on logical reasoning and problem solving,section 2 is interpersonal understanding and section 3 is non verbal reasoning.

so are you given a situation and asked to come with a solution for the reasoning..seems like a cool exam!

Not really section 1 is mainly about your ability to use logic to solve problems that are given to you, section 2 is all about understanding the feelings and behavouirs of others and section 3 is identifying patters in sequences.

cool where there questions that you could answer in order to prepare for the exam?

ya there were a few on the HPAT website and you could also get a practice book.

cool thanks very much for the info!

Are you an aspiring medicine student yourself?

• Advertisement

At one point i was but im now going into drug research if possible!!the medical kind of course!!:D

Ah but narcotics is where the fun is at. :P

Medicinal Chemistry would be interesting though, I'm stuck between that and a Science Omnibus as my second choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

deex wrote: »
    ugh horrible day =(
    apparently i didnt bring correct id (the school didnt put the stamp overlapping the photo in my letter of identification) so i was told i was allowed sit the test "provisionally" but unless i contacted ACER asap and gave them correct ID, my result wouldnt be counted...
    but the school is closed for midterm break and i cant find the ACER address. -_- what a horrible day... was anyone else only allowed sit their test "provisionally?" it happened to two or three of us in my center and that was quite a small center so i'm thinking maybe it happened to some other unfortunate soul?
    its terrifying to think that unless i get this sorted out immediately my result wont be counted DDD:
    worst valentines day ever!

omg no way :( hope it all works out 4 u...it was the organisers at fault for everything that went wrong tho, like some of the details they gave us before the test wasnt clear so if a few people didnt get their letters of ID done properly it must av been them that didnt explain it properly :(
    There was no delays in sligo for id or anything bcos d woman didnt look at half of them!! i didnt even open my passport i just walked straight thru!!

i think it shuda been organised betr, d tiny hall we wer in was freezin, i thought itd be in the IT but we wer in this little community centre :P
    Any way we can campaign to get the results earlier?! Lol i need somethin 2 enourage me 2 start studyin!! I found it more or less d same as evry1 else...section 2 way harder than d sample, didnt even understand some of those words :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

i THINK the point is that we get it the day after the leaving cert ends so we dont go making stupid changes to our cao. Like thinking you did crap and so putting something else ahead of medicine even though you still could have gotten the points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

But the closing date of the cao is around the 1st of july, so people will be more likely 2 take it off if they didnt do gr8 in the hpat but mite hav dun really gud in the leavin? I dunno...id prefer 2 get it now tho cos id hav some idea of wot sorta points id be looking 4!! does any1 hav any idea of like the minimum you wud need 2 get into medicine with the combined leavin and hpat?:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gotabi

As for the test;

Bahaha 260?
    You realise that the top 1% percentile of people will only get around 206?
    Nobody will get 260

gotabi wrote: »
    Bahaha 260?
    Nobody will get 260

Thats a strong statement!
    Im sure there are people well capable of it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

DáireM wrote: »
    My god you are a nobend

Cop on. There are strict rules about insulting other member, I suggest you read the charter if you don't want to be banned.
    Just out of curiosity, I know a lot of people (myself included) who did the Hpat but don't actually want to do medicine or who are using medicine as a back-up (most perverse logic EVER behind that notion) or just doing it in case they decide to do medicine. Anyone else know people like that?

Yeah I know about three people who all have medicine either 2nd or lower on their CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭shamoono

gotabi wrote: »
    Bahaha 260?
    Nobody will get 260

WOW, 260, man I would be delighted with 150.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

Thats a strong statement!
    Im sure there are people well capable of it
    If I recall that the same person said if you didnt do the prep course youd be screwed, i guess they are just a person of strong statements.

ps. I mean no hate to that person its just the opinion I get of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement