Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppy08

Synods wrote: »
    a few of last years students who were lucky enough to get medicine yet decided to put themselves through the hpat system because they wanted to change university!!quote]

not wanting to sound panicky or anything but who? what ? why!?
    what was wrong with their college choice? personal reasons or did they just think the course was **** the that college?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Synods

not wanting to sound panicky or anything but who? what ? why!?
    what was wrong with their college choice? personal reasons or did they just think the course was **** the that college?:confused:[/quote]

I really couldnt speak for all of these students, but of the two i was chatting to they really didnt like their course in a dublin uni and wanted to move to galway!! it all seems a bit ridiculous to me though....just because they got medicine last year they shouldnt automatically presume they'll get it this year! imagine how sickened you'd be if you lost your place:eek:!!!!

Was really surprised at the amount of last year leaving cert students who had started a totally different course in college this sepr but were now applying for hpat now too! i knew people there who were in courses ranging from engineering to occupational therapy!! i also was talking to a business graduate who seemed to think she could apply for medicine through hpat because she thought it was way easier than gamsat (the entry test for postgrad medicine) does anybody know what years you had to have done your LC in to apply for hpat? I thought it was just 09 and 08 but i doubt im right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Purple Funk

In fairness to the organisation I thought the centre in Galway ran quite smoothly. I found my seat quickly and easily, the staff were thorough on the instructions and a trip to the bathroom was permitted, though supervised. Everything was easy to manage, the Phone Drop was well organised but could have used a few extra staff.

I had no qualms with the test itself, though yes, those with digital watches beeping were annoying at times, and I can certainly imagine how infuriating they would be if one was concentrating intensively on a question they were stuck on.

I do remember sitting down in the car after the exam and being overwhelmed by fatigue as the adrenaline wore off. Anyone else suffer from post-adrenal fatigue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

I do remember sitting down in the car after the exam and being overwhelmed by fatigue as the adrenaline wore off. Anyone else suffer from post-adrenal fatigue?

Same here, but mine's a bit longer, I took the bus in from Wicklow to the RDS... and I ended up getting lost to find the bus stop again.... either from my own personal fault, or the fact that I was still working off that rush or what I deem to call it 'surreal-ness'. I was talking to a few others who finished it afterwards and they were going through the whole 'I can't think properly right now'. Needless to say I had an early night, great V-day story ain't it :D Something to tell the family one day xD

Piste wrote: »
    Yes I had that too! Now I'm not the most graceful of girls at the best of times but Saturday was awful, I kept tripping and bumping into things!

Does anyone know if when we get our results we'll get a breakdown of the marks we got in each section?

Phew... I thought it was just me and my chronic clumsiness.. I found it amusing when the invigilators in the RDS annouced that we could leave, just a large noise of people scrambling to get out happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Synods wrote: »
    -assuming there's approx 500 medicine places in ireland- everyone who scores 550+ applying for medicine will have at least a 33% chance of getting in?
    I'd say you'd have a much greater chance than this if you got over 550 as not everyone over 550 will want to do medicine.also around 40% of medical places each year go to repeat students and with the new requirement that points and subjects must be met in the same year,this is sure to make it harder for repeats to get in.

I'd say you'd have a much greater chance than this if you got over 550 as not everyone over 550 will want to do medicine.also around 40% of medical places each year go to repeat students and with the new requirement that points and subjects must be met in the same year,this is sure to make it harder for repeats to get in.

Thanks for that extra info there, you seem to be mega well informed! what do you mean about the whole repeat thing though? you have to do your min. requirement subjects in the same year as you get your highest points kinda thing??
    Does anybody know when the CAO stats for feb 1st 09 are coming out actually?

Yes. so no more dropping the subjects that you find hard. One repeat in my school has to do a whole new english course in just one year.

Yes. so no more dropping the subjects that you find hard. One repeat in my school has to do a whole new english course in just one year.
    I suppose its a fairer system overall though, it was a bit mad if you ever looked at the subjects that any of the repeats in the grinds schools had....it was like phys&chem/ag science/classical studies, etc. when all the poor first timers who were competing with them were stuck with the likes of irish and maths!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

AWHA? My brother's girlfriend is just doing Biology outside of school this year so she can do a course in Trinity. Are you telling me she's not allowed do this? When did this happen?

• Advertisement

I've been thinking about this and I wonder if the courses with stricter entry requirements Cork and Trinity will see a fall in points as less repeats will apply for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pureirishsugar

yeah you have to do all the requirements this year, its just new since the hpat was introduced

after that im so glad it's over, can start concentrating proper on study now, phew

She's not doing Medicine. Does the new rule apply to everyone or just Med hopefuls?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pureirishsugar

ugh now i've too posts together but whataboutshur do you think there will still be a vary in points? like galway being the lowest, up to trinity being the highest?

I think it's just medicine.Damn,this is even more intense than the time I forgot how to sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppy08

cautioner wrote: »
    AWHA? My brother's girlfriend is just doing Biology outside of school this year so she can do a course in Trinity. Are you telling me she's not allowed do this? When did this happen?

what? she just doing biology or she's doing it on top of her other subjects?

ALL applicants have to have the required subjects (eng,irish,maths,language, +1/2 science subjects) aswell as the required points.>>both in the same sitting of the leaving cert.....hope its not news to her:confused:

oh no it just coounts 4 med. applicants

like galway being the lowest, up to trinity being the highest?
    Sorry only just saw this post. The amount of places are going up in Galway this year and I think Trinity and Cork too.UCD definately isn't though. There never really is a huge variation only 15 points at most.And will peple please spell my name correctly it's driving me mad1

Are you sure the new places are going ahead? I thought they were all axed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Is any1 on this applyin 2 galway as their 1st choice? or is anyone studyin medicine in galway? id love 2 go 2 dublin but every1 i know is headin 2 galway cos its a lot closer and all dat :( wotz the course like tho? and do ya think itl be easier to get in there? theres 90 places there this year i think:confused::confused:

I have Galway #2, might possibly bump it to #1 over Trinity though. The main difference for me being that Galway has an optional pre-med year that I would find attractive, as a relatively easy year to gradually get into it, and have a bit of time to be a college student before starting the course proper.

Other than that, I think at the end of the day Medicine is Medicine and it's not going to be drastically different between colleges here.

One thing though, I know Galway does continuous assessment, can anyone fill me in on the other four as regards assessment? I think the guy in Trinity said they were "bringing it in" vaguely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

gotabi wrote: »
    The fat invigilator in the pink was a TYRANT.
    Crystler wrote: »
    (now not to sound mean but anyone else think your main lady had a v.disproportionate body?) .

ok i have to ask out of curiosity what on earth does the size of the invigilators body have to do with anything, particularly your exam????!!!!

and no i am not the invigilator.

i actually happen to agree with a lot of what you said. i just fail to see what this has to do with anything.

Zippie84 wrote: »
    ok i have to ask out of curiosity what on earth does the size of the invigilators body have to do with anything, particularly your exam????!!!!

i actually happen to agree with a lot of what you said. i just fail to see what this has to do with anything.

lol itz no harm 2 put a bit of humour on2 a very stressful and intense day that i dunno was probly worse than the actual exams cos u cudnt prepare for it at all :( 1 of the invigilators was sittin near me eatin kitkats the whol 2 and a half hours....grrrrr :p

Oh, I didn't mean to cause any offense, basically what Anne just said, Taking in the humour of the whole HPAT, I mean better to make something serious less serious to cut the tension and stuff like that :D

lol itz no harm 2 put a bit of humour on2 a very stressful and intense day that i dunno was probly worse than the actual exams cos u cudnt prepare for it at all :( 1 of the invigilators was sittin near me eatin kitkats the whol 2 and a half hours....grrrrr :p

reli lol? that would annoy me a bit tbh, the kit kats lol... were u in the rds too?

ah don't worry i know they prob meant no harm, i was just kinda imagining that the invigilator may have been reading it and may not have found it so humorous lol, prob just been a bit of a sensitive soul on her behalf...

so so glad that exam is over at least!!!!! :D

Oh, I didn't mean to cause any offense, basically what Anne just said, Taking in the humour of the whole HPAT, I mean better to make something serious less serious to cut the tension and stuff like that :D

ur grand lol... ya i was just imagining how she would feel if she was reading it...

tbh i was more annoyed about the other one than yours.... i would never fancy taking charge of an exam of about 700 or 800 r something like that, and i would prob feel that i had to be strict and act a bit of a tyrant if i was, but that the person could have just said the lady in pink making the announcements was a bit of a tyrant or something along that lines, instead of the fat invigilator in the pink was a bit of a tyrant :)

anyway sure just my 2 cents worth lol...

and sorry if i'm going off topic, just found it a bit irrelevant lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Several repeats in my school are doing the whole english course in one year, myself included.
    I'm also doing 6 other higher level subjects.
    Am I really at a massive advantage to non-repeats? I already have 550 points under my belt from last year in any case.
    She's not doing Medicine. Does the new rule apply to everyone or just Med hopefuls?

Definitely just medicine students! Grumble.
    I have Galway #2, might possibly bump it to #1 over Trinity though. The main difference for me being that Galway has an optional pre-med year that I would find attractive, as a relatively easy year to gradually get into it, and have a bit of time to be a college student before starting the course proper.

That was my reasoning for having UCD first last year- the pre med thing.
    However, since I'm spending a year repeating I'd be happier to just fire on through in Trinity.

Galway's a gorgeous city! I have it down 3rd, after Trinners and UCD. I think I might have put it first if it wasn't so damn far away from where I live.
    I reallllllly don't want to go to Cork. TBH, I'm easy enough between UCD, TCD and NUI G, but cork or Rcsi would just be... meh. It'd still be medicine.. but, meh.

no i was in sligo...readin bout the rest of ye i think ours was organised alright!! didnt have 2 wait around long, we were finished at 1 on the dot!! Ya the kit kats were awful...i was starved and didnt drink anything cos we wernt allowed toilet breaks :(
    only bad thing bout sligo, it was a little hall with a stage on the top, and every1 was sitting facing the stage with around 10 people sitting on the stage facing the side wall so every1 was just staring at them....and i got 2 be 1 of those lucky ones on the stage :mad::mad: kind of intimidating!!

ur grand lol... ya i was just imagining how she would feel if she was reading it...

tbh i was more annoyed about the other one than yours.... i would never fancy taking charge of an exam of about 700 or 800 r something like that, and i would prob feel that i had to be strict and act a bit of a tyrant if i was, but that the person could have just said the lady in pink making the announcements was a bit of a tyrant or something along that lines, instead of the fat invigilator in the pink was a bit of a tyrant :)

anyway sure just my 2 cents worth lol...

and sorry if i'm going off topic, just found it a bit irrelevant lol

Ah i see where your coming from now, makes sense. She was fairly bossy sounding so thats where the 'tyrant' comment could have come from, but needless to say it is her job, and she can't sound too nice as a supervisor.

Anywho me thinks this thread is dead until the 22nd of July...

Anywho me thinks this thread is dead until the 22nd of July...

Aw no i think us potential med students should stick together!! i was trying to find a post for medical students, maybe talking bout their courses or colleges, but i couldnt find any :(

Any advice on the 5 year/6 year courses? Ive had some people tell me to do the 5 year if i get the chance, but others are saying take it easy and do 6 years to have time to get used to college and all that. I do chem and biology, but physics is supposed to be the hardest to catch up on? what ye think?!!
    :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Aw no i think us potential med students should stick together!! i was trying to find a post for medical students, maybe talking bout their courses or colleges, but i couldnt find any :(

Any advice on the 5 year/6 year courses? Ive had some people tell me to do the 5 year if i get the chance, but others are saying take it easy and do 6 years to have time to get used to college and all that. I do chem and biology, but physics is supposed to be the hardest to catch up on? what ye think?!!
    :D:D

6 year, that way you get a nice year to introduce you to college life, get up to speed with work and most of party:).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement