Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

Well from what I have heard, Pre-med is just catching up on the basic science subjects... so really I'd rather not sit through another Physics lesson.... after the LC I'm kinda sick of Physics, so I'm kinda wanting to pass on the 6 year course, plus i'm more into the whole Medicine course-y work more than the college 'environment' but that's just one potential's opinion. I tihnk Galway is the only college that does the 6yr course nowadays... possible UCD but don't remember. Got to brush up on my CAO. Trinity I know has gotten rid of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

Crystler wrote: »
    but needless to say it is her job, and she can't sound too nice as a supervisor...

true lol.... god i wouldn't have fancied her job at all.... then again if it was a choice between that and sitting that horrible exam... who knows :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Well from what I have heard, Pre-med is just catching up on the basic science subjects... so really I'd rather not sit through another Physics lesson.... after the LC I'm kinda sick of Physics, so I'm kinda wanting to pass on the 6 year course, plus i'm more into the whole Medicine course-y work more than the college 'environment' but that's just one potential's opinion. I tihnk Galway is the only college that does the 6yr course nowadays... possible UCD but don't remember. Got to brush up on my CAO. Trinity I know has gotten rid of it...

UCD has it, remember most of what you've learn in Chem is basically lies in the real world and Physics will most likely be a little more medicine orientated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

no i was in sligo...readin bout the rest of ye i think ours was organised alright!! didnt have 2 wait around long, we were finished at 1 on the dot!! Ya the kit kats were awful...i was starved and didnt drink anything cos we wernt allowed toilet breaks :(
    only bad thing bout sligo, it was a little hall with a stage on the top, and every1 was sitting facing the stage with around 10 people sitting on the stage facing the side wall so every1 was just staring at them....and i got 2 be 1 of those lucky ones on the stage :mad::mad: kind of intimidating!!

soz lol only just seen ur location as sligo... not too used to boards at all....

if that was me i'd have complained bout the kit kats, but then again i get contrary sitting exams.... i mean she could've at least shared hehe :P

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

cautioner wrote: »
    Are you sure the new places are going ahead? I thought they were all axed.
    I know in Galway they definately have nine extra places this year.I'm not sure about the rest though.I think that there is supposed to be just under 500 undergrad places for EU applicants this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

ya i know galway and ucd still have the 5 and 6 year courses....thats why i was thinking it would be hard to go into the 5 year course cos you would be joining people who have already done 1 year of a foundation :eek:
    but then in the description of the 1st year of the 6 year course in galway is physics, chemistry, biology and foundations of medicine...dont know if i can stick a full year of what sounds like the leaving cert again in more depth!!:P

We should help out next years potentials by protesting the right for toilet breaks!!!!! Horrible to rush through questions in that test :S

ya i know galway and ucd still have the 5 and 6 year courses....thats why i was thinking it would be hard to go into the 5 year course cos you would be joining people who have already done 1 year of a foundation :eek:
    but then in the description of the 1st year of the 6 year course in galway is physics, chemistry, biology and foundations of medicine...dont know if i can stick a full year of what sounds like the leaving cert again in more depth!!:P

Neither could i :S I mean It should be more enjoyable than learning it at the LC lvl since you get such detestable subjects to learn like, English *shudders* Irish (irrelevant in every subject nearly).... I mean if there wasn't that whole issue I have with languages... I wouldn't have such a hard time doing the LC.... English paper is WAY too unpredictable, Irish is just a difficult subject, since they teach you really badly in the Junior years since they don't want to confuddle us young minds when we are about 2-12... which really just screws us over (us as in those not in Gealtact areas (sp?))

I like my sciencey and logic based subjects over the linguistic ones, more method in them, but thats just how my brain functions!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppy08

Aw no i think us potential med students should stick together!! i was trying to find a post for medical students, maybe talking bout their courses or colleges, but i couldnt find any :(

Being the over-eager wannabe med student,i started a thread on the TCD boards forum. from what i can tell the only difference is the way the course is taught. In TCD each lecturer just follows their own course but in most colleges they follow systems. (eg you learn about the respiratory system , anatomy, physiology, biochemical,umm cellular of the system at the same time etc etc.)

not to mention the pass mark in higher in TCD :(

Apart from that i'm just going with watever college/city i like best:D

Zippie84 wrote: »
    soz lol only just seen ur location as sligo... not too used to boards at all....

if that was me i'd have complained bout the kit kats, but then again i get contrary sitting exams.... i mean she could've at least shared hehe :P

ya i was starved!! and she was sitting sideways so she was facing me and STARING at me!! and every time i looked at her she kinda gave me a little encouraging smile!! :p

So where do ya think ul be going for medicine? Sorry u might already have said but this post is getting really really long....:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

gotabi wrote: »
    all in gods hands now i guess :P
    The fat invigilator in the pink was a TYRANT.

Prospective doctors who make fun of overweight people and worst of all........are religious!!!! (sighs)

the leaving cert again in more depth!!:P
    and with more alcohol.I think it would be worth it though because 1st med has an awful high failure rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Synods wrote: »
    I really couldnt speak for all of these students, but of the two i was chatting to they really didnt like their course in a dublin uni and wanted to move to galway!! it all seems a bit ridiculous to me though....just because they got medicine last year they shouldnt automatically presume they'll get it this year! imagine how sickened you'd be if you lost your place:eek:!!!!

Was really surprised at the amount of last year leaving cert students who had started a totally different course in college this sepr but were now applying for hpat now too! i knew people there who were in courses ranging from engineering to occupational therapy!! i also was talking to a business graduate who seemed to think she could apply for medicine through hpat because she thought it was way easier than gamsat (the entry test for postgrad medicine) does anybody know what years you had to have done your LC in to apply for hpat? I thought it was just 09 and 08 but i doubt im right.

I know two people who are both in college and want to do medicine. One is dropping out if he gets into medicine this year, the other is finishing his degree and is either going to sit the GAMSAT if they bring in graduate entry medicine in Trinity, or the HPAT and sit the leaving again so he can do it in Trinity.
    Phew... I thought it was just me and my chronic clumsiness.. I found it amusing when the invigilators in the RDS annouced that we could leave, just a large noise of people scrambling to get out happened.

Yeah that noice was pretty sickening alright|!

Neither could i :S I mean It should be more enjoyable than learning it at the LC lvl since you get such detestable subjects to learn like, English *shudders* Irish (irrelevant in every subject nearly).... I mean if there wasn't that whole issue I have with languages... I wouldn't have such a hard time doing the LC.... English paper is WAY too unpredictable, Irish is just a difficult subject, since they teach you really badly in the Junior years since they don't want to confuddle us young minds when we are about 2-12... which really just screws us over (us as in those not in Gealtact areas (sp?))

I like my sciencey and logic based subjects over the linguistic ones, more method in them, but thats just how my brain functions!

Im a strange case in that way...i like the languages, specially french..will be dependin on that for points :p aswel, i love accountancy, but would never ever consider a career in it...to my teachers horror!! doing medicine is like my total passion and my one and only ambition....but i really dont like chemistry :(:( i think thats half because of my teacher last year who really didnt like me and just made the whole year hell for me :mad: just hope i can cope with all the chemistry based medicine...as long as its more interesting and not as pointless-seeming as some of the leaving cert stuff!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

I'm pretty sure that the Hpat is one of those tests which is done in such a way that it's very hard to do well in it. Leaving cert, the people in the top percentile would get over 90% right. Hpat would definitely be lower.

Im a strange case in that way...i like the languages, specially french..will be dependin on that for points :p aswel, i love accountancy, but would never ever consider a career in it...to my teachers horror!! doing medicine is like my total passion and my one and only ambition....but i really dont like chemistry :(:( i think thats half because of my teacher last year who really didnt like me and just made the whole year hell for me :mad: just hope i can cope with all the chemistry based medicine...as long as its more interesting and not as pointless-seeming as some of the leaving cert stuff!!

I don't like the titration stuff in chemistry, but that's mainly cause I had a horrible fever that time, note to self never EVER challenge a friend to a 'withstand the cold' competition ever again... doesn't matter if I have good circulation but jumping into a lake is NEVER a smart idea. Ya, basically missed my iron tablets stuff, and a year later i still don't get the calculations for it!

I can only hope i do kickass, in maths, app.maths, bio physics and chem and hopefully pull off my passes in irish(only ordinary subject :D) and french and a B1 in english to keep all my doors open

I can only hope i do kickass, in maths, app.maths, bio physics and chem and hopefully pull off my passes in irish(only ordinary subject :D) and french and a B1 in english to keep all my doors open

WOAH...thats 1 handfull of subjects!! just outta interest, are you a girl or a fella?! just cos my old chemistry teacher thought there was some subjects girls just shouldnt do (all the ones your doing!!!)...and some careers aswell, medicine included(what i wanna do...obviously!!) :mad: grrr...id love to prove him totally wrong and get an A1...im trying my hardest!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

WOAH...thats 1 handfull of subjects!! just outta interest, are you a girl or a fella?! just cos my old chemistry teacher thought there was some subjects girls just shouldnt do (all the ones your doing!!!)...and some careers aswell, medicine included(what i wanna do...obviously!!) :mad: grrr...id love to prove him totally wrong and get an A1...im trying my hardest!!!:D:D
    Your old chemistry teacher needs a slap upside the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Synods

im rooting for you anyway! need to show them narrow minded old feckers that gender shouldnt be a barrier to anything:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

So is the entire HPAT MCQ's?

• Advertisement

Yes, it is a giant MCQ Jammyc. And I'm a male.... well at least I should be unless i filled in the wrong Oval in the HPAT!!!! OH WOE IS ME! Ya, it's the only subjects I'm good at when I decided in 4th year, and I think it was the better choice... well maybe substitute Physics for Accountancy. but I didn't have that in my option line in my school, it was drop Chemistry for accountancy (and I wouldn't want that)

Lol talk about sexist! but then again to each their own, I'm the only person in my entire school doing all those subjects at the moment (granted its a small school) It is a big workload, but they help each other out, like Bio helped me in light/lenses/mirrors (mechanics) in phyiscs, Chemistry will help out in my option in Physics and Physics has helped me understand Equilibrium in Chem (among other chapters) It is a heavy workload, but as they say go with what subjects appeal to you the most! And subjects with great appeal you always do better in!

*EDIT* But your teachers opinion most possibly stemmed from year groups beforehand, statistically speaking, women don't really do well in the mathematical areas, there are only about 4 girls left in my higher maths class, none in my app.maths 4 girls in the physics. On the other hand, males do worse in Languages while females excell at them. Your teacher is most likely going from the facts/stats of many other years. *EDIT*

there was some subjects girls just shouldnt do (all the ones your doing!!!)...and some careers aswell, medicine included
    If it's any consolation girls out perform lads in every course but vetinary and architechture,i.e the majority of people who get honours are girls

*EDIT* But your teachers opinion most possibly stemmed from year groups beforehand, statistically speaking, women don't really do well in the mathematical areas, there are only about 4 girls left in my higher maths class, none in my app.maths 4 girls in the physics. On the other hand, males do worse in Languages while females excell at them. Your teacher is most likely going from the facts/stats of many other years. *EDIT*

Ya suppose he had a reason 4 his opinions...theres only 1 other girl i chemistry and 2 others in HL maths, and none doing physics...but teachers should definately keep their opinions to themselves!! If he ever comes looking for medical treatment in a few years time when im a fully qualified doc (fingers crossed!!) ill make sure to emphasise how many times he told me i couldnt do it!! and i doubt he'll be refusing having a female doc either!! :D:D

Ya suppose he had a reason 4 his opinions...theres only 1 other girl i chemistry and 2 others in HL maths, and none doing physics...but teachers should definately keep their opinions to themselves!! If he ever comes looking for medical treatment in a few years time when im a fully qualified doc (fingers crossed!!) ill make sure to emphasise how many times he told me i couldnt do it!! and i doubt he'll be refusing having a female doc either!! :D:D

Medicine is becoming a female dominate course so i hear from people i consulted while in 4th year during my work exp, and also when i was trying to find out more about the course, so if he does refuse a female doc, he'll be screwed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭shamoono

I tried doing Chemistry as my 8th subject last year, at home. I got through half of the course but after that, it gets extremely confusing and just can't get through the rest without a teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

MCQ's? :confused:

MCQ's? :confused:

im thinkn multiple choice questions....took me a while to figure that one out tho!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
    Encouraging, results-wise...

• Advertisement

DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
    Encouraging, results-wise...

was that to me or to you..?? lol :p:p:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement