Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

was that to me or to you..?? lol :p:p:eek:

Oh, that was me, deploring my own stupidity, sorry!

DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

haha thats ok good to know im not the only 1 who felt kinda stupid wondering what that meant :rolleyes:
    ahhh suppose i should study...mocks starting next thurs...and all this hpat talk has kinda made me forget that weve still got these stupid exams to do!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pharmstar

hi guys- does anyone know of anyone having done the hpat as a mature student? or is there a separate thread for us mature applicants?

i was in the rds too- room with the pink tyrant! soo coooold!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

I know a guy in his 20's who applied for undergrad medicine this year.Dunno if he's a mature student.Are there places reserved for mature students or do you just apply like everyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

I was under the impression that the HPAT was for people who were doing their Leaving Cert only, and the GAMSAT was for the mature students...

• Advertisement

Graduates can do either but undergraduate medicine is a year or two longer so it doesn't really make much sense to do it if you could do graduate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Graduates can do either but undergraduate medicine is a year or two longer so it doesn't really make much sense to do it if you could do graduate.

I was wondering why there was a few more 'senior' candidates sitting the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

But wouldn't that mean graduates would have to resit their LC? To get all requirements in one year, as stated earlier? I can't reconcile the two...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Synods

Might be a year of two longer but hpat is WAY easier than gamsat, graduates think they'll have a better chance getting in through hpat because its easier, provided they dont mind spending the extra year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Synods

cautioner wrote: »
    But wouldn't that mean graduates would have to resit their LC? To get all requirements in one year, as stated earlier? I can't reconcile the two...
    They could have done their LC any year, provided they got the 480 and the min. entry subjects in the same year..... you dont have to do hpat and the LC in the same year from what i know

• Advertisement

yeh mature applicants have to do the hpat.

i think people who are eligible for GEP are not eligible to apply as a mature student

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

haha thats ok good to know im not the only 1 who felt kinda stupid wondering what that meant :rolleyes:
    ahhh suppose i should study...mocks starting next thurs...and all this hpat talk has kinda made me forget that weve still got these stupid exams to do!! :D:D

Ya I'm in mid-mock atm.... HPAT preoccupied my mind over the mocks... mocks seem really pointless to me atm... killed what was left of my will to do well in the mocks, so instead of cramming last min things I'm just doing normal study; writing up notes, revising. Prep-ing myself for the real thing instead of the pointless mocks :S

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

What I've gathered form a mature student I know applying for medicine is that they have to do the hpat, gamsat and interview process; far more difficult imo but everyone has their own things to do I guess!

Everything I would've said has been said; petition for heating in the RDS and if you see pink, run for the hills:eek:..tyrant of tyrants!
    Also, did anyone else have someone siting near them incessantly tapping their feet?? Drove me mad:(

I actually found section two to be on par with the sample papers more or less, yet section 3 terrified me and seemed waaaay harder than on any other paper! Section 1 was a good deal more difficult also.

Duffman'05 wrote: »
    What I've gathered form a mature student I know applying for medicine is that they have to do the hpat, gamsat and interview process; far more difficult imo but everyone has their own things to do I guess!

Everything I would've said has been said; petition for heating in the RDS and if you see pink, run for the hills:eek:..tyrant of tyrants!
    Also, did anyone else have someone siting near them incessantly tapping their feet?? Drove me mad:(

I actually found section two to be on par with the sample papers more or less, yet section 3 terrified me and seemed waaaay harder than on any other paper! Section 1 was a good deal more difficult also.

lol @ :pac:tyrant of tyrants--- but i felt a bit sorry for her coz she had repeated herself a million times at the beginning regarding phones, and then when she asked the final few times whether people had fones on them or not before the exam started people popped their hands up-- i mean -come on- the whole process was taking long enough as it was and peeps still had their phones on them!!!!:confused:
    however her voice annoyed me big time!

us matures do have to take the exam and gamsat is for GEP entry only.
    do u know approx. how many people apply as mature students?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

If it's any consolation girls out perform lads in every course but vetinary and architechture,i.e the majority of people who get honours are girls

Thats why the exam papers are colour-coded... pink for girls, blue for boys...:D

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Thats why the exam papers are colour-coded... pink for girls, blue for boys...:D

Woooo, less stress more success with the blue papers! -grabs stackful-

Delta Kilo wrote: »

hang on...are the papers guna be pink?? What have they got against plain white?? I thought it was just english was pink for some reason!! and i get dazzled looking at them for too long :(:(
    Feel....so....stupid....didnt know they were different colours!! And pink is just too sickening to look at for too long!! :mad: blue might be easier on the eye...:P:P

hang on...are the papers guna be pink?? What have they got against plain white?? I thought it was just english was pink for some reason!! and i get dazzled looking at them for too long :(:(
    Feel....so....stupid....didnt know they were different colours!! And pink is just too sickening to look at for too long!! :mad: blue might be easier on the eye...:P:P

It's the educational boards sick method of turning the world's youth dumber and dumber! Death to the minister of education! The devilish fiend!

Crystler wrote: »
    It's the educational boards sick method of turning the world's youth dumber and dumber! Death to the minister of education! The devilish fiend!

Yup i think that man/woman has it in for us!! Who is it anyway?! See im so busy studying ive been ignoring the news!! but i do know that he/she wants us to fork out some ridiculous money on college fees...grrrrr....and then when the leaving cert results get better from year to year they tell us that the exams are getting easier!! :mad::mad: i think not!! :D:D

• Advertisement

Yup i think that man/woman has it in for us!! Who is it anyway?! but i do know that he/she wants us to fork out some ridiculous money on college fees :D:D
    It's Batt O'Keefe who, incidentally used to be a college lecturer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

pharmstar wrote: »
    but i felt a bit sorry for her coz she had repeated herself a million times at the beginning regarding phones, and then when she asked the final few times whether people had fones on them or not before the exam started people popped their hands up-- i mean -come on- the whole process was taking long enough as it was and peeps still had their phones on them!!!!:confused:

thank you .... someone else who sees what a tough time of it we gave this invigilator.... lol.... all things considering i think that that girl done a pretty good job of it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gerald O

Adventure wrote: »
    775* , i'd say will be the threshold.

A score of 775 would mean that the individual would require the perfect 560 ( 600point lc) and a score of 215 in the hpat. Less that 1% score over 210 in the UMAT (Australian Medical Entry) according to statistics. Not sure if these are solid facts but ultimately 775 won't be a mark that many will reach....

The whole point of the exam is to test your interpersonal skills, ability to understand and connect with people. The points were lowered to 480 as a means of giving students a chance to express their inner capabilities rather than have them re-gurgitate entire leaving cert notes. It's a common fact that although many medicine undergraduates are exceedingly smart, many of them are incapable of mentally understanding a persons needs. Books don't hold the answers to everything. 480 was a wise cut off point as it provides the course provider with the knowledge that the individual is indeed smart.

Therefore their must exist some glimmer of hope for students who get a score of 480 in the lc and get perhaps a higher than avergae hpat result, otherwise whats the point of the whole thing????????????

The minimum mark that is considered in the hpat is 170 I think.
    Therefore if a student who scores 480 lc points achieves a hpat of lets say 190 then they of course score overall 670.

670 therefore is in my eyes the minimum mark that would be accepted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Gerald O wrote: »

:eek:Now when you say ''considered''..

Are you saying that there's a minimum in the hpat you have to score for it to be even counted in the cao etc. in the same way as having to score minimum 480?:confused:

Duffman'05 wrote: »
    :eek:Now when you say ''considered''..

Are you saying that there's a minimum in the hpat you have to score for it to be even counted in the cao etc. in the same way as having to score minimum 480?:confused:

I personally doubt that's what Gerald is saying, I think he (or is it she?) is trying to say, in the relative scheme of things that a minimum of 170 will ensure your place as in, you can still get in with lower than 170 but lower chances as people (tested/supposably) are meant to score in the 170+ area. but who knows I've been wrong before

incapable of mentally understanding a persons needs.
    As opposed to physically understanding a persons needs.I don't know if you have much of a chance on 480,considering that there are more applicants with 550 or over than there are places.I doubt if there'll be a minimum Hpat score either,I think there wil just be a minimum combined hpat and lc points score.

Just wondering, did you get the 170 from that little booklet about undergraduate entry to medicine? The one with the grid that shows how the LC and the HPAT scores combine? Cos ive never seen anywhere else that theres a minimum in the HPAT or anything....:confused:

You seem very well informed...are you applying to medicine? Or are you some kind of insider that knows stuff...??!! :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

A score of 775 would mean that the individual would require the perfect 560 ( 600point lc) and a score of 215 in the hpat. Less that 1% score over 210 in the UMAT (Australian Medical Entry) according to statistics. Not sure if these are solid facts but ultimately 775 won't be a mark that many will reach....

Apparently the whole way the HPAT's marked/ points are worked out is going to be a big secret. As the UMAT one is.

I heard talk of it being marked by more of a percentile sort of a way?
    So, say you get 210 and that's the highest in the country.. you'd be awarded 300 points?
    No?

Oh, God. Kill me.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Adventure

bythewoods wrote: »
    Apparently the whole way the HPAT's marked/ points are worked out is going to be a big secret. As the UMAT one is.

So, say you get 210 and that's the highest in the country.. you'd be awarded 300 points?
    No?

Oh, God. Kill me.

Maybe they will multiply your percentile rank by 300 to get your score

eg. You get a rank of 98% = HPAT score of 294

You get a rank of 65% = HPAT score of 195

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppy08

bythewoods wrote: »

No?

Oh, God. Kill me.

I went to one of the prep courses(don't kill me:o) and the guy somehow did it last year and got in the top 1%tile.

He reckons that they'll mark it to a bellcurve , i.e the want a big group in the middle and steep slopes with very little no of people with really high/low results.

he even said they could "tweak" the results if everyone got 1 question right they would just not count it, if hardly anyone got an answer right they could double the points:(

our answers sheeets are read by a computer so it can be really easy to fit us all into the curve....

the story gets worse cause they scrapped the UMAT in australia because of all the controversy, (even claims they "tweaked" results so boys would do better...........:confused:)

*cough* i've just notice now much all that sounds like a conpiracy theory......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement