Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

It says in that booklet explaining the changes to medicine that you will get a score out of 300 as well as a percentile,which just shows you how well you did compared to everyone else.I don't think that your percentile is your actual mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Adventure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pharmstar

Adventure wrote: »

gosh those girls look a lil unphased after that exam; :eek: I wish my face looked like that- i just had to get outta the rds as quick as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

how many places are there? and is there actually an interview for medicine aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Dubs wrote: »
    how many places are there? and is there actually an interview for medicine aswell?

No theres no interview!! I think around 400-ish places...but that could be without the ones theyve added for this year...im not sure!!:P:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

pharmstar wrote: »
    gosh those girls look a lil unphased after that exam; :eek: I wish my face looked like that- i just had to get outta the rds as quick as possible!

Well, it is a picture, your red headed one, looks like shes shell shocked... i think the other one was just v.happy-go-lucky!. as I said before (and many others) NO ONE came out like that (or at least i hoped no one did) would be wierd.... or just one of the people who aren't banking all their ambitions/hopes on medicine course :D

By the by, I'm one of those people in the mindset of medicine only :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

poppy08 wrote: »
    I went to one of the prep courses(don't kill me:o) and the guy somehow did it last year and got in the top 1%tile.

He reckons that they'll mark it to a bellcurve , i.e the want a big group in the middle and steep slopes with very little no of people with really high/low results.

he even said they could "tweak" the results if everyone got 1 question right they would just not count it, if hardly anyone got an answer right they could double the points:(

our answers sheeets are read by a computer so it can be really easy to fit us all into the curve....

the story gets worse cause they scrapped the UMAT in australia because of all the controversy, (even claims they "tweaked" results so boys would do better...........:confused:)

*cough* i've just notice now much all that sounds like a conpiracy theory......

They COULD tweak it, sure. But since the marking scheme is completely secret, that does sound a little bit like a conspiracy theory tbh.

Have they scrapped the UMAT? What?
    I'm really confused, when did this all happen? If this is just common knowledge, then I dunno where I've been! :P
    If the UMAT was scrapped then why was the HPAT introduced here when it's basically exactly the same? Huh?
    So many questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppy08

bythewoods wrote: »
    They COULD tweak it, sure. But since the marking scheme is completely secret, that does sound a little bit like a conspiracy theory tbh.

Have they scrapped the UMAT? What?
    I'm really confused, when did this all happen? If this is just common knowledge, then I dunno where I've been! :P
    If the UMAT was scrapped then why was the HPAT introduced here when it's basically exactly the same? Huh?
    So many questions.

Yea i know i guy study med. in ireland atm he's from australia, wen to school there, UMAT wasn't compulsory for uni there and didn't know much about it apart from how dodgey it was.:confused:

Ireland always is abit slow on the uptake, i think(hope) they are gonna bring in interviews or personal statments to try and level off the playing field abit for the poor boys:P

poppy08 wrote: »
    Yea i know i guy study med. in ireland atm he's from australia, wen to school there, UMAT wasn't compulsory for uni there and didn't know much about it apart from how dodgey it was.:confused:

Ireland always is abit slow on the uptake, i think(hope) they are gonna bring in interviews or personal statments to try and level off the playing field abit for the poor boys:P

urgh, I'd rather chew my own arm off than write another personal statement..... they suck, majorly, I hated writing one for UCAS (which i decided not to do late Dec 07. It made me sound so uptight, and look what I have done ^_^. I didn't like it I don't really like showcasing my life/hobbies/skills etc...

I wouldn't mind the interview, but my particular brand of interaction takes awhile to get used to, either I talk a thousand words a min, or rant and go off in a tangent (which most of you probably took aboard while talking to me on the boards :S

We do get an interview, and a screening, among other things.... but seeing as us boys are not doing so well, I think we needs a morale boost! ermm.... Huzzah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gotabi

Anybody else finding it hard to concentrate on the actual leaving cert now?

I have a feeling of pointlessness (excuse the pun) about the whole thing knowing that the hpat has already decided whether im into medicine or not. Obviously Its not pointless too still work hard etc, but can't help have that feeling of an already determined future!

Anybody else feeling that deep down? :p

I think aswell the fact that the hpat was so close to mocs for me, it somehow took importance away from the mocs? i kinda felt like the mocs where meaningless in the grand scheme of things ,obvo mocs are important but again i couldn't help but have these thoughts haha.

I think its the whole uncertainty of the Hpat looming over me, like whether i done well or not....dunno maybe id prefer to have got my results on the day? :/

• Advertisement

gotabi wrote: »
    Anybody else finding it hard to concentrate on the actual leaving cert now?

I have a feeling of pointlessness (excuse the pun) about the whole thing knowing that the hpat has already decided whether im into medicine or not. Obviously Its not pointless too still work hard etc, but can't help have that feeling of an already determined future!

Anybody else feeling that deep down? :p

I think aswell the fact that the hpat was so close to mocs for me, it somehow took importance away from the mocs? i kinda felt like the mocs where meaningless in the grand scheme of things ,obvo mocs are important but again i couldn't help but have these thoughts haha.

I think its the whole uncertainty of the Hpat looming over me, like whether i done well or not....dunno maybe id prefer to have got my results on the day? :/

I'm there with ya brother! (or is it sister?) alias' are hard to tell. I had my mocks start on the Wednesday before the HPAT, had non-stop exams, thank god for the mid-term break I'm getting.

I do agree the mocks seem so meaningless, I just want to prepare for my LC so I'm taking my study block by block not freaking out like everyone is most likely doing at this time. I just want to get straight B's or at least in or around there in most of my subjects, then I'll be most likely fully prepared for my LC (If i keep it up) hopefully -crosses fingers-

I doubt we would get our results on the day, I kinda like not getting them straight away, kinda takes our minds out of it, prevents us becoming complacent if we do really well and at the same time doesn't discourage us from sitting the LC if we did badly, but this is all just mindless ranting from me, so ermm... ya! :D

Crystler wrote: »
    By the by, I'm one of those people in the mindset of medicine only :D

Ya me too....arghhhh it really sucks when people ask "so...whats your back-up plan?"...im tempted to throw a massive tantrum and tell them to f*** off!! Cos i dont have a clue what ill do if i dont get medicine...and that seems more and more likely considering how i think i did in the hpat :(:( suppose ya never know tho...
    Crystler wrote: »
    We do get an interview, and a screening, among other things....

An interview for medicine? in ireland? or were you talking bout something completely different!! :P:P

Ya me too....arghhhh it really sucks when people ask "so...whats your back-up plan?"...im tempted to throw a massive tantrum and tell them to f*** off!! Cos i dont have a clue what ill do if i dont get medicine...and that seems more and more likely considering how i think i did in the hpat :(:( suppose ya never know tho...

An interview for medicine? in ireland? or were you talking bout something completely different!! :P:P

Ya, I have no backup plan like i put stuff down on my CAO just so my careers teacher doesn't bug me about it anymore, 'backdoor' ways but I wouldn't take them if i got in.

Ya garda vetting (interview) isn't it?

O ya...who sorts that out for us if we're offered a place, is it the college or do we have to do it before that? i thought it was just signing some forms or something about criminal records :confused: i dunno i never really thought about it!! and dont we have to get some kind of vaccinations or something? kinda remember reading something about that ages ago....god im not really too well informed!! :p
    Ya ive got science down after medicine on the cao, but i dunno if i can sit through 3 or 4 years of science...unless it really interests me like medicine would i can see myself droppin out of it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Same sentiments as Anne-Marie exactly, I just don't want to spend 4 years doing something I don't like to end up in a job I won't like! The gamsat route just seems too risky for me.

Considering that there's nothing on my cao apart from the 5 meds, the only option I can find is Re-, well you know:( hurts to even type it!

Out of interest, who else nhere is planning, or thinking about, to do it all agin if they don't get the points?

Im considering repeating if i dont get it...sounds really arrogant but up until the last few weeks or so i never even thought id have to have a back up plan..til i saw the amount of people applying, amount of places available, and the fact i havnt really started studying properly :( but i think it would be awful...i did TY so 7 years in secondary school? nightmare!! :mad::mad:

I'm in the process of repeating for medicine, it's not that bad. It's not fun, but it's manageable. Don't regret it at all tbh.

If I don't get it this year though, well, I don't know what I'm going to do.
    Sigh, Pharmacy I guess... even though I don't particularly want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

I'm repeating too. I will most likely do phramacy too, if I dont get it. But if you do pharmacy it would pretty much put you at the top of the class if you wanted to do a post grad...

Galway is my first choice... Most of the people I have been talking too have said that the six year option is best... medicine is hard enough without taking a year off the end. People have also said that you get to know your classmates a lot better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Say one was to get a med place, in UCD for example, can anyone choose to do pre-med? Even if they do get all the required grades for the 5 year course? Or can a uni deny you a pre-med place because they need all the places for those that don't get the sufficient grades.

Wishful thinking and all that of course! :P but I just realised I didn't know the full story with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

If I don't get it this year though, well, I don't know what I'm going to do.

You could become a serial hypochondriac, so you'd get to spend all your time in hospital, which is almost as good:pac:

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    You could become a serial hypochondriac, so you'd get to spend all your time in hospital, which is almost as good:pac:

Oh, don't go advertising my backup plan Fad! There can only be one hypochondriac and it's reserved :D

Fad, you're a genius!

I've had this funny feeling in my left elbow for a while actually, now that I think about it.

I've had this funny feeling in my left elbow for a while actually, now that I think about it.

Thats obviously an aneurysm* or hyperthyroidism!

(*Had to check itunes for the spelling of that :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

"Me head's ringing, me head's ringing...".

cautioner wrote: »
    "Me head's ringing, me head's ringing...".

Hello? who's there, who! STOP FÚCKING CALLING THIS NUMBER...........*

[*Boredom does this to me :(, off to bed! *JUMPS*]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I honestly believe studying medicine brings out the hypochondriac in me.
    So far this year I was adament that I had the early signs of MS.
    I also had anaemia and diabetes for a while too! :)
    Just watch out for that one folks!

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/06/11/1130738.aspx

I honestly believe studying medicine brings out the hypochondriac in me.
    So far this year I was adament that I had the early signs of MS.
    I also had anaemia and diabetes for a while too! :)
    Just watch out for that one folks!

Isnt that a classic thing, that when med students start reading med text books they start getting serious hypochondria...........

Isnt that a classic thing, that when med students start reading med text books they start getting serious hypochondria...........

Yep, its a fairly common occurence actually.
    Not a serious case of hypochondria, but a milder version.
    When preoccupation with health begins to exclude other interests then it become a problem!

When preoccupation with health begins to exclude other interests then it become a problem!

I wish I was going for med now, is it Hypochondria if you diagnose yourself with it?

• Advertisement

I wish I was going for med now, is it Hypochondria if you diagnose yourself with it?

Im not sure I understand the question.
    If a condition is present, it remains so regardless of whether or not a diagnosis is made.

Check this out :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement