Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

What I coinkeedink. I was just with my school counsellor today about going into medicine (I'm in 4th year) and she gave me a copy of the HPAT test :) Looks pretty nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 fruglo

How and when should I register to take the HPAT next year?

I'm in fifth year now....
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

fruglo wrote: »
    How and when should I register to take the HPAT next year?

I'm in fifth year now....
    :(

As soon as possible, i highly advise you (if you are picking medicine as your 1st choice) to do it as soon as they say registration is now avalible. You wouldn't want to have to travel halfway across our small island to get to an exam centre, When i took the test in the RDS is spoke to a few people from Galway and a couple of students from Cork and one from Belfast... granted that Sligo was the only one that filled up in a week or 2, not much to worry about, but just register to take it as soon as it opens up. Never chance anything when it comes to getting into college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Registration won't, y'know, open until around November though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Just a heads up on graduates going the GAMSAT route vs HPAT.

Grad's need :
    - a 2.1 honours degree min
    - Above a certain score in Gamsat. It varies but usually 65 gets you in in Ireland. Thats not 65% either. no-one but Acer knows how the score breaks down.

Other than that, there is no HPAT or interview required with GAMSAT that ive heard of.

Gamsat vs HPAT difficulty. Well i've only looked at the sample questions online for HPAT so i cant for sure. Being totally blunt id have to say there is absolutely no comparison. Gamsat is the real deal, infinitely more difficult. Sorry...

And its on Saturday... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

slemons wrote: »
    Just a heads up on graduates going the GAMSAT route vs HPAT.

Grad's need :
    - a 2.1 honours degree min
    - Above a certain score in Gamsat. It varies but usually 65 gets you in in Ireland. Thats not 65% either. no-one but Acer knows how the score breaks down.

Other than that, there is no HPAT or interview required with GAMSAT that ive heard of.

Gamsat vs HPAT difficulty. Well i've only looked at the sample questions online for HPAT so i cant for sure. Being totally blunt id have to say there is absolutely no comparison. Gamsat is the real deal, infinitely more difficult. Sorry...

And its on Saturday... ;)

Of course it would be harder, well only my opinion, but being a mature/graduate student, having a degree (in a science most likely) you'll have a greater oppourtunity to work on your cognitive thinking and such compared to us (HPAT) applicants. With that being said, I wish you all the luck in the Gamsat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lala00

HPAT results in two weeks! Can't believe it

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭smndly

lala00 wrote: »
    HPAT results in two weeks! Can't believe it

Im bricking it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

smndly wrote: »
    Im bricking it!!!

You shouldn't be.. It'll tell you what you should already know if you have the aptitudes to be a doctor or what have you, or what you didn't know but need to ie that you aren't meant to be one or don't have the aptitudes to succeed in it.. It's not something you study and have a chance of failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Nonsense, a low score in the HPAT definitely does not mean you're not cut out to be a doctor!

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm really freaking out now as well. If I don't get it, I will actually be unbelievably upset.
    Piste wrote: »
    Nonsense, a low score in the HPAT definitely does not mean you're not cut out to be a doctor!

Very much so agree.
    I just don't understand how some of those questions were relevant to a career in medicine in the first place!

It'd be interesting to see, if you got the top consultants in the country to sit the HPAT, would they even do that well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Yeah, maybe there should be retrospective testing of them all.

Wish I knew the results now so I knew if there was any point trying for the rest of the Leaving Cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lala00

I completely agree! Medicine needs a wide range of aptitudes, there is room in medicine for all sorts of personalities. There are such widely different jobs that you can do after qualifying eg pathologist, GP, researcher...........

You could also have a bad day, perform badly in the Hpat BUT still be perfectly capably of excelling in medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Seeing all the cadavers lined up in the room will sort yous all out!

(and maybe me too! But for different course)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭smndly

The worst thing is that i may not even have had to repeat my leaving if i get get a good HPAT result... Wat a waste of a year that will be!!

lala00 wrote: »
    I completely agree! Medicine needs a wide range of aptitudes, there is room in medicine for all sorts of personalities. There are such widely different jobs that you can do after qualifying eg pathologist, GP, researcher...........

You could also have a bad day, perform badly in the Hpat BUT still be perfectly capably of excelling in medicine.

Screwing up because of nerves or other reasons is reason enough not to go down the route of being in charge of someone's health imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭shamoono

In reality what's the highest anybody has gotten in the HPAT out of 300?

Who said anything about nerves? :s there are lots of reasons the HPAT mightn't go your way!

shamoono wrote: »
    In reality what's the highest anybody has gotten in the HPAT out of 300?

The Irish HPAT has never been done before so it's impossible to know.

• Advertisement

smndly wrote: »
    The worst thing is that i may not even have had to repeat my leaving if i get get a good HPAT result... Wat a waste of a year that will be!!

I'm in the EXACT same position.
    What are you working off from last year?

Almost wish the system hadn't been changed, everything would be so incredibly less vague...

People seem to go for medicine purely for the naive idea that it's the "best" course/career and the prospects of money without any consideration for the true implications of the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭shamoono

The Irish HPAT has never been done before so it's impossible to know.

But the exact same test is done in Australia for years.....

I really havent found that, in fact, nobody I've ever met who has either applied for medicine or gotten the course, has been anything other than enthusiastic and passionate about their choice of course.

Claypigeon wrote: »
    People seem to go for medicine purely for the naive idea that it's the "best" course/career and the prospects of money without any consideration for the true implications of the job.

I love sweeping generalisations.

Actually there, Claypigeon, I don't think that's really the case.
    Anyone with any sense (which I'm assuming people who managed to make it into medicine in the first place have!) realise that choosing Medicine for some sort of Social Status isn't the greatest ideas.

Woohooo! Crazy hours! Blood! Death! Illness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Are the results out on monday the 22nd?
    How do you go about getting them?

I can't wait to find out how I got on, I don't want to be a doctor anymore... but still I wonder how I will do..

bythewoods wrote: »
    I love sweeping generalisations.

Actually there, Claypigeon, I don't think that's really the case.
    Anyone with any sense (which I'm assuming people who managed to make it into medicine in the first place have!) realise that choosing Medicine for some sort of Social Status isn't the greatest ideas.

Woohooo! Crazy hours! Blood! Death! Illness!

You're telling me there aren't HUGE amounts of, let's face it, remarkably dim and talentless people who have to slog and work their asses off to do simple things and are devoid of the least bit of initiative but still insist that they're "going for medicine/dentistry/veterinary" even though they'll barely pass most things and have a nervous breakdown in the process?

I know of like 10-20 of this ilk, such unbearable losers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Purple Funk

I actually think the HPAT is better suited to medical profession candidacy than the Leaving Cert. Sure, it can't stand on its own but it weeds out those who lack intelligence and get there simply by sticking their heads in books for a while.

As for these generalisations about doctors. I think almost all who shoot for medicine have a great desire to do it but I will concede that there are a select few who do the course to pamper their egos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

You're telling me there aren't HUGE amounts of, let's face it, remarkably dim and talentless people who have to slog and work their asses off to do simple things and are devoid of the least bit of initiative but still insist that they're "going for medicine/dentistry/veterinary" even though they'll barely pass most things and have a nervous breakdown in the process?

If that's what they want to do, why does it bother you.

There's a few in my year who I think will make terrible doctors (If they even make it) but can you do anything about it? No, let them at it.

If something is your dream, and you see that dream as attainable, why not go for it?

• Advertisement

Well, I for one don't know very many, if any, people who fall into this category.

I'm sure there's the odd one or two, but for the most part, Medicine hopefuls are aware of what they're getting themselves in for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement