Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

shamoono wrote: »
    Medicine in Malaysia:eek: I rather repeat the year. yea my chances are pretty slim if i don't get a B in app maths and a B in physics i'm screwed because of the maths paper and biology :mad:

I'll post my results up (if i did good ;))
    Not a long summer ahead looks like i'll be getting drunk most of the time if i do **** in HPAT :D

Same here. I would LOVE!!! I mean abosolutely go bonkers if I got a B in both physics and app.maths. My teacher in both subjects treats our year like crud, we don't get block classes, he rushes through the course, so we don't fully get it, interrupting his teaching gets you an insult in the face. Only 1 person could handle the class I think, I won't blame the teacher if I don't get my B or C (I might not get a C at this rate as I'm worrying about chemistry as well, I'm kinda rusty as I have neglected it for the last week or so, as I've had maths, bio prior. I'm hoping the Chemistry paper is fun!) as I should have made myself understand it (I only really can memorise stuff when I understand it... odd how I can't understand physics, the basis of everything in modern civilisation but give me a chemistry related question and I'd give it to you off the top of my head!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 funkylana

Medicine in Malaysia:eek: I rather repeat the year. yea my chances are pretty slim if i don't get a B in app maths and a B in physics i'm screwed because of the maths paper and biology :mad:

I'll post my results up (if i did good ;))
    Not a long summer ahead looks like i'll be getting drunk most of the time if i do **** in HPAT :D

haha; drowning your sorrows, eh?!

Nah i think medicine in malaysia would be pretty cool, seeing as its such a stunning country. It would be a good experience, and the great thing about it is that i can apply after i get my leaving cert results (deadline is september 1st) if i want to start in November, and if i want to start in april i only have to apply before feb 1st. But of course my heart lies with UCD! God i hope the standard of medicine applicants drops this year........

funkylana wrote: »

Nah i think medicine in malaysia would be pretty cool, seeing as its such a stunning country. It would be a good experience, and the great thing about it is that i can apply after i get my leaving cert results (deadline is september 1st) if i want to start in November, and if i want to start in april i only have to apply before feb 1st. But of course my heart lies with UCD! God i hope the standard of medicine applicants drops this year........

Well I hope it drops via leaving cert standard, not the standard of people (just in case your message is misconstrued and tons of people start critiquing). I wouldn't want to be labelled after getting a degree (IF I get in) and being told off saying that 'well ya, your year of medicine applicants kinda suck' but then again.... a degree is a degree, I'm just hoping that not a huge amount of the people who got 570+ apply for medicine and only put it as like a 4th choice! I really hope that.

[Edit] I'm not so good for memorising every little detail of every part of all my courses, just the ones I have a really big interest in (I understand = I will remember). Reason why I don't expect a great grade from English (paper 2 didn't go badly but it's my worst section) Nothing to understand really in English just learn off a completed essay.... languages like french I'm never sure what they ask for and I usually go off in a tangent so minus marks usually.

All my sciences better pull me through or else I can wave my future goodbye. Biology is at the moment a tossup for me, I think I got my A1 but it's a tossup by the quota I could end up with an A1 or A2. Been told by loads of people it was easy, and I thought it was a mock by the ecology question. [something was wrong in my mind since all the answers were in the comprehension]. Maths same thing, may have made some silly mistakes.....

Crystler wrote: »
    Well I hope it drops via leaving cert standard, not the standard of people (just in case your message is misconstrued and tons of people start critiquing). I wouldn't want to be labelled after getting a degree (IF I get in) and being told off saying that 'well ya, your year of medicine applicants kinda suck' but then again.... a degree is a degree, I'm just hoping that not a huge amount of the people who got 570+ apply for medicine and only put it as like a 4th choice! I really hope that.

Yeah i meant in terms of points, i don't mean i want a load of crappy doctors going about the place in about 10 years time....although we've got a fair few already in some places....

Does that happen often where people would have medicine down the bottom of their list and decide to do it anyway just cause they got offered a place? That kind of scares me!

Do you think that the whole over 550 points thing is going to make much of a difference this year? It was supposed to 'relieve pressure' but they just replaced pressure with confusion- nobody knows how much points they need to get now. At least you knew what to aim for beforehand; but i suppose we're only confused now because we're the guinea pigs of this whole HPAT experiment....next year's applicants will have an idea of what they need to get in the LC.

Why does getting the opportunity to save lives have to be such an ordeal?!:confused:

Yeah i meant in terms of points, i don't mean i want a load of crappy doctors going about the place in about 10 years time....although we've got a fair few already in some places....

Does that happen often where people would have medicine down the bottom of their list and decide to do it anyway just cause they got offered a place? That kind of scares me!

Do you think that the whole over 550 points thing is going to make much of a difference this year? It was supposed to 'relieve pressure' but they just replaced pressure with confusion- nobody knows how much points they need to get now. At least you knew what to aim for beforehand; but i suppose we're only confused now because we're the guinea pigs of this whole HPAT experiment....next year's applicants will have an idea of what they need to get in the LC.

Why does getting the opportunity to save lives have to be such an ordeal?!:confused:

I have to concur, I'm hoping that whole 550 stigma will dissapate after this year. I'm hoping quick thinking, being knowledgable and competant will help me through this whole getting into the course! Personally, I hope the interview, garda vetting, hpat work in my favour! It's all about screwing over the competition at this point! (not really, you just got to beat out everyone else by presenting yourself well :D) I hope my 17 years of living works out for me ^_^.... by the by any non-adults doing the leaving this year and going for med? Cause... It's gonna be odd to still be 17 while everyone else is 18-20 :S

[Edit] Or... maybe i'm neither of those 3 things, I need to get a 2nd reference :S

• Advertisement

I have to concur, I'm hoping that whole 550 stigma will dissapate after this year. I'm hoping quick thinking, being knowledgable and competant will help me through this whole getting into the course! Personally, I hope the interview, garda vetting, hpat work in my favour! It's all about screwing over the competition at this point! (not really, you just got to beat out everyone else by presenting yourself well :D) I hope my 17 years of living works out for me ^_^.... by the by any non-adults doing the leaving this year and going for med? Cause... It's gonna be odd to still be 17 while everyone else is 18-20 :S

[Edit] Or... maybe i'm neither of those 3 things, I need to get a 2nd reference :S

umm...lol....i'm 16.....won't be 17 until the end of october!:eek:
    so i know a lot of people think that it won't be a big deal getting medicine this year because of my age, but at the same time i still have the same amount of years at school under my belt as anyone else and would like to keep it that way. half the time people don't cop that im so 'young' anyway.

and what is this interview you speak of? you're seriously scaring the bejaysus outta me.:pac:

and is it me or does the laughing smiley look more like something out of pacman?:pac:
    >:eek:!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭-ilikeshorts

Whats all this medicine in malaysia you speak of. Anybody got any more info on it. At least you get to look forward to your HPAT results I missed even doing the exam.

I guess the first test of the HPAT is having enough competence to sit the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭shamoono

Same here. I would LOVE!!! I mean abosolutely go bonkers if I got a B in both physics and app.maths. My teacher in both subjects treats our year like crud, we don't get block classes, he rushes through the course, so we don't fully get it, interrupting his teaching gets you an insult in the face. Only 1 person could handle the class I think, I won't blame the teacher if I don't get my B or C (I might not get a C at this rate as I'm worrying about chemistry as well, I'm kinda rusty as I have neglected it for the last week or so, as I've had maths, bio prior. I'm hoping the Chemistry paper is fun!) as I should have made myself understand it (I only really can memorise stuff when I understand it... odd how I can't understand physics, the basis of everything in modern civilisation but give me a chemistry related question and I'd give it to you off the top of my head!)

Yeah, tell me about it. Everything in app maths was a hurry. I was trying to do the Chemistry course on my own but couldn't it was too HARD:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Nice, what are the college payments if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah, tell me about it. Everything in app maths was a hurry. I was trying to do the Chemistry course on my own but couldn't it was too HARD:mad::mad::mad::mad:

If you want some questions answered i wouldn't mind lending a hand, I pretty much know the course like the back of my hand, the chemistry course that is, I can't give you everything you need to know (since only 2 days left, but I'd gladly lend a hand and little questions or things you don't understand) send me a pm if you want. It's mainly due to my chem teacher (she's an amazing teacher, got my mind fixated on the subject, and I just find it so interesting the entire course, even the organic chem)

• Advertisement

Nice, what are the college payments if you don't mind me asking?

I'm not sure, but they are fairly steep, about 30k a year i believe.... memory is kinda fuzzy since I checked it out last november, prague has a good college also, I have many other alternatives lined up if i don't get into medicine here, so who knows :S

But ya, the courses cost about 30-40k per anum... I think, anyone feel free to correct me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Anyone else becoming really ALARMED about the HPAT now?! :eek:

I'm also worried I screwed up my maths, english and history papers pretty majorly...and business to a lesser extent. Plus I'm too tired to study for chemistry at the moment...:(

I'll be absolutely raging if I do really well in the HPAT (pretty unlikely, haha...ha) but miss out on a place because I don't get 550 points.

On the other hand, I am a pessimist, generally speaking...perhaps I've done better than i think...? I know that happened for the JC, but I can't see it happening now... :(

1fahy4 wrote: »

I'm also worried I screwed up my maths, english and history papers pretty majorly...and business to a lesser extent. Plus I'm too tired to study for chemistry at the moment...:(

I'll be absolutely raging if I do really well in the HPAT (pretty unlikely, haha...ha) but miss out on a place because I don't get 550 points.

On the other hand, I am a pessimist, generally speaking...perhaps I've done better than i think...? I know that happened for the JC, but I can't see it happening now... :(

English will be marked reasonably easy. Maths well... I made a fair few silly mistakes, but it's the quota might drop me down. It's very iffy maths may mark you down if your method is a bit wrong or you forget modulus signs (or did what I did and left out a few units - the one question with 1 unit) history I heard it was a heifer and a half...... I hope it works out for you... and me. Ya chemistry is frightening me also but you have 4 days (possibly 5) I've been focusing on physics atm. instead of chem which I'm realing on for big points compared to the B(maybe C) I'm aiming for in physics!

If you want some questions answered i wouldn't mind lending a hand, I pretty much know the course like the back of my hand, the chemistry course that is, I can't give you everything you need to know (since only 2 days left, but I'd gladly lend a hand and little questions or things you don't understand) send me a pm if you want. It's mainly due to my chem teacher (she's an amazing teacher, got my mind fixated on the subject, and I just find it so interesting the entire course, even the organic chem)

thanks for the offer but i'm not gonna be sitting chemistry....:cool::cool::cool:
    although what did you think of the physics it was pretty ok....i tink i got an A in that

1fahy4 wrote: »

Don't worry worry I'm sure you did pretty good. People always tend to remember the most horrible parts of the exam and not the good ones. Forget about the JC its too late for that :P:P

I'm not sure, but they are fairly steep, about 30k a year i believe.... memory is kinda fuzzy since I checked it out last november, prague has a good college also, I have many other alternatives lined up if i don't get into medicine here, so who knows :S

But ya, the courses cost about 30-40k per anum... I think, anyone feel free to correct me

Wow, there's also the food costs, social costs, rents, etc.

That will bring ya up another 10 grand or so....:P:P

thanks for the offer but i'm not gonna be sitting chemistry....:cool::cool::cool:
    although what did you think of the physics it was pretty ok....i tink i got an A in that

Wasn't too bad, it was okay, I think I got my B (physics is my worst subjects, I always end up confusing formulae) Read the 1st experiment wrong (read Acceleration, not free fall, and did newtons 2nd law exp.) but the rest went decently the diffraction question kinda messed me up but I think I covered up for it by other questions. So lookin at a B3/B2 if I'm lucky.

Chemistry was a BEAUTY of a paper! I am so over the moon about it! I feel like ripping something up! (is it bad that I went there immediately!)

Wasn't too bad, it was okay, I think I got my B (physics is my worst subjects, I always end up confusing formulae) Read the 1st experiment wrong (read Acceleration, not free fall, and did newtons 2nd law exp.) but the rest went decently the diffraction question kinda messed me up but I think I covered up for it by other questions. So lookin at a B3/B2 if I'm lucky.

Chemistry was a BEAUTY of a paper! I am so over the moon about it! I feel like ripping something up! (is it bad that I went there immediately!)

Sounds like I should have done chemistry. but thats good sounds like you got yourself an A :cool::cool::cool:

how many points are you looking at for the leaving(approx)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gotabi

Yeah i meant in terms of points, i don't mean i want a load of crappy doctors going about the place in about 10 years

Because you would make such a great one?

... Sap

Sounds like I should have done chemistry. but thats good sounds like you got yourself an A :cool::cool::cool:

how many points are you looking at for the leaving(approx)

I'm aiming for 525 (the max I could get is 550) being realistic and the worst is 490 (I could do worse, but I took my worse case scenario and I think I did decently.) I still have a notion I can get into medicine, based on the sole reason... candidates getting 600 points/550 points are only at a max of 10point difference starting off without the HPAT results to the ones getting 480points. So in reality what you get in the LC doesn't really matter as long as you get above the 480. And then the HPAT has to be well done.

Unfortunately I have a sneaking suspicion that it's all a ruse and they are looking for a balance between the two... even though in the info packet they said the leaving cert results don't really count for much after you get over 480

• Advertisement

gotabi wrote: »
    Because you would make such a great one?

... Sap

... Ermm... your kinda taking his(or her?) comment out of context. The post was valid. And he/she never said that he'd(or she would) make a great one (you are making an assumption), just stating that if the standard was lowered than the medicine students ability would be lowered (which is v.true)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

candidates getting 600 points/550 points are only at a max of 10point difference starting off without the HPAT results to the ones getting 480points. So in reality what you get in the LC doesn't really matter as long as you get above the 480.

i might have this wrong, but people with 550+ points are at an advantage of 70 points to those with 480. Obviously no one knows, but i cant really see anyone with 480 in the leaving getting into medicine unless they basically ace the hpat as theyre going to need to make up for that big gap

Dubs wrote: »
    i might have this wrong, but people with 550+ points are at an advantage of 70 points to those with 480. Obviously no one knows, but i cant really see anyone with 480 in the leaving getting into medicine unless they basically ace the hpat as theyre going to need to make up for that big gap

Nope, I'm fairly certain, I'll check the info booklet again. And post up here how the point system goes.

[Edit] Crud I'm wrong, sorry for doubting you, there is no real difference after 550... but ya gap difference between 480-550 is point per point. Bye bye med for me... well seeing as how I'm gonna be 25-40 down from most others :S

Also just reading up on the information... but apprently they don't give results under 170 from HPAT? maybe that might factor in.... slowly getting nervous about the 22nd :S

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

Nope, I'm fairly certain, I'll check the info booklet again. And post up here how the point system goes.

[Edit] Crud I'm wrong, sorry for doubting you, there is no real difference after 550... but ya gap difference between 480-550 is point per point. Bye bye med for me... well seeing as how I'm gonna be 25-40 down from most others :S

Also just reading up on the information... but apprently they don't give results under 170 from HPAT? maybe that might factor in.... slowly getting nervous about the 22nd :S

eh, sry to crush your dreams and what not :P i was always hoping that 170 thing was just a rumour, who knows, maybe lady luck will be on our side!

my plan at the moment is repeat, unless i get my second choice, but if by some miracle i got a deadly hpat, i would definitely repeat if i dont get enough points in the leaving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

eh, sry to crush your dreams and what not :P i was always hoping that 170 thing was just a rumour, who knows, maybe lady luck will be on our side!

my plan at the moment is repeat, unless i get my second choice, but if by some miracle i got a deadly hpat, i would definitely repeat if i dont get enough points in the leaving

Do the HPAT and leaving not have to be done in the same year? or are you going to do both of them again?

And the points do make a difference in the leaving if anyone is uncertain. Up to 550 they count as normal and are added to your HPAT score, after 550 there is a sliding scale, with an increase of 5 points in you leaving equaling and increase in 1 point in your overall score, leading to a maximum of 560, if you get 600 points. They HPAT is scored out of 300.

But anyone who actually wants to be a doctor probably knows this its just that there is a lot of misinformation out there, leading people to believe that if they get 480 in their leaving they automatically become a doctor which patently wouldn't be feasible. The amount of people who have this perception is startling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 CallMeDoctor

Des23 wrote: »
    The amount of people who have this perception is startling.

Ya i no its reli annoying too coz wen people wonder y im studyin der jus lyk
    "sur you onli need 480 ".

But newho hope my hpat isnt a disaster! Wat time can we look at d results? is it lyk a 12 midnite deal?

What if they got a place in Higher Education Access Route? what about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 CallMeDoctor

I dunno, they havent said anything...most likely im gunna be working at 7 or 8 in the morning till anytime in the afternoon, im gunna be DYING!!!

fact its jus so unpredictable a result! im so unsure of how i done ? guessed a lot o' stuff but i lyked section 3
    Cmon' 300 lol! i wonder is it possible!?:pac:

same here!!! hope i did good in hpat!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

Could you do med with a 2.1 psychology degree or would you be wasting your time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement