Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Des23 wrote: »
    Do the HPAT and leaving not have to be done in the same year?

No no no.

Can someone actually clarify this- I assume it's not true!
    I'm repeating, but I got 550 last year and I'm hoping that if this year's points are lower I have that to fall back on?

I know a few people who sat the HPAT exam this year who are actually in their first year of college- who'd wanted to do medicine, but barely missed out and would be willing to drop out of their current courses if offered it next year.
    These people have 2009 HPATs and 2008 LCs- I'm assuming they wouldn't have been able to sit the HPAT in the first place if like, it wasn't valid with their points.
    Yeah.

Also, I heard that your HPAT results are valid for 2 years?
    See, I did my research. But now I forget everything.
    Des23 wrote: »
    But anyone who actually wants to be a doctor probably knows this its just that there is a lot of misinformation out there, leading people to believe that if they get 480 in their leaving they automatically become a doctor which patently wouldn't be feasible. The amount of people who have this perception is startling

I know an awful lot of people aiming for medicine who are just aiming for 480 now.
    TBH, I think it's a tad ridiculous. I've told a few that the chances of them getting into it with 480 are extremely slim, but, alas..

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

bythewoods wrote: »
    No no no.

Can someone actually clarify this- I assume it's not true!
    I'm repeating, but I got 550 last year and I'm hoping that if this year's points are lower I have that to fall back on?

I know a few people who sat the HPAT exam this year who are actually in their first year of college- who'd wanted to do medicine, but barely missed out and would be willing to drop out of their current courses if offered it next year.
    These people have 2009 HPATs and 2008 LCs- I'm assuming they wouldn't have been able to sit the HPAT in the first place if like, it wasn't valid with their points.
    Yeah.

Also, I heard that your HPAT results are valid for 2 years?
    See, I did my research. But now I forget everything.

HPAT results are valid for 2 years and so are LC results. Do not have to be done in the same year.

I know an awful lot of people aiming for medicine who are just aiming for 480 now.
    TBH, I think it's a tad ridiculous. I've told a few that the chances of them getting into it with 480 are extremely slim, but, alas..
    I'd say more non-existent than slim to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

HPAT results are valid for 2 years and so are LC results. Do not have to be done in the same year.

I'd say more non-existent than slim to be honest.

That being said, doing badly in the HPAT gives you a non-existant chance of getting into medicine. It's a Balance between the 2 exams. Read over the information booklet, to clear your mind. I hope all of you get into medicine. Seems I'm already out for the count, I've resigned myself unfortunately, seeing all of you getting your 550-600's. Bye bye my dream. I'm very sad about this turn of events.... (thought I did well but critical marking will screw me over in chemistry, forgot a lot of tid bits after I analysed myself.

[EDIT] Non-serious threat: If any of you get into medicine, and decide to drop out and don't commit, I will seriously be annoyed at this type of 'lackysidaisiness'. I don't want to mirk my name, so I'll hold back my words.

Aw, dont give up on it at all, really you've got NO idea how the hpat went! You could have outshone the rest of us by a mile which takes the pressure off you for the leaving. As for people getting 550-600? I doubt there will be enough people getting that AND doing well in the HPAT to fill all the college places...there'll be space for those who get lower than 550! Just dont give up hope yet, and whatever you do, dont take it off the CAO like im sure tons of people will (well, 1 person i know so far)....you really dont know how you got on in either test, and i really really hope you get it :)

Thanks, Anne, I really really hope you get in also, that is true, but you know the feeling you get on how well you did an exam and such overall... ya well my indicator is shining red for, i tried, but I shouldn't have left study of my non-favourite subjects till the last month :S

Oh, I shall leave my CAO unchanged, but just going to slot in that new course in trinity, bio med in ucd (then trin) and omnibus(trin then ucd) science just in case. Bad idea just choosing only medicine courses. May not even get into college with that risk!

Crystler wrote: »

[EDIT] Non-serious threat: If any of you get into medicine, and decide to drop out and don't commit, I will seriously be annoyed at this type of 'lackysidaisiness'. I don't want to mirk my name, so I'll hold back my words.

Agreed.

Anyone here who gets into medicine, just cosssssss, and decides to leave or doesn't do the work - I will hate you forever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

If I don't get in to medicine, I think I'll just take my second choice and try and convince myself it wasn't for me... Hope that'll work. I just couldn't bring myself to repeat... And it'll probably be the HPAT that'll let me down anyways...

1fahy4 wrote: »
    If I don't get in to medicine, I think I'll just take my second choice and try and convince myself it wasn't for me... Hope that'll work. I just couldn't bring myself to repeat... And it'll probably be the HPAT that'll let me down anyways...

Tell me if that works out for you, cause I'd love to know your technique, I really have no drive towards any other course... like chemistry based science subject... but I'd still be borderline enjoying my course, as medicine is what I believe to be my vocation in life. I'll truly find out if it actually is my vocation come monday! App.maths now! ta ta for now peeps!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pureirishsugar

ugh, i'm going to be on holidays when the results come out and i don't knoe weather to get them out there or not

also, i was discussing the hpat and the new rule that you must complete all of the required subjects in the one year with a teacher i know, and she said this could possibly bring the points down a small amount. which is a fair point because in the last few years students in grind schools etc could get 580pts doing a combination of subjects like biology, geography, ag science etc. you know what i would describe as 'learning' subjects, and not having to do things like maths, irish, and languages, which i think it is fair to say, are more difficult to get a1's in..

this is all just speculation, but maybe on monday if people are not feeling too great, keep this in mind.

finally, seeing as i won't be on until after i get home, good luck to everybody on monday, from reading boards.ie since september, each of ye have worked so hard and each deserve to do well!

ugh, i'm going to be on holidays when the results come out and i don't knoe weather to get them out there or not

also, i was discussing the hpat and the new rule that you must complete all of the required subjects in the one year with a teacher i know, and she said this could possibly bring the points down a small amount. which is a fair point because in the last few years students in grind schools etc could get 580pts doing a combination of subjects like biology, geography, ag science etc. you know what i would describe as 'learning' subjects, and not having to do things like maths, irish, and languages, which i think it is fair to say, are more difficult to get a1's in..

this is all just speculation, but maybe on monday if people are not feeling too great, keep this in mind.

finally, seeing as i won't be on until after i get home, good luck to everybody on monday, from reading boards.ie since september, each of ye have worked so hard and each deserve to do well!

Although I can't speak for everyone thanks for your kind words, I've been an avid subscriber to this board, and I also hope for each and every one of you med hopefuls to get in, although I still am competeing for the same place as you all, I do wish you all the best. I think the SEC took aboard that already, looking at the physics, biology and chemistry papers (since these 3 are the norm science subjects that the unis require for med, well not bio but the 3 main branches) They have broadened the paper... just my opinion but seems like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Cillbill

I hope I can get a score that doesn't totally write me off e.g have to take medicine of my CAO altogether. I'm not too pushed if I don't get a spectacular score!

Does anyone know what time we can get the results?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭SugoiHito

The results are tomorrow....I hope i got at least 100 out of 300 right,haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I'm going to be refreshing my inbox non-stop tomorrow, I just KNOW they're going to wait until like 6pm as well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 funkylana

don't forget to check your junk-mail as well, incase the email address is unrecognised.
    good luck everyone!

....and am i the only one who is now suddenly terrified?!:o

No.

No you are not.

Oh God.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

but if you got 300 then you would have everything to lose so not a nice place to be either :D

its after midnight, and yet, still no sign of hpat results.....is going to be a long night......

*clicks refresh*

Good luck all you medicine hopefuls! I wish you all the luck and hope for good results :D

funkylana wrote: »
    don't forget to check your junk-mail as well, incase the email address is unrecognised.
    good luck everyone!

....and am i the only one who is now suddenly terrified?!:o

Your prediction is right, most action this board has gotten in awhile ^_^. Let's hope this prediction is right too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 SuchALiar

I'm actually ****ting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Adventure

Judging from ACER's previous emails, i'd say the results will be up at 5.47AM...

good luck everyone!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Was wondering what was going on so late... Good luck everyone going for it... Med student wannabes get the worst dose, 2 huge exams, 2 huge results. Better than it all relying on the Leaving Cert I suppose in an optimistic sense.

jumpguy wrote: »
    Was wondering what was going on so late... Good luck everyone going for it... Med student wannabes get the worst dose, 2 huge exams, 2 huge results. Better than it all relying on the Leaving Cert I suppose in an optimistic sense.

Yup, If this option wasn't avalible I wouldn't be able to get into medicine. 540+ isn't obtainable for me, well it would be but, I'd have to sacrifice so much to get those extra 20 points+. I just hope that the ratio of 1:2 (HPAT points: LC points) is true, as my LC didn't end v.well - app.maths was a female dog :S-

yeah i just checked; all the emails they sent me were between 4am-6am....probably won't stay up for it though; i'd say be woken up by all the texts anyway!

checking the results will be the first thing i do in the morning though, seeing as it will have probably permeated all my dreams....

:(

I'm really really worried.
    I should probably just go to bed, but I can't! Aghhhh!

Like, 300 points is huuuuge and this is like, my entire future. Our entire futures.
    I already have the LC side of things in the bag (From last year- I'm not that overly confident to assume I did as well this time around ;)) and the more I dwell on it the more freaked out I get.

I actually don't know what I'll do if I don't get it....
    I just want it so so much.

Agghhhhh!

Yet, simultaneously, I'm.. sort of relaxed?
    I just don't know. Agh.

I'm really really worried.
    I should probably just go to bed, but I can't! Aghhhh!

Like, 300 points is huuuuge and this is like, my entire future. Our entire futures.
    I already have the LC side of things in the bag (From last year- I'm not that overly confident to assume I did as well this time around ;)) and the more I dwell on it the more freaked out I get.

I actually don't know what I'll do if I don't get it....
    I just want it so so much.

Agghhhhh!

Yet, simultaneously, I'm.. sort of relaxed?
    I just don't know. Agh.

On the same boat as you, I have no drive towards anything else... I mean I could go into a science (chemistry) based course and get into medicine via graduate entry... but I'd wasting time, money , and taking someone else's future away if I do that, as I wouldn't be fully committed to that course :S. I really do hope I get into medicine anywhere. Ideally I'd like to stay close to home but I'd go to galway or cork also (I don't mind both have a really great campus :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Pity I got 475 last time in the LC and fairly sure I did worse this time. I better get a **** result in the HPAT!

Crystler wrote: »
    On the same boat as you, I have no drive towards anything else... I mean I could go into a science (chemistry) based course and get into medicine via graduate entry... but I'd wasting time, money , and taking someone else's future away if I do that, as I wouldn't be fully committed to that course :S. I really do hope I get into medicine anywhere. Ideally I'd like to stay close to home but I'd go to galway or cork also (I don't mind both have a really great campus :D)

I actually can't see myself doing anything else.
    I want nothing else.
    Like, at least we have a week before the CAO deadline just in case :/

I decided that if I don't get my course of preference I'm going to take my college of preference... so I've Medicine down everywhere (Really don't want to go to Cork though, and Galway's like, 7 or 8 hours away, but I wouldn't really mind that...) so it's like 1-5 is medicine and everything else is Trinity.

But yeah.
    *Refreshes Inbox*

This is so freakin' head wrecking.

I actually can't see myself doing anything else.
    I want nothing else.
    Like, at least we have a week before the CAO deadline just in case :/

I decided that if I don't get my course of preference I'm going to take my college of preference... so I've Medicine down everywhere (Really don't want to go to Cork though, and Galway's like, 7 or 8 hours away, but I wouldn't really mind that...) so it's like 1-5 is medicine and everything else is Trinity.

But yeah.
    *Refreshes Inbox*

This is so freakin' head wrecking.

Agreed, I don't want to do anything else either, ultimately if I really wanted to get into medicine. Going to go to Eastern colleges, at the moment looking at Shanghai uni, one in prague and 2 others in india :S... trouble getting used to a new environment leaving my friends (whom I am still hoping to have a kickass time in college, but I won't be happy if I stay and am not doing medicine.

3more hours ^_^ (5am right?)

EDIT: reitterating what someone else had said "I hate it when people ask me what else I have down." I have nothing else down -.-, I doubt my LC went as well as I thought it did and thus my HPAT scores could be all for naught... hope that isn't the case :S I'm starting to get apprehensive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Hooly22

Lads, without sounding like an idiot....

I presumed the results were being posted to us in a letter....but will they be available earlier?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement