Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

Hooly22 wrote: »
    Lads, without sounding like an idiot....

I presumed the results were being posted to us in a letter....but will they be available earlier?

According to posters it's via email (ensures we all get our results at the same time, and allows people to alter their CAO if need be.) If not then I assume we call the HQ of the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Hooly22

thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Hooly22

good luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Crystler wrote: »
    Agreed, I don't want to do anything else either, ultimately if I really wanted to get into medicine. Going to go to Eastern colleges, at the moment looking at Shanghai uni, one in prague and 2 others in india :S... trouble getting used to a new environment leaving my friends (whom I am still hoping to have a kickass time in college, but I won't be happy if I stay and am not doing medicine.

3more hours ^_^ (5am right?)

EDIT: reitterating what someone else had said "I hate it when people ask me what else I have down." I have nothing else down -.-, I doubt my LC went as well as I thought it did and thus my HPAT scores could be all for naught... hope that isn't the case :S I'm starting to get apprehensive

I'd love to go abroad to study it, I really would, but my parents just wouldn't be able to afford it and I don't want to like, wait around until I'm old enough to pay for myself.
    *Shrugs*
    It's Medicine in Ireland or no medicine at all.
    There is always the post grad entry, somewhere in the future, but like, yeah. Expense.

I wouldn't risk putting nothing else down, but I think it's because one way or another I HAVE to get into college this year.
    I knew myself lasty year that if I didn't get medicine, I wouldn't settle for anything else.

By the way, just for anyone who may be thinking about it- Repeating. It's not so bad. I'd actually really go for it if needs be.
    I, eh, can't exactly go back for another go at it though ;)

bythewoods wrote: »
    I'd love to go abroad to study it, I really would, but my parents just wouldn't be able to afford it and I don't want to like, wait around until I'm old enough to pay for myself.
    *Shrugs*
    It's Medicine in Ireland or no medicine at all.
    There is always the post grad entry, somewhere in the future, but like, yeah. Expense.

I wouldn't risk putting nothing else down, but I think it's because one way or another I HAVE to get into college this year.
    I knew myself lasty year that if I didn't get medicine, I wouldn't settle for anything else.

By the way, just for anyone who may be thinking about it- Repeating. It's not so bad. I'd actually really go for it if needs be.
    I, eh, can't exactly go back for another go at it though ;)

Anyone can afford to go abroad, well granted I'll be steeped in debt, I'll be damned if I cost my parents/family anymore financial burdens. Repeating is not an option for me in Ireland, as fee's are being brought in for students of 2011 (graduating class of 2010). So medicine this year in ireland or I have to leave this country to do it.

Sorry for posting up this v. woeful pity story :(

• Advertisement

Anyone can afford to go abroad, well granted I'll be steeped in debt, I'll be damned if I cost my parents/family anymore financial burdens. Repeating is not an option for me in Ireland, as fee's are being brought in for students of 2011 (graduating class of 2010). So medicine this year in ireland or I have to leave this country to do it.

Sorry for posting up this v. woeful pity story :(

Not to turn the conversation to fees, but there has been no confirmation.
    Looks like we'll end up paying fees from 2nd year on though, regardless.

I have refreshed my inbox about 30 times in the last few minutes.
    Agh.

Not to turn the conversation to fees, but there has been no confirmation.
    Looks like we'll end up paying fees from 2nd year on though, regardless.

I have refreshed my inbox about 30 times in the last few minutes.
    Agh.

Aw feck it, well regardless (just one more comment on fees) I'd rather have 1 free year than pay for 5 whole years...

Gmail = auto refresh, v.handy :D

Aw feck it, well regardless (just one more comment on fees) I'd rather have 1 free year than pay for 5 whole years...

Gmail = auto refresh, v.handy :D

Grrrrs.

What's really annoying me is that that ACER bunch don't actually release any details on how it's marked or anything.
    I'd love to know everything.

Also, am I right in saying we get a Percentile mark as well as how many points out of 300?
    Yeah? Aghhh.

I just really hope everyone who's so insanely desperate for it gets it :)
    And also, the 2 other people from my year in school. Just because I've watched them work so hard all year...

Grrrrs.

What's really annoying me is that that ACER bunch don't actually release any details on how it's marked or anything.
    I'd love to know everything.

Also, am I right in saying we get a Percentile mark as well as how many points out of 300?
    Yeah? Aghhh.

I just really hope everyone who's so insanely desperate for it gets it :)
    And also, the 2 other people from my year in school. Just because I've watched them work so hard all year...

All I know is that it's out of 300 never heard anything about a percentile mark. I know what you mean about knowing everything, I hate being kept in the dark, it sucks. I'd like to know the answers to the HPAT that we did, just because some were interesting plus it would be beneficial.

I concur that people who desperately want it get in. (not to sound spiteful) but those just putting it down if they don't get their first choice, shouldn't be given the chance :S

EDIT: my mind is starting to go to mush, I can't get my ideas straight... so before I say something that makes no sense or contradict myself further I'm heading to bed. Night all (well morning) and hope it all goes well for each and every one of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 David212

I actually think the HPAT is better suited to medical profession candidacy than the Leaving Cert. Sure, it can't stand on its own but it weeds out those who lack intelligence and get there simply by sticking their heads in books for a while.

As for these generalisations about doctors. I think almost all who shoot for medicine have a great desire to do it but I will concede that there are a select few who do the course to pamper their egos.

I agree with you on that one. Getting into medicine shouldn't be based purely on the acceptance of top scoring lc students. The difference in a 500 pint student and 600 point student is based purely on how much work the student puts in, both students would more than likely cope with the course. Then theres the assumption that certain students run into difficulties on their way to becoming a doctor(i.e family issues, etc...). These students have been given a lifeline with the hpat. It offers them the chance to gain access to medicine if they achieve a decent score even if other issues affect their lc score, AND LETS FACE IT, iv heard my fair share of tragic ends due to lc results, be that the case...

So I guess what I'm saying is that at least 1 student in Ireland with a decent hpat score and 480 points should get offered a place, otherwise the system is corrupt. There must be a reason for that being the cut off point.

Anyway I'm sure having this comment here is pointless now, might offer some hope to everyone out there. Results approaching fast!;) Goodluck to you all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 funkylana

hate to continue this fees conversation but eh, i thought the fact that the only reason we're not paying in 1st year is because we have to pay double in 2nd year? thats just what i heard, don't know if its right or not though.

and to be honest i don't think it would be that expensive to do medicine abroad- although it depends on what part of the world you go to- seeing as the fees are expected to keep on increasing here, and the fact that in many countries that i've looked at, the cost of living is much cheaper, so you may not be paying that much more at all. for example, i was looking at a college in slovakia, and it showed that campus accomodation was only about 100 euro a month, and something like cinema tickets in the city were 2euro!(just goes to show how much we get ripped off in cinemas over here- thank God for student night)
    But at the same time anything to do with money is subjective- what might be cheap for one person could be expensive for another, so i can't really make much of an argument here.

anyhoo the results still aren't here.....watching Dumb and Dumber at the moment to settle the nerves!;)

Agghhhhh.

I think I'm just going to head to bed.
    An all nighter just seems ridiculous, really, plus all my post LC celebrations have left me way too drained.
    I am tempted but... yeah.

Gah.
    Best of luck tomorrow Crystler, and everyone else here :)

Agghhhhh.

I think I'm just going to head to bed.
    An all nighter just seems ridiculous, really, plus all my post LC celebrations have left me way too drained.
    I am tempted but... yeah.

Gah.
    Best of luck tomorrow Crystler, and everyone else here :)

best of luck to you too wood.... just me or did that sound dirty? I'm off to bed too, hope you have a good sleep, I'll most likely be up every few mins.

funkylana wrote: »
    anyhoo the results still aren't here.....watching Dumb and Dumber at the moment to settle the nerves!;)

Thought I read dumbo myself, I wouldn't mind watching a late disney movie (ah memories, good times good times, when I used to dream of becoming a great piano player, much more easier and peaceful times.) -sighes with nostalgia-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Gettin tired of waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

They're up now! Didn't do too badly at all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I scored 192, 96th percentile. Looks like I was just short of the shallow bit of the bell-curve. Pity my result means nothing after the ****ty LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Cillbill

I did ****
    150 49 Percentile
    Do I stand a chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Pete37

Hi, anyone know exactly how many sat the exam + the total places available in medicine??? Would be much appreciated- This system is wrecking my head!!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭shamoono

Well, looks like a repeat the year for me :(

Got 125.................................
    I only got Higher Education Access Route to fall back on. I shouldn't have taken that benzodiazepine before the exam :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Pete37

Cillbill wrote: »
    I did ****
    150 49 Percentile
    Do I stand a chance?

To be completely honest, you'll have to have done extremely well in the LC to be in with a very small chance. I, as I'm sure many more are, in a very similar boat...Best of luck!

177, 87 percentile..... holy **** I might lose it... my LC didn't go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ilovechocolate

177, 87 percentile..... holy **** I might lose it... my LC didn't go well.

i got exactly that as well! dyou think its a good score? im kinda confused.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭logic123

96 as a score :S so terrible, im applying from UK

i got exactly that as well! dyou think its a good score? im kinda confused.....

No idea my LC is gonna have to be kickass for me to get in that's for sure. I mean only 390 candidates beat us. So our leaving cert is gonna factor in highly, which I doubt I'm going to be able to achieve. (forced to take 3 languages, which he sucks at, app.maths went horribly) So well... ya, I don't want to sound like a defeatist with such a 'good score' but I ain't so good with memorising stuff I don't understand, thusly why I am worried about it!

EDIT: I was hoping to score within the top 5 % so then I wouldn't have to worry at all about my LC results... so I'm slightly dissapointed in myself... I wonder if the top 1% will reveal himself(or herself) to us.

logic123 wrote: »
    96 as a score :S so terrible, im applying from UK

whats your percentile mark? (sorry to sound rude just collecting info.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭logic123

lool 0-20 im truly screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ilovechocolate

yeah i just did the calculations as well! some ppl have dropped out/changed minds as well tho so it might be better than we think.

tad worried bout the LC as well! i was counting on doing well in this :(

would love to know what the top score is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭i'm a smiler

I got 186, 93 percentile! What do you think will get you in??

• Advertisement

HPAT-Ireland Score

You will receive an Overall Score, and to assist you in evaluating your test performance, you will also be given a percentile ranking for your Overall Score.
    Note: Overall Scores are calculated by ACER to several decimal places and then rounded. It is not possible for candidates to replicate this process. Scores are reported as scaled rather than raw (number correct) scores. One reason for scaling is to ensure that HPAT-Ireland scores have the same meaning and value from year to year across different test administrations.
    This is important as HPAT-Ireland scores are valid for 2 years. The scores provide sufficient discrimination between candidates to enable user universities to rank applicants in a meaningful and reliable way.
    Candidates will not be provided with any additional information on scores or the scoring process. All information remains the property of ACER and no right of inspection will be deemed to be vested in a candidate.
    Viability of results

HPAT-Ireland scores are viable for two years. This means that candidates may apply for admission to medicine courses up to two years after the date on which they sit the test. For example, results from the 2009 test will be valid for the purpose of application for admission in 2009 and/or 2010, but not in 2011.
    There is no restriction on the number of times you may sit HPAT-Ireland.
    Appeals

ACER will not enter into appeals against HPAT-Ireland results. Candidates are advised that HPAT-Ireland results are released only after careful calculation and extensive checking.
    Requests for remarking will not be considered. It is not possible to give special consideration for impaired performance on the day of the test caused by unexpected or minor illness or misadventure.

So that might explain why many of us didn't get our expected :S (well my belief anyways.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement