Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah there seems to be a narrow range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭logic123

does that mean most people arnt disadantaged then if theres a narrow range?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Are people going to post up their results or is it more of a private thing?

I'm happy enough with my score considering I didn't think I did that well. I don't think I'll be going for medicine anyway.

why arnt you going for medicine? m8 im truley screwd apparntly im in the 0-20 percentile so that puts me s***t out of luck at the moment but dont give up

I suppose, it means there isn't a huge difference between people at the lower end and the higher end. If the highest people got around 200 then the range is pretty much 0-200 whereas in the LC it's 0-600.

My worry is the people in the top 12% are probably incredibly smart and got their 600 points already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭i'm a smiler

I really feel that nearly in life happens for a reason. Some people are disappointed today with results but maybe you'll come to realise in a few years down the line that the 80 hour shifts and the crappy health service are not for you.
    You might be damn glad you didn't get the points and feel lucky you escaped! I know we can't see that today but please don't lose heart! After all, nobody really knows what the cut off points are going to be in August.

Keep the faith, tout le monde!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ormo

From what i can see,
    151 = the 50th percintile ie the mean.
    132 = the 25th percentile
    176 = the 75th percentile

Does anyone know how many place there are available for undergraduate medicine this year?

but medicine is a stable job, i mwan look at the benefits, the salary, the lifestyle, for hard hours work its worth fightning for

• Registered Users Posts: 6 N1all

Ormo wrote: »
    From what i can see,

Does anyone know how many place there are available for undergraduate medicine this year?

I don't think those numbers are accurate, I got 173 which is the 84th percentile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Synods

From what i can see,

i dont rely think it works like that, i got 176 and told i was 86th percentile, which according to pistes calculations leaves me out by like 2%!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

logic123 wrote: »
    but medicine is a stable job, i mwan look at the benefits, the salary, the lifestyle, for hard hours work its worth fightning for
    I wouldn't go for medicine, let alone any course, for those reasons. You get one life, live it do it something you love.

From what i can see,

405. Of course, some of those places are reserved for mature students, foreign students and people who get in on The Higher Education Access Route

Does anyone know how many places are allowcated for EU students

so is it safe to say people who dont get in the top 12% percentile are royally screwed?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ilovechocolate

well my mam is a career guidancey type person and i think she said its non eu students that get a separate allocation not eu students from outside ireland but im not entirely sure. maybe google it?

No, it seems that because the results are so close together a lot will depend on LC points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ormo

Sorry those number were all wrong, sorry for causing anyone any undue concern about their own results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭i'm a smiler

HQvhs wrote: »
    I wouldn't go for medicine, let alone any course, for those reasons. You get one life, live it do it something you love.

Exactly. I totally agree. I'm aiming for medicine because I love human biology and would love the interaction with patients every day.

Do not choose medicine for salary, lifestyle etc. My sister is a gp. She works 8.30 until 9, not including night shifts every few weeks. She is comfortable, but by no means loaded.

She returns absolutely wrecked from work and let's not forget we often describe general practice as a "cushy" speciality

I think you have a very idealistic vision of the life of an average doctor.

Maybe it's not for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

bye bye med for me gettin 177 seems moot to me now,, I'll keep it as my first 5 but still :S kinda dissappointed in myself

crysler if 177 is bad for you what can you say about 97 lol

• Advertisement

Crystler wrote: »
    bye bye med for me gettin 177 seems moot to me now,, I'll keep it as my first 5 but still :S kinda dissappointed in myself
    Don't give up. There's not a huge difference in points between the 87th percentile and the 100th. They're very bunched together as you can see. In the end it'll come down to LC points.

Also remember that quite a few people have changed their minds since the hpat. For instance, I know at least 3 who have.

And, a lot of people aren't putting down all colleges and may just have TCD and UCD down, leaving out Galway, RCSI and, to a lesser extent, UCC.

You never know, you could be pleasantly surprised on results day ;)

177 is a very good score, you will be in with a good chance!

If you're thinking about your score out of 300 it doesnt sound great, but nobody got close to 300, i think the 99th percentile was about 203!

I might repeat the HPAT next year and do one of those grind courses we all thought would make no difference =/

so what else have people applied for if they dont get into medicine this year?

Piste wrote: »
    I might repeat the HPAT next year and do one of those grind courses we all thought would make no difference =/
    I don't think they make any difference at all. Anymore than studying for the DATS or an IQ test would.
    Although maybe with an extra year you could be surprised at how much your mind may develop, that could make a difference. And there's always graduate entry which, in a way, I think is better.

Human Health and Disease in Trinity

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

Piste wrote: »
    405. Of course, some of those places are reserved for mature students, foreign students and people who get in on The Higher Education Access Route
    Best anyone in the country will do will be 560 Leaving Cert points plus 205 perhaps hpat points(if 201 is 99th percentile) meaning a maximum of 765.

These scores maximum 200 out of 300 are similar to Australian scores and people were way too optimistic before this exam that people would score higher!

Dont forget about 3500 did the exam and there are about 405 undergraduate places as Piste says so about 11% will get in-good luck

piste will you do a year on that course then reapply for med the next year??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

HQvhs wrote: »
    Don't give up. There's not a huge difference in points between the 87th percentile and the 100th. They're very bunched together as you can see. In the end it'll come down to LC points.

Also remember that quite a few people have changed their minds since the hpat. For instance, I know at least 3 who have.

And, a lot of people aren't putting down all colleges and may just have TCD and UCD down, leaving out Galway, RCSI and, to a lesser extent, UCC.

You never know, you could be pleasantly surprised on results day ;)

My leaving cert didn't go v.well. My English was and won't get over a B3. and app.maths maybe looking at a C1 (if I am v.lucky and it is adjusted by alot) and then I have phyiscs another B3... so basically it's a very slim chance. (by my predicted grades). My best is 525, and seeing as how the top 12% are already gotten a good 3-23+ points higher than me and will do alot better than I will in the LC. I sincerly doubt it. My future ain't that bright.
    N1all wrote: »
    177 is a very good score, you will be in with a good chance!

If you're thinking about your score out of 300 it doesnt sound great, but nobody got close to 300, i think the 99th percentile was about 203!

I was one of the people heavily depending on the HPAT results as I know I'm not as good as the majority in the leaving cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

As a matter of interest-
    Who here DID do a grind course thingy?
    Did it give you a "leg up", if you will?

I'm just curious to know if they actually made any difference (And fill myself with regret and stuff. Y'know)

A guy in school with me did TWO different ones.
    Yet his phone's turned off and he's not online so I dunno how he got on at all at all at all.
    Probably still in bed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement