Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

164 and 73 percentile, fairly disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

drrkpd wrote: »
    Best anyone in the country will do will be 560 Leaving Cert points plus 205 perhaps hpat points(if 201 is 99th percentile) meaning a maximum of 765.

These scores maximum 200 out of 300 are similar to Australian scores and people were way too optimistic before this exam that people would score higher!

Dont forget about 3500 did the exam and there are about 405 undergraduate places as Piste says so about 11% will get in-good luck

The HPAT booklet was so unrealistic, I got 240 in it like!
    logic123 wrote: »
    piste will you do a year on that course then reapply for med the next year??

Yeah probably will

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭ThehPatroniser

The hPat crowd have not updated the website, and I haven't got an e-mail. Any word on the results folks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

Piste wrote: »
    Human Health and Disease in Trinity

Thats my alt. (it's no.6 after all the medicine courses.) Seems like a v.good course you get defered into 3rd year med when you finish the course. According to a friend of mine who has talked to the dean of that course. It's unknown and it's unlikely that the points will be lower than medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭logic123

piste if you do do your human health course at trinity will you do that for a year then reapply for med next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

AFAIK they weight answers so that they are comparable year on year. They don't say how they do this so ultimately we will never know how they makr those exams. (Unless we gte a job with ACER :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Also:

Top HPAT result is about 203.
    203 + 480= 683

Average HPAT result is about 150 (From what I can gather)
    150 + 560= 710

Don't rule yourselves out just yet.
    Our places are still heavily dependent on the actual LC results.

logic123 wrote: »
    piste if you do do your human health course at trinity will you do that for a year then reapply for med next year?

Yeah that was my plan but then I saw this:
    Crystler wrote: »
    Thats my alt. (it's no.6 after all the medicine courses.) Seems like a v.good course you get defered into 3rd year med when you finish the course. According to a friend of mine who has talked to the dean of that course. It's unknown and it's unlikely that the points will be lower than medicine.

Really? It says nothing about that in the prospectus, and no one at Higher Options said anything about it...

I never tried it :S was it difficult or easier? I have a feeling they adjusted it harshly, like if everyone got a question right, they nixed it from any marks. and if say only 1 person out of every 20 people got one right it was awarded quadruple or triple points. So HPAT was marked unfairly.... my ass saying it was calculated and scrutinised highly.... just because it's meant to be a 'trend setting' doesn't mean no one (vitually) got over 205 points in it is not a good trend.... basically just made us all feel immensely stupid.

Yeah that was my plan but then I saw this:

Really? It says nothing about that in the prospectus, and no one at Higher Options said anything about it...

It's what I heard, but ya you can go directly to 3rd year med (so I hear from my friend who is applying for it.)

• Advertisement

Crystler wrote: »

Its my 6th as well, but iv never heard of this being bumped to 3rd year med after. By gum sonny, you have given me new life! :D

The hPat crowd have not updated the website, and I haven't got an e-mail. Any word on the results folks?

send them an email or call the head office. You should have received it this morning around 6am or so

Dubs wrote: »
    Its my 6th as well, but iv never heard of this being bumped to 3rd year med after. By gum sonny, you have given me new life! :D

I would talk to the dean of the course 1st, as I have this info 2nd hand and it could be wrong, I don't want to bring you guys(or gals) up and then have it all crumble to pieces.

my alternative is theorectical physics xDDDDDDD but want medicine tbh lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭i'm a smiler

Wouldn't that mean like nearly all the year would suddenly be transferred to med in third year?!?

After all, it seems that many med hopefuls have this course down as a back up.

I doubt this is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

I got a 126 in the HPAT but I'm expecting about 560 in the Leaving Cert.

Do I stand a chance?

Zenith23 wrote: »
    I got a 126 in the HPAT but I'm expecting about 560 in the Leaving Cert.

Do I stand a chance?

yup still do. Better than me at least. (securing spot as forum defeatist)

hapt123 how come your in 13th percentile and i got 97 and it says im in 0-20 percentile, how does this work S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

Does anyone know if we have to take our result now ? How long will they be available for ?

I think I'd prefer to remain blissfully ignorant at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

Pete37 wrote: »
    Hi, anyone know exactly how many sat the exam + the total places available in medicine??? Would be much appreciated- This system is wrecking my head!!

Chances of success
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Piste viewpost.gif
    405. Of course, some of those places are reserved for mature students, foreign students and people who get in on The Higher Education Access Route

Best anyone in the country will do will be 560 Leaving Cert points plus 205 perhaps hpat points(if 201 is 99th percentile) meaning a maximum of 765.

These scores maximum 200 out of 300 are similar to Australian scores and people were way too optimistic before this exam that people would score higher!

Dont forget about 3500 did the exam and there are about 405 undergraduate places as Piste says so about 11% will get in-good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cathysweet

i got 185, 93rd percentile, and i have 580 points from last year. dunno where that leaves me, so the agony will continue until next august:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Wouldn't that mean like nearly all the year would suddenly be transferred to med in third year?!?

After all, it seems that many med hopefuls have this course down as a back up.

I doubt this is true.

It's completely untrue, basically Human Health and Disease is Trinity's version of Biomedical Science from UCD. From what I've gathered most of these "getting into medicine after 3rd year" rumours started after UCD offered a student in their course a place but apparently he was an exception (Straight 1st for two years)

Looks like everyone's sticking down Human Health and Disease first like I've feared D: It's been my 1st choice since the open day

drrkpd wrote: »
    Chances of success
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Piste viewpost.gif
    405. Of course, some of those places are reserved for mature students, foreign students and people who get in on The Higher Education Access Route

I thought it was about 340-350 people would get in and then the other 55 are for others. So that makes it about a 12% chance of getting in. Unfortunately those who scored under 100 points won't be able to get in, well a V. low probability, but doesn't hurt to fight the system. Goliath was defeated by David after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 killen_machine

what are 4 A grades in a levels equivalent to in leavin cert points?

Yeah I'd say points for Human Health and disease will be massively high beause of all the med applicants.

cathysweet wrote: »
    i got 185, 93rd percentile, and i have 580 points from last year. dunno where that leaves me, so the agony will continue until next august:(:(

You've got your place. I'm fairly certain, I am v.jealous of you -.-

EDIT: think about it, your in the top 7% and you got the max points from the LC (well max points being over 550)

same :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Yeah I'd say points for Human Health and disease will be massively high beause of all the med applicants.

Which is strange given it doesn't necessarily qualify you to do anything really!:pac:

Looks like I'll be falling into 2nd 3rd or 4th once I figure them out

cathysweet wrote: »

If you dont get in, the dreams of nearly every other person here are going to be crushed :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭ThehPatroniser

Has anyone else received their e-mail with the Results? I have not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement