Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

Piste wrote: »
    I might repeat the HPAT next year and do one of those grind courses we all thought would make no difference =/

Dear Piste,
    There is research to show that grind courses make no difference to this exam- probably why this exam was picked. BUT the real exam is far tougher the practice papers. I think practice can at least make sure you get your timings right and this is vital. **** allows you to multiple exams and practice parts of the examination which is very helpful.

What is more astonishing is the spread of the marks- the absolute top 99th centile is around 200 the average 50th percentile is around 150. This is similar to the Australian experience but what it really means is despite all the fanfair there is no possibility of success at 480 points.

Think about it 480 plus 202 is 682.
    Yet even 535 plus the average 150 is 685!

I honestly thought they might increase the spread to help people but they have simply followed the Australian spread -the message is get the best Leaving Cert you can!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭logic123

omg why adjust the points lol xD

in total out of 900 how many total points do you need to be really guaranteed an offer for medicine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

logic123 wrote: »
    Im really hoping for AAAAA in my A level exams which would give me 600 pounts + 97 for my Hpat FOR 797 points hopefully, thats what im hoping for, but whether or not that will give me a good chance is another matter. Im just hoping i can get AAAAA on my a levels results, keep my fingers crossed

Actually, the 600 is adjusted to 560, and 600+97=697
    So your actual total, provided you do astoundingly well in the A levels is
    560+97

=657

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

Do you have an actual source or that or is it just speculation?

No you'd have 757 points becaue your 600 points would be adjusted to 560.

actually brings him to 657... he added 197 instead of 97

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 killen_machine

why would 600 be taken down to 560?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah I'm not sure about the grinds thing yet, I was just talking to a friend who did the grinds course and he only got 3 more points than me, but that's 8 percentile points. I've no idea whether that was down to natural ability or the grinds course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Yeah I'm not sure about the grinds thing yet, I was just talking to a friend who did the grinds course and he only got 3 more points than me, but that's 8 percentile points. I've no idea whether that was down to natural ability or the grinds course.

A friend of mine did it, it seemed to be mainly more practice than here's what they're looking for.

drrkpd wrote: »
    Dear Piste,
    There is research to show that grind courses make no difference to this exam- probably why this exam was picked. BUT the real exam is far tougher the practice papers. I think practice can at least make sure you get your timings right and this is vital. **** allows you to multiple exams and practice parts of the examination which is very helpful.

What is more astonishing is the spread of the marks- the absolute top 99th centile is around 200 the average 50th percentile is around 150. This is similar to the Australian experience but what it really means is despite all the fanfair there is no possibility of success at 480 points.

Think about it 480 plus 202 is 682.
    Yet even 535 plus the average 150 is 685!

I honestly thought they might increase the spread to help people but they have simply followed the Australian spread -the message is get the best Leaving Cert you can!!!

I hate how they have ruined so many people's options and gotten their hopes up.... I mean if I wasn't told about this last year, I would have done something else and not become so fixated on doing medicine in the future.... would have focused on something else adapted to working in a lab and such... Now I'm just ultimately fudged... it's as if Moses brought us to the land of milk and honey only to thrust us into hell....

The points are adjusted to narrow the gap between excellent students and very good students.

• Advertisement

so how many total points would lilely gurantee you a place?

Mainly because the past trend yielded that a lot of people doing medicine lacked interpersonal skills. It used to be all about points. They adjust 600 to 560 to correct this problem and allow more suitable people to apply- not only those with academic prowess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cathysweet

grind courses arent worth it. I did one and it was useless- the only good thing it did was replicate the actual stress of the hpat, you know, 100 or more people in a room panicing, trying to think logically over the sound of pens scratching etc.. other than that, waste of money. I just bought a logical reasoning book myself and tried to train my brain haha!:)

so although 900 is the max, no-one can actually get it??

so how many total points would lilely gurantee you a place?

As per usual excellent students 550-600 will get in... totally moot point to do the HPAT... Fecking government trying to lynch us and take out money as per usual...

860 is the max and I'm sure it's theoretically possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

If I had gotten my HPAT results months ago, I would have been motivated enough to rape the Leaving Cert.

Fudgemonkeys.

860 is the max and I'm sure it's theoretically possible.

Nope not anymore, with the way that have rigged the exams..... I mean ya sure it's 'possible' but they change the marking scheme so severly you will NEVER get 300 points. We have set the trend and it seems that you will only get 200 points (approx) maximum... EVER.

so if i pull out 677 total points will that gurantee me a place, or is that to low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 TheMightyDouche

Ok i got 183 , 92nd percentile but just wondering does anyone know how many medicine places there are in Dublin? (UCD, TCD and RCSI combined)

• Advertisement

are there any sites or resources where ya can view what was good enough in recent years to get a place

No, 860 is the maximum. Realistically, though it isn't attainable. I'm guessing that even the best in the country won't exceed the 800 mark.
    I'd also say that a person would be pretty safe with about 720.

so if i pull out 677 total points will that gurantee me a place, or is that to low

I'm curious as to who you are adjusting and adding your points.... you said you got 97 in the HPAT?

600 points is READJUSTED to 560
    Add on the max of 300 points to the 560 to get your cumulative mark

Zenith23 wrote: »
    No, 860 is the maximum. Realistically, though it isn't attainable. I'm guessing that even the best in the country won't exceed the 800 mark.
    I'd also say that a person would be pretty safe with about 720.

Why do you say this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hpat 123

does ne1 think dat d grinds 4 hpat helped....i did all my practice exams on **** n still such a low score...
    also um not sure if i shud let hpat demotivate me 4m enterin med...i mean thr are thousands of docs around the world or even d present 1s in ireland who neva did an aptitude tst, does dat mean thy r incompetent??

If anyone wants to calculate your absolute maximum:

Add your HPAT score to 560

And for your minimum:

Add your HPAT score to 480

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ktah

i hope your right zeneith....il only need 530 then which is a good possibility.
    i got 94% and couldn't belive it.was delighted but since, have kinda realised it doesnt mean as much.theres such a narrow range of results that i still have to get my target 550 to kinda guaruntee me a place and the chances of that arent great,but its possible.
    basically these results have just meant i have started to,and will continue to worry about de leaving cert results!!:confused::confused:

Crystler wrote: »
    Nope not anymore, with the way that have rigged the exams..... I mean ya sure it's 'possible' but they change the marking scheme so severly you will NEVER get 300 points. We have set the trend and it seems that you will only get 200 points (approx) maximum... EVER.

Surely if you got everything in the HPAT right they'd HAVE to give you the 300 points, no?

ktah wrote: »
    i hope your right zeneith....il only need 530 then which is a good possibility.
    i got 94% and couldn't belive it.was delighted but since, have kinda realised it doesnt mean as much.theres such a narrow range of results that i still have to get my target 550 to kinda guaruntee me a place and the chances of that arent great,but its possible.
    basically these results have just meant i have started to,and will continue to worry about de leaving cert results!!:confused::confused:

Exact same boat, 94% also, and I'm already freaking out about my LC results.

• Advertisement

Surely if you got everything in the HPAT right they'd HAVE to give you the 300 points, no?

Do we even know what is right though? They won't release our papers or the proper answers, so who is to say whats the right answers? Once again... following ACER's trends of causing a conspiracy!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement