Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Why do you say this?

Well, 720 points is a combo of 560 and 160 HPAT points. Since 160 points is above the 150 average and 560 in the maximum attainable points I'd say you have a great chance of getting in. Only speculative, however.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭ThehPatroniser

I still have not got the famous e-mail telling me how to access my hPat result. Of course there is no way to contact the perpetrators other than by e-mail which is like talking to the wall. Rang the CAO in desperation. They tell me to "look at the hPat Website". Thats no use as the hPat crowd HAVE NOT BOTHERED TO UPDATE THEIR WEBSITE IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM. However the CAO did helpfully tell me that this afternoon I can access my CAO file which will contain the HPat result....AM I THE ONLY ONE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

Zenith23 wrote: »
    Well, 720 points is a combo of 560 and 160 HPAT points. Since 160 points is above the 150 average and 560 in the maximum attainable points I'd say you have a great chance of getting in. Only speculative, however.

All these little speculations seems to just prove the point that if you don't get above 550, you can't get into medicine... so basically the HPAT is moot... only way to get into medicine is to do exceptionally well in the LC. There is no balance..... You can't do mediocre in both and get in (say 525 in LC and getting 150 in the HPAT).

I'm just at a loss of what to feel at the moment, getting brought up and then being crushed severly even before I get my LC results because I already know I haven't gotten above 530....(nor will I ever)

I still have not got the famous e-mail telling me how to access my hPat result. Of course there is no way to contact the perpetrators other than by e-mail which is like talking to the wall. Rang the CAO in desperation. They tell me to "look at the hPat Website". Thats no use as the hPat crowd HAVE NOT BOTHERED TO UPDATE THEIR WEBSITE IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM. However the CAO did helpfully tell me that this afternoon I can access my CAO file which will contain the HPat result....AM I THE ONLY ONE.

Have you not called HPAT? or send their correspondant and email. try it now and they will send it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

Crystler wrote: »
    Do we even know what is right though? They won't release our papers or the proper answers, so who is to say whats the right answers? Once again... following ACER's trends of causing a conspiracy!
    Well it's proprietry information. If it was released people could take shortcuts and basically study for it, and it would harm the integrity of the exam.
    I sincerely doubt that they're organising a conspiracy to prevent you, or anyone, from studying medicine.

It's in the company's interests to run the exam as fairly as possible so that it retains the confidence of the universities and governments. In Australia many universities rely almost solely on the results of the UMAT (Basically the HPAT) to admit students. So they must be confident that they're getting the best possible med students they can.

Also, it's a not-for-profit organisation so they're hardly in it to get money out of us!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭logic123

so if you get above 550? your almost certainly guranteed a place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Well, by Zenith's logic, you could ace the HPAT with 200, get a decent 520 in the Leaving, and have as much chance as the >550 LC, average HPAT people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Do you have a candidate number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ormo

IMO to get a place in medicine you will have to achieve 560+ points in the leaving cert. AND ace the HPAT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭ThehPatroniser

Have you not called HPAT? or send their correspondant and email. try it now and they will send it over.
    There is no telephone number to phone hPat,. Thats my problem. I've sent these [good people] an e-mail but i might as well be urinating into a Force 10. Help fellow victims

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 ktah

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Well, by Zenith's logic, you could ace the HPAT with 200, get a decent 520 in the Leaving, and have as much chance as the >550 LC, average HPAT people.
    im liking zeneiths logic...i got 188 so with 532, i.e. 530 or 535 il get de 720!still might struggle ta get that in de leaving tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 TheMightyDouche

ktah wrote: »
    i hope your right zeneith....il only need 530 then which is a good possibility.
    i got 94% and couldn't belive it.was delighted but since, have kinda realised it doesnt mean as much.theres such a narrow range of results that i still have to get my target 550 to kinda guaruntee me a place and the chances of that arent great,but its possible.
    basically these results have just meant i have started to,and will continue to worry about de leaving cert results!!:confused::confused:

Just wondering with these people who got 94% what was your score out of 300?? Just cause i got 92% wanted to see how many actual points are seperating people.....it looks like its gonna be the leaving which decides it at this rate anyway though..

i agree with what hpat said above, thousands of doctors never had to take an aptitude test, but dosent make them imcopetant. i personally dont belive in the HPAT test becuase your either born with being good at it or your not.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

I got a cool 204 :cool: in the 99th percentile.I am truly chuffed but the leaving cert definitely won't be nice to me.I hope it all goes well.

HQvhs wrote: »
    Well it's proprietry information. If it was released people could take shortcuts and basically study for it, and it would harm the integrity of the exam.
    I sincerely doubt that they're organising a conspiracy to prevent you, or anyone, from studying medicine.

It's in the company's interests to run the exam as fairly as possible so that it retains the confidence of the universities and governments. In Australia many universities rely almost solely on the results of the UMAT (Basically the HPAT) to admit students. So they must be confident that they're getting the best possible med students they can.

Also, it's a not-for-profit organisation so they're hardly in it to get money out of us!

I don't understand what you mean by propriety information, but why hold the HPAT exam if only people who get 550+ are admitted and having students only getting 480 -500 getting their hopes up?(It is impossible to get into medicine still if you only get 480-500 Possibly even getting only 510 in my opinion) It seems like they should have held the cut off point at 520 rather than 480 as it would have allowed students, like myself, to explore other alternatives (As I wouldn't have just closed my mind off any other oppourtunities. Only thing that could justify them concealing the results to retain the integrity of the exams is for people getting above the average an interview in the colleges allowing them a chance into the course regardless of getting below 550 (but above 480).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

There is no telephone number to phone hPat,. Thats my problem. I've sent these [good people] an e-mail but i might as well be urinating into a Force 10. Help fellow victims

Do you have a candidate no?

Just wondering with these people who got 94% what was your score out of 300?? Just cause i got 92% wanted to see how many actual points are seperating people.....it looks like its gonna be the leaving which decides it at this rate anyway though..
    i got 94% with 188.very little separating us

lAWL the irish are so funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

There is no balance..... You can't do mediocre in both and get in (say 525 in LC and getting 150 in the HPAT).

I'm pretty sure that's the whole point of the new entry system?

You need WIDE-RANGING aptitudes, i.e., you need to show a bit of cop-on and intellect in the HPAT, but also, you need to display you're ability to retain vast amounts of information in the Leaving Cert. I think it's a good blend for a doctor, no?

Tbh, I feel it's far fairer than previous years for BOTH types of students, not just the talentless slogger, as used be.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

Without the hpat people like me wouldn't have a hope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 TheMightyDouche

ktah wrote: »
    i got 94% with 188.very little separating us

yeah and mine was 183...so thats 5 leaving cert points basically! Difference between an A2 and B1 :eek:

i disagree HPAT is an exam where you either good at it or your not, your born with it or your not born with it. HPAT is an easy exam for some and so your not displaying anything. It enables slackers to take an easy exam into medicine. i dont understand why they dont stick to the leaving certificate, in this you must display hard work, becuase your not born with thre natural gift of doing well atLC Hpat is an IQ type test where your either good at it or not.

logic123 wrote: »
    i agree with what hpat said above, thousands of doctors never had to take an aptitude test, but dosent make them imcopetant. i personally dont belive in the HPAT test becuase your either born with being good at it or your not.

I personally disagree, have you seen the standard of doctors in Ireland nowadays? I mean half of them can't put an IV on properly! And don't mention 'Oh thats just about 1 in every 20 cases or 200 cases. It should be 1 in 2000(should be closer to never, but who knows mistakes are mistakes but they should only happen rarely) cases I mean HELLO! studying it for 6 years and then doing on the job training for another 2 years while studying. At the moment nurses make better doctors than the doctors in Ireland. I think they should all get re-vamped and checked on their techniques (obviously this doesn't apply to all doctors just about 30% of them). Plenty of doctors are incompetent, granted I can't say much as I might not be able to get in. It's more than just book learning, it's your actual ability getting placed into medicine also!

The HPAT test is pointless I agree, in the aspect that you still need above 550+ to guarantee a place and only have a fighting chance if you get above 530 points. So it is still restricted to people who do exceptionally well in the LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lorien1990

Hi everyone,

So i got an overall score of 133, which gives me an overall percentile of 23....so should i now just come to terms with the fact that medicine will not be going down on my final CAO form or leave it as is!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

My real issue isn't my score because I kinda realised months ago that I don't have the ability needed to do medicine, which is fine because I'm just as happy doing nursing...I think! I just don't want to look back in years to come and think that I should have given it a better shot.

My Leaving Cert also did not go well beause I was so sick, in and out of doctors surgerys and hospital...all kinda ironic haha. So I don't even know how good or bad points wise it has gone for me!

I really would just appreciate some advice guys but I really wish everyone the best of luck with their own hpat results and hope that whatever you identify your dream to be that it will become a reality soon and if not soon eventually... because all we can do now is wait and on the 12 of August deal with whatever is dealt to us! Enjoy this summer-we deserve it!

x

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

I don't understand what you mean by propriety information, but why hold the HPAT exam if only people who get 550+ are admitted and having students only getting 480 -500 getting their hopes up?(It is impossible to get into medicine still if you only get 480-500 Possibly even getting only 510 in my opinion) It seems like they should have held the cut off point at 520 rather than 480 as it would have allowed students, like myself, to explore other alternatives (As I wouldn't have just closed my mind off any other oppourtunities. Only thing that could justify them concealing the results to retain the integrity of the exams is for people getting above the average an interview in the colleges allowing them a chance into the course regardless of getting below 550 (but above 480).

By proprietary information I mean that it's a trade secret. If it was released than other companies could copy them or Universities could just hold their own exams. ACER put the work into developing the exam so they should rightly be able to reap the benefits. The same idea as patents basically.

I'm not sure what logic they were following when setting LC point cut offs and the rest. Although, medicine is a very tough course involving longs hours of work, a lot of memorisation and more importantly the ability to recall that information at a moments notice under pressure. These are traits examined by the leaving cert. Someone who gets 550 is eminently more qualified and able to become a doctor than someone who gets 480. At the end of the day bedside manner is irrelevant if you can't treat the patient.

Interviews unfortunately wouldn't work in Ireland. We're too small a country and it would quickly descend into a case of having to "know someone". If you think the lack of transparency in the hpat is bad, an interview system would be far worse.

And as regards not exploring alternatives, that unfortunately is your prerogative. I got a very good hpat result and I hope to get a decent LC, although it could go either way. But I still explored every alternative I could. On my CAO are 10 courses, each of which I would happily do.

I'm pretty sure that's the whole point of the new entry system?

You need WIDE-RANGING aptitudes, i.e., you need to show a bit of cop-on and intellect in the HPAT, but also, you need to display you're ability to retain vast amounts of information in the Leaving Cert. I think it's a good blend for a doctor, no?

Tbh, I feel it's far fairer than previous years for BOTH types of students, not just the talentless slogger, as used be.

True, but then why have the cut-off points at 480? it SHOULD have been at 520 the cut off point instead of disillusioning a ton of people! Answer me that please, as I am dumbfounded by this blatant trickery!

logic123 wrote: »
    i disagree HPAT is an exam where you either good at it or your not, your born with it or your not born with it. HPAT is an easy exam for some and so your not displaying anything. It enables slackers to take an easy exam into medicine. i dont understand why they dont stick to the leaving certificate, in this you must display hard work, becuase your not born with thre natural gift of doing well atLC Hpat is an IQ type test where your either good at it or not.
    noo dont agree! i know lik there is a flip side to de coin but without HPAT, i wouldnt have a hope.lik if ur good enough at school and with leaving cert, then you'l get the 560 points,and u should get medicine with that unless u totally screwed up the HPAT.
    it just means theres a broader range of skills in medicine, not just people who spend 8 hours a day studyin for a yuear before the leaving cert.

tbh im in the same boat, i got 97 but i am not giving up, becuase if i can get my grades from my leaving certificate the points take me up above the average, which gives me a good chance around the 660 mark, so i would keep it on tbh, the leaving certificate is worth alot more then HPAT and tbh the results for HPAT are pretty narrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

^Personally, I'd be afraid to take Med off the CAO. Just in case. I'd feel like I was tempting fate, just a bit. Unless it's taking up space for other courses I'd leave it on. You never know.

That's just me though.

EDIT: That was intended for the girl on the last page, I should post quicker, ehehe...

• Advertisement

HQvhs wrote: »
    By proprietry information I mean that it's a trade secret. If it was released than other companies could copy them or Universities could just hold their own exams. ACER put the work into developing the exam so they should rightly be able to reap the benefits. The same idea as patents basically.

I'm not sure what logic they were following when setting LC point cut offs and the rest. Although, medicine is a very tough course involving longs hours of work, a lot of memorisation and more importantly the ability to recall that information at a moments notice under pressure. These are traits examined by the leaving cert. Someone who gets 550 is eminently more qualified and able to become a doctor than someone who gets 480. At the end of the day bedside manner is irrelevant if you can't treat the patient.

Interviews unfortunately wouldn't work in Ireland. We're too small a country and it would quickly descend into a case of having to "know someone". If you think the lack of transparency in the hpat is bad, an interview system would be far worse.

And as regards not exploring alternatives, that unfortunately is your prerogative. I got a very good hapt result and I hope to get a decent LC, although it could go either way. But I still explored every alternative I could. On my CAO are 10 courses, each of which I would happily do.

Yes I understand what you mean, and unfortunately closing my mind off to any other course is my own fault. I have put down fall backs, but motivation is influenced by ambition and since I had it in my mind that I could get into medicine I solely lost interest in anything else, and that is something you cannot train yourself to get into. I have courses down I have a 'meh' opinion to doing, not opposed to do and will have fun doing it but will mainly be melancholic about not getting into something that was supposedly attainable.
    My feud is not with the HPAT exam's transparency, nor the Leaving Cert, but in the way it was represented in the information booklet and the way it was conveyed. I do believe that it is a judge on one's natural ability and comprehensiveness (and memorizing ability), my feud lies within the hope shattering it has dealt me and I'm sure many others, who have seen medicine as a vocation and getting their hopes up (I'm certain I'm not the only one)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement