Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭logic123

whats everyones back up choices, cause unfortunaly about 2000+ people wont get to medicine this year, so SPIT out your back ups hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cathysweet

broken record here: leave med there!!! just leave it. what harm can it possibly do, unless its not allowing u fit everything. llleeeaaaavvveee iiiiittttt:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Back ups include Human Health and Disease, Psychology, Science, er, and English!?

we have an interview system in britain which works very well, but we also have the disadvantage of an BMAT AND UKCAT like the HPAT, unfortunaly our universitiies just look at BMAT AND UKCAT and brush everything a side. Ireland would benefit from an interview system, like you said a small country so it shouldent be a problem interviwing people. Getting to knoe the person is much better then getting to know them throuhg IQ tests and puzzles

my back-up is dentistry. my friend is doing it even though it wasn't her first choice, and she adores it. i need to work with people to survive like, being in a lab would kill me so science is out, and having already done a year of law and french, i know anything non-science related is also out!!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

Crystler wrote: »
    Yes I understand what you mean, and unfortunately closing my mind off to any other course is my own fault. I have put down fall backs, but motivation is influenced by ambition and since I had it in my mind that I could get into medicine I solely lost interest in anything else, and that is something you cannot train yourself to get into. I have courses down I have a 'meh' opinion to doing, not opposed to do and will have fun doing it but will mainly be melancholic about not getting into something that was supposedly attainable.
    My feud is not with the HPAT exam's transparency, nor the Leaving Cert, but in the way it was represented in the information booklet and the way it was conveyed. I do believe that it is a judge on one's natural ability and comprehensiveness (and memorizing ability), my feud lies within the hope shattering it has dealt me and I'm sure many others, who have seen medicine as a vocation and getting their hopes up (I'm certain I'm not the only one)

I know what you mean. It is awful to get your hopes dashed, I know what it's like. But from a neutral vantage point here I can tell you that you do still have a chance. And there are still other options left.

There are almost 10 days left until the CAO change of mind facility closes. You could use this time to investigate other courses you'd like to do. There could be something else you are interested in but haven't seriously considered because it's not well-regarded, there's not stable job at the end, the points are very low, or other people sneer at the course. Sorry if that sounds bad, I'm not saying you're going to medicine for the wrong reasons, of all the people here you're probably on of the few who wants it for the right reasons. But a lot of people don't consider a lot of back-up courses for the wrong reasons. I'm probably making no sense there! Basically, make sure you spend the next 10 days really thinking about what you want to do with the next 4 years of your life.

Alternatively, you could always repeat or aim to do post-graduate medicine. Or you could apply through UCAS for next year. If medicine is what you really, really want, then it's worth exploring all these different avenues.

It's terrible to see someone's hopes raised and then dashed, but there are ways to become a doctor and if you're determined enough you can find a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

cathysweet wrote: »
    my back-up is dentistry. my friend is doing it even though it wasn't her first choice, and she adores it. i need to work with people to survive like, being in a lab would kill me so science is out, and having already done a year of law and french, i know anything non-science related is also out!!!:)

Agreed....

My backups are : Biochemistry, Human Health & Disease, Omnibus science... i should put more but, what is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ktah

aww i just realised i dont have biology 4 that health and disease thihg.ragin!!!:mad::mad:sounded lik a great back up to medicine!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 applewhite

cathysweet wrote: »
    i got 185, 93rd percentile, and i have 580 points from last year. dunno where that leaves me, so the agony will continue until next august:(:(

you have it ,dont worry.i'd be very surprised if you didnt get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

True, but then why have the cut-off points at 480? it SHOULD have been at 520 the cut off point instead of disillusioning a ton of people! Answer me that please, as I am dumbfounded by this blatant trickery!

I don't think it's trickery. If you're an absolute genius, but doss through 6th year, you technically still have a chance. I mean you get 300 in the HPAT and, as unlikely as it may be, 480 in the LC, and a place in med school would seem highly probable.

I really can't see any logic behind a 520 cut-off. Frankly, I feel the only reason a number was introduced was to prevent the people who get 200 points from wasting money by sitting the test.

If it were up to me though, no such number 'selection minimum' would exist. Anyone wanting to do med would sit the HPAT and the top x cumulative scores (after 550+ adjustment) would be awarded a place.

And anyone who was so deluded as to think mediocrity in BOTH tests (LC and HPAT) would be rewarded with a place in med school, probably wouldn't be a great doctor, imho.

• Advertisement

logic123 wrote: »
    we have an interview system in britain which works very well, but we also have the disadvantage of an BMAT AND UKCAT like the HPAT, unfortunaly our universitiies just look at BMAT AND UKCAT and brush everything a side. Ireland would benefit from an interview system, like you said a small country so it shouldent be a problem interviwing people. Getting to knoe the person is much better then getting to know them throuhg IQ tests and puzzles
    Not sure if you're referring to me, but I said an interview system definitely would not work here. There are so few places and it's such a small country (Half the size of London) that it would be wide open to corruption. If you didn't have contacts in the medical profession or in the universities, or if you didn't have the money your prospects of getting into medicine would be slim with interviews, regardless of ability.

HQvhs wrote: »
    I know what you mean. It is awful to get your hopes dashed, I know what it's like. But from a neutral vantage point here I can tell you that you do still have a chance. And there are still other options left.

There are almost 10 days left until the CAO change of mind facility closes. You could use this time to investigate other areas you'd like to do. I imagine there is something else you are interested in but won't seriously consider because it's not well-regarded, there's not stable job at the end, the points are very low, or other people sneer at the course. Sorry if that sounds bad, I'm not saying you're going to medicine for the wrong reasons, of all the people here you're probably on of the few who wants it for the right reasons. But a lot of people don't consider a lot of back ups for the wrong reasons. I'm probably making no sense there!

Alternatively, you could always repeat or aim to do post-graduate medicine. Or you could apply through UCAS for next year. If medicine is what you really, really want, then it's worth exploring all these different avenues.

It's terrible to see someone's hopes raised and then dashed, but there are ways to become a doctor and if you're determined enough you can find a way.

Thanks, your words really do help. I plan to ultimately do medicine, if I don't get into Ireland I'll have to go abroad, at the moment I'm applying to a college in China, Hungary, and... forgot the other place I applied to... I don't plan on repeating for the sole reason that fee's will be placed in (sure it's up for speculation but it's most likely gonna happen, and I don't want my parents to be placed under that kind of financial pressure.) So best option is going abroad where cost of living is cheaper and I'll be able to minimise the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

lorien1990 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

So i got an overall score of 133, which gives me an overall percentile of 23....so should i now just come to terms with the fact that medicine will not be going down on my final CAO form or leave it as is!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

My real issue isn't my score because I kinda realised months ago that I don't have the ability needed to do medicine, which is fine because I'm just as happy doing nursing...I think! I just don't want to look back in years to come and think that I should have given it a better shot.

My Leaving Cert also did not go well beause I was so sick, in and out of doctors surgerys and hospital...all kinda ironic haha. So I don't even know how good or bad points wise it has gone for me!

I really would just appreciate some advice
    x

repeat. It's not that bad once you get into the mindset and you will have no regrets. Have a nice summer after your rough year and focus for 8 months from september. What's 8 months out of the rest of your life :)

Edit: But you should still fill out your CAO based on what you want to do not what you think you will get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

There's always biomedical science in UCD it's basically their Human Health and Disease
    DIT have another good one by the same name

i hope so. this has been a long time coming:)

anyone have physics for there backup?

ktah wrote: »
    aww i just realised i dont have biology 4 that health and disease thihg.ragin!!!:mad::mad:sounded lik a great back up to medicine!:(

http://publishing.yudu.com/Aqte6/UCD2009MED/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=&skipFlashCheck=true look through this for biomedical science it's UCD's version of HH&D and doesn't need biology just one lab science

Thanks, your words really do help. I plan to ultimately do medicine, if I don't get into Ireland I'll have to go abroad, at the moment I'm applying to a college in China, Hungary, and... forgot the other place I applied to... I don't plan on repeating for the sole reason that fee's will be placed in (sure it's up for speculation but it's most likely gonna happen, and I don't want my parents to be placed under that kind of financial pressure.) So best option is going abroad where cost of living is cheaper and I'll be able to minimise the costs.

If you're that determined ultimately nothing can stop you. Just keep trying even if it feels like banging your head against a brick wall.

Unfortunately no matter where you go nowadays you will have to pay fees. Don't let this put you off.
    Firstly, they may introduce a grad tax instead of fees.
    Secondly, as a med student I would imagine getting a student loan wouldn't be too difficult, even in these straightened times. Ireland could still be cheaper as you wouldn't have accommodation etc.

Look into other CAO courses you may want here. Then, wait until August for the results and then make your next move. Just do not remove medicine from the CAO!

You sound like you want nothing more than to do medicine. If you work hard enough and try enough you can get it.

I don't think it's trickery. If you're an absolute genius, but doss through 6th year, you technically still have a chance. I mean you get 300 in the HPAT and, as unlikely as it may be, 480 in the LC, and a place in med school would seem highly probable.

I really can't see any logic behind a 520 cut-off. Frankly, I feel the only reason a number was introduced was to prevent the people who get 200 points from wasting money by sitting the test.

If it were up to me though, no such number 'selection minimum' would exist. Anyone wanting to do med would sit the HPAT and the top x cumulative scores (after 550+ adjustment) would be awarded a place.

And anyone who was so deluded as to think mediocrity in BOTH tests (LC and HPAT) would be rewarded with a place in med school, probably wouldn't be a great doctor, imho.

No one PLANS to do exams for admission into college 'mediocritly' (not sure if thats the right adverb) what I have said is that regardless of how well you do in the HPAT you will still need above 530(chancing with 520) to get in (and by mediocrity is around 480-510). Due to the practise tests everyone was lookin around the mid 200's and only about 1 % of people got above 200 (lower than 220). So what makes mediocre, mediocre?

were else can you apply for medicine apart from ireland scotland england and wale and america?

• Advertisement

were else can you apply for medicine apart from ireland scotland england and wale and america?

Hungary, Slovakia (heard it from someone on this forum) 2 other eastern countries and China.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ktah

Craguls wrote: »
    http://publishing.yudu.com/Aqte6/UCD2009MED/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=&skipFlashCheck=true look through this for biomedical science it's UCD's version of HH&D and doesn't need biology just one lab science
    thanks!looks lik a good option!duno what ta put down afta medicine!veterinary wud b my second choice but if i get de points 4 that, im gunna get a med place so:confused:

of course you would need to speak there language?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 paperglue1234

absolutely devestated with my result- added to this the fact that the first time i checked the result it was 178- disappointing enough- checked it again just now to discover that it was changed to 136..........?????:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭ThehPatroniser

My e-mail never arrived so I had to get my score from the CAO website. Only one problem. They didn't have the percentile.

My score is 173

Does anyone know what percentile that is?

So far I see :
    Score 133 = 23 perc
    183 = 92 perc
    188 = 94 perc
    204 = 99 perc

Any other scores out there?

Depends where your interests lie really.
    Alot of people say good things about neuroscience, pharmacy, biochemistry is good if you liked chemistry at school.

of course you would need to speak there language?

The Hungarian course is in english I think, but you will need to obviously learn the languages as you will be spending 5-6 years there and working during that time so you should be able to pick it up.... besides Hungary I don't know if any other countries do it in english.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Streifi

i've got 69% with 161 points

My e-mail never arrived so I had to get my score from the CAO website. Only one problem. They didn't have the percentile.

My score is 173

Does anyone know what percentile that is?

So far I see :
    Score 133 = 23 perc
    183 = 92 perc
    188 = 94 perc
    204 = 99 perc

Any other scores out there?

You got 83% or 86%. I remember seeing someone else with that score and had this percentage. Congrats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

173 = 84%

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement