Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

Crystler wrote: »
    You got 83% or 86%. I remember seeing someone else with that score and had this percentage. Congrats

you got 84th percentile-congratulations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭logic123

has anyone got lower then 97 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

this is summary so far of results posted-hope this helps:D

123 points 13th percentile
    150 points 49 th percentile
    161 points 69th percentile
    164 points 73rd percentile
    173 points 84th percentile
    176 points 86th percentile
    177 points 87th percentile
    180-183 points 92nd percentile
    185,186 points 93rd percentile
    187,188 points 94th percentile
    191,192 points 96th percentile
    201-205 points 99th percentile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Waaahhh

On the CAO website it breaks down your HPAT score into the three sections!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ooh thanks for that, interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cathysweet

ACER test scores (where available):
    Exam Score 1 Score 2 Score 3 Overall
    HPAT 061 075 049 185

figured i may aswell bare my soul!|:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

HPAT 067 061 060 187

EDIT: cathysweet, you kick my ass at interpersonal intelligence :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

ktah wrote: »
    duno what ta put down afta medicine!veterinary wud b my second choice but if i get de points 4 that, im gunna get a med place so:confused:

don't be filling cao places based on predicted points :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cathysweet

god, yours are nice and even!!! the middle section cleary saved my bacon haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cantona56

has anyone ever entered a really long msg and the deleted it by accident????......soooo annoying:mad:....

anyway, well done to everyone on fantastic results!! i thought i did ok but now im starting to think i havnt a hope!!....153 and 55%....fairly middle of the road......i wud consider myself a 'talentless slogger' when it comes to anything academic...i suppose the kind of person the hpat is trying to weed out:D...but i really really really want to study medicine...( like everyone else here:D.....does anyone think that i have a chance??? i think the LC went really well....i think i can get 580 if all goes well!!!

i have almost resigned to defeat but i just coudnt face repeating all those hours of study...iv deprived my skin of vitD for long enough!!!...

again, well done on some great scores, by the sound of things many of you will make great doctors!!! good luck in august!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

HPAT 058 067 052 177

Ouch... fairly average, only my interpersonal rose above my average :S As per usual my abstract thinking was the lowest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

This is weird. It said I was in the 94th percentile but my score was only 188. Maketh sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

HPAT 074 044 067 184

92nd percentile..

Section 2 let me down, but it was always going to be my worst

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Streifi

how did you get the results of the sections? can't find it... sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ktah

ACER test scores (where available): Exam Score 1 Score 2 Score 3 Overall HPAT 058 064 067 188

c'mere is that not 189???WDF?

Go into My Application and scroll down to the bottom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭ThehPatroniser

In order to calculate the relevance of the HPAT score we need to know:

1. The number who sat the HPat;
    2. The number of Medical places available.

In order to have any idea of whats going on we need to rank ourselves in the context of the number of places available (ignoring the LCert points).
    We ought to be able to say shortly where we all stand NOW. I am assuming that thereafter 550 LC points minimum will be necessary, and the question will then arise as to the change in ranking depending on the point in the range 550 to 600.

Any one in possession of the data needed to do the maths?

cantona56 wrote: »
    has anyone ever entered a really long msg and the deleted it by accident????......soooo annoying:mad:....

anyway, well done to everyone on fantastic results!! i thought i did ok but now im starting to think i havnt a hope!!....153 and 55%....fairly middle of the road......i wud consider myself a 'talentless slogger' when it comes to anything academic...i suppose the kind of person the hpat is trying to weed out:D...but i really really really want to study medicine...( like everyone else here:D.....does anyone think that i have a chance??? i think the LC went really well....i think i can get 580 if all goes well!!!

i have almost resigned to defeat but i just coudnt face repeating all those hours of study...iv deprived my skin of vitD for long enough!!!...

again, well done on some great scores, by the sound of things many of you will make great doctors!!! good luck in august!!:)

In my opinion. Anyone who gets over 550+ in the leaving cert will and have decent HPAT results (as in from 150-170) have a stronger chance compared to those with rather low (510-530ish) LC results and good HPAT results (170-200)

Is there anyway to figure out what you got in the different areas.

This is weird. It said I was in the 94th percentile but my score was only 188. Maketh sense?

Noone has any idea how the HPAT was marked, so what might seem like a low overall raw score is misleading! 201 is the 99th percentile.

Well done-top 6%!!:D

• Advertisement

In order to calculate the relevance of the HPAT score we need to know:

1. The number who sat the HPat;
    2. The number of Medical places available.

In order to have any idea of whats going on we need to rank ourselves in the context of the number of places available (ignoring the LCert points).
    We ought to be able to say shortly where we all stand NOW. I am assuming that thereafter 550 LC points minimum will be necessary, and the question will then arise as to the change in ranking depending on the point in the range 550 to 600.

Any one in possession of the data needed to do the maths?
    Piste wrote: »
    Maybe this is dodgy maths, but there are 3356 applicants who have medicine as their first choice and 405 places. 405/3356 x 100 = 12% so only 12% of people who sat the HPAT (i.e. people in the 88% percentile) have already got their place.

The leaving cert will change this a good bit, but will it change it significantly?

At the moment it's bye bye medicine for me :(

In my opinion. Anyone who gets over 550+ in the leaving cert will and have decent HPAT results (as in from 150-170) have a stronger chance compared to those with rather low (510-530ish) LC results and good HPAT results (170-200)

Sorry but once you get to the points threshold it doesn't matter how you got there.
    So someone with 560(LC) + 170(HPAT) has a total of 730 points-the same as someone who got 530+200!!

I know a good few in the top percentile who don't reckon they'll do medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

No one PLANS to do exams for admission into college 'mediocritly' (not sure if thats the right adverb) what I have said is that regardless of how well you do in the HPAT you will still need above 530(chancing with 520) to get in (and by mediocrity is around 480-510). Due to the practise tests everyone was lookin around the mid 200's and only about 1 % of people got above 200 (lower than 220). So what makes mediocre, mediocre?

Relative previous years, 520 points is a mediocre LC score for admission into medicine. Christ, imagine your complaints had you sat the LC in 2005 when med entry to TCD was 590* (600 median) http://www2.cao.ie/points/LVL8_05.PDF!

Now, I'm not in any way insinuating that these students would, or, indeed, will be better doctors than you yourself. You evidently have a great desire to become a doctor, and I, like I'm sure may other readers of this thread, recognize that you will some-day make a fantastic medic. But I can in no way accept that you have been cheated by the system, if low leaving cert points restrict your application. The fairest system is the one in place. If places were awarded on the premise of "some deserve it more than others", the selection technique would be rendered unjust and unmeritorious.

What I'm attempting to say is, the selection process for medicine is fairer than ever. The emphasis still favours the LC, granted, but now, problem solving aptitudes are acknowledged, and rightfully so.

Also, one final thing. You should never predict an intellect-based score from a sample paper. As the paper is based on intelligence and adaptability, its true purpose is to see your mental skills used in a foreign scenario. A fairer judgment would perhaps have been your natural ability and its corresponding percentile, relative to your other classmates or medical school applicants known to you.

It was the exact same exam for all students, and my guess would be that the most naturally gifted students topped the grading.

Personally, though, I hope you get in. You have an unrelenting drive for medicine, which is commendable.

G'luck!

(This is all ahead of me next year :eek:)

mine adds up to 162 if i count the points but have just 161 as well... might be 62.2 and 56.7 or so and they just don't bother with the lasts digits. assume the scores they send out by email are the correct ones...
    read somewhere that they calculate not just points but down to decimal numbers

HPAT 061 061 067 188

Thought I scored highest in the middle section and that I scored way lower in the first. Thought the 3rd was a piece of cake but that the second was way harder than in the practice booklet- too many options that could be both right. Ah well

Relative previous years, 520 points is a mediocre LC score for admission into medicine. Christ, imagine your complaints had you sat the LC in 2005 when med entry to TCD was 590* (600 median) http://www2.cao.ie/points/LVL8_05.PDF!

Now, I'm not in any way insinuating that these students would, or, indeed, will be better doctors than you yourself. You evidently have a great desire to become a doctor, and I, like I'm sure may other readers of this thread, recognize that you will some-day make a fantastic medic. But I can in no way accept that you have been cheated by the system, if low leaving cert points restrict your application. The fairest system is the one in place. If places were awarded on the premise of "some deserve it more than others", the selection technique would be rendered unjust and unmeritorious.

What I'm attempting to say is, the selection process for medicine is fairer than ever. The emphasis still favours the LC, granted, but now, problem solving aptitudes are acknowledged, and rightfully so.

Also, one final thing. You should never predict an intellect-based score from a sample paper. As the paper is based on intelligence and adaptability, its true purpose is to see your mental skills used in a foreign scenario. A fairer judgment would perhaps have been your natural ability and its corresponding percentile, relative to your other classmates or medical school applicants known to you.

It was the exact same exam for all students, and my guess would be that the most naturally gifted students topped the grading.

Personally, though, I hope you get in. You have an unrelenting drive for medicine, which is commendable.

G'luck!

(This is all ahead of me next year :eek:)

The Leaving Cert is all one big prediction, but yes I understand your points. I'll most likely look back on this in August and realise that the system is just and fair, but at the moment I feel betrayed by a system that once brought me hope.

I wish you all the luck for your leaving cert next year, it is not scarey at all until like 2 mins before your exam, even if you have prepared your ass off. At this point I wish I had the money to pay for grinds in language subjects so I had a 7th honour (dropped french the month before, and then app.maths went to the toilet).

I read on the summer exams forum (posted on it also) and read you did superb on your 5th year exams, good going :D

well everybody...
    i have to go to work now and can't follow up this any longer... somehow i have to earn the money for the fees...
    finger's crossed for everyone who really wants to do it for the right reasons! Always remember there's a second chance to do so. I was hugely dissappointed when i didn't get into medicine straight after the leaving (or my equivalent to it) and am fighting to get into it for almost 5 years now but these 5 years have been the best 5 years in my life! I've worked and had my own money. I learnt a hell lot more than i did in school and i found the love of my life and moved to a different country and learnt to be fluent in a foreign language.... where there is a will, there is a way! Just don't give up.
    I honestly think i'm gonna make a much better doctor now than i would have made 5 years ago!
    All the best to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Anyone get higher than the 97th percentile? A friend of mine did and he's buzzing!

• Advertisement

dog_pig wrote: »
    Anyone get higher than the 97th percentile? A friend of mine did and he's buzzing!

That's great :D a friend of one of the posters got in the top 1% (212) I'm going to go out now I'll keep up later on this evening! Hope I'll be less stressed.... Only superficial thing about me getting into medicine , as I have somehow painted myself as some kind of medicine cherub, is that I was hoping to get in at age 17 rather than age 18 or older :S

Off Topic: Who else thinks they should make a "Less Stress, More Success" book for Life after the Leaving (pre-results)?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement