Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

central heating boiler and house insurance

Options
  • 21-10-2008 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I have been told by a man that called to my door, that as from jan 2009 that I have to have my central heating boiler and my gas cooker serviced by him (as he is the only registered oftec service agent in our area) so that he can issue me with a certificate, which as from Jan 2009 I will need to be able to renew my house insurance, without it I will not be able to do so. Does anyone know if this is true or is it someone chancing there arm?:confused:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I have been told by a man that called to my door, that as from jan 2009 that I have to have my central heating boiler and my gas cooker serviced by him (as he is the only registered oftec service agent in our area) so that he can issue me with a certificate, which as from Jan 2009 I will need to be able to renew my house insurance, without it I will not be able to do so. Does anyone know if this is true or is it someone chancing there arm?:confused:
    Sounds like balls to me. Best way to be sure is phone your current insurer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

Complete and utter bull OFTEC is the oil equivalent to corgi ( which are both english standards assosiations )

what does matter is he is rgi registered and he is definitly not the only one in fact for his stunt I would steer clear of him and warn others

A full list of rgi competent engineers is available from bord gais 1850632632 or http www.bordgaisenergysupply.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It sounds suspicious. If this had to be done by everyone in the country, there would have to be a national publicity campaign and I haven't seen one of those yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

there are new rules coming into effect from next year that will make your house ins nul and void if you do not service your gas boiler and central heating system by a certified person, the new rules are there to make the systems better more efficient and safe, some old houses will need significant work to bring the systems up to date, which will cost an arm and a leg.
    being honest, i wouldnt go near the guy who knocked on your door, stay well clear of him, and advise others to do the same, but you will have to employ a person some time or later, they will once completed the work give you a full report on the central heating system in your house which will be required in the future.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sapphireblue

thanks for that, now where can I find out more information as to when this comes into play and a list of recognised service agents please.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement