Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally Cheese prices below 6.50 a kilo on special at Tesco

Options
  • 21-10-2008 6:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Finally Cheese prices below 6.50 a kilo on special at Tesco Ballybrack shop

yelolow chedder for ~E3.30 a kilo so I bought 5 blocks of ~500 grams and put four blocks in the deep freeze

Since march 2008 this year when all shops hiked the prices from E5 euros a kilo for Chedder to E6.50 overnight that was it I simply stopped buying cheese except when I went to the north of Ireland and found it for ~E5 euros a kilo

If the big multible shops here can get the message they cannot keep ripping our faces and we will not buy things until the price drops to something reasonable then more shoppers will go to the north of Ireland to buy stuff if the price is too high here

Hopefully prices are droppping and I don't have to go to the north of Ireland to shop

Derry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

:) thats funny travel to the north from dublin to save €1.50 per kg. do you bring a trailer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

No need for a trailer just bring a big shopping list

Before I go niorth I will go online with my shoping list to sites like Aldi.ie and Aldi .UK and compare prices or Tesco .ie and Tesco .UK

My saving on lots of things is like 25% and some times more than 40%

So if I buy cloths and foods stuff and various stuff and the comes to typically 400 euros in the North of Ireland then often the 25% saving from the south of ireland is about 100 euros

My car is small economic 1000cc suziki swift which gets 55MPG on a bad day and if I drive slower at 50mph I can often get 65MPG

From north county dublin where I leave from thats about 3 gallons of fuel return or about 15 euros

Saving equals 85 euros just from shopping

I often do the dentist on the same trip and saving from that alone is often 100 euros

Sometimes I get the car serviced there things like replace tyres or car exhasts car brakes and saving from four tyres were easily 50 euros

Next trip I might get a tow hook fitted which can trail trailers and the cost for fitting and supply of car trailer hook was 100 euros cheaper there than south Ireland

I have got a small trailer which I want to use for camping holidays or French trips and on the return journey fill the trailer with half of France as France is so cheap compared to ROI
    Between the car boot and the roof box and trailer I can bring back enough stuff to last months and even with the french ferry costs to make interesting saving that the holiday will have been a cheap holiday certianly much cheaper than a ROI holiday

However if prices drop here it would save me the problem to go to the north

So I regularly go into ROI shops and state the UK price and complain why it is typically 40% higher here than 50 miles up the road in northern Ireland and up to now havent had much luck getting prices reduced

So when a shop here matches Northern Ireland prices then I can be happy to post up in forums the good news that somebdy at the top is getting the message that prices are WAY too high in ROI and quit ripping our faces

Derry

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

derry wrote: »
    as France is so cheap compared to ROI

It's dirt cheap for alcohol and beer & coffeee.

Regular foodstuffs are much the same price as here - milk (both UHT and fresh) is dearer. Nappies are the same price.

parsi wrote: »
    It's dirt cheap for alcohol and beer & coffeee.

Regular foodstuffs are much the same price as here - milk (both UHT and fresh) is dearer. Nappies are the same price.

Depends on factors
    I lived in France for a few years so know where to source things very well and speak enough of the lingo to negosaite the better deals

I probably can do online or on phone the same deals without to go to France and even with rip off rates from shipping stuff still come in cheaper than ROI prices
    But where the fun in that so I normally prefer to use the money spent on shipping the stuff to make mini holidays out of it

Also one trip a year will give me enough wine (controlled good types not plonk often at less than ROI plonk prices ) to do most all the social drinking I need for most of the year

Then I usually do a one week holiday flight to spain and post back to me (spanish post is fairly cheap) lots of stuff and often fill the suitcases to hell and back (my older cloths and T shirts often get dumped in Spain to make room in the case ) and can save a fortune that way and nearly pay the price of the holiday back
    I dont bring back much drink from Spain as France as that is heavy weight stuff but often things like spices and herbs and certian food stuffs that are really cheap there especialy canned fish products

It helps I lived in Spain for a year and where to shop there as well but I don't speak so much spanish which is a problem to get the best deals

Derry

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Depends on factors
    I lived in France for a few years so know where to source things very well and speak enough of the lingo to negosaite the better deals

You might help the locals and let them know.

Over the years I've noticed that French prices are on a similar par to here (with the exception of specials and alcohol). The local French papers that I read also mention that the French people are getting browned off with higher prices.

I haven't found French online stores to be particularly cheaper than comparable Uk stores.

But anyway it's good that you speak the "lingo" and can negotiate better deals - must be really really handy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Depends on factors

I'm sure you negoiated many bargains in supermarkets! You can haggle over a car service but hardly over the grocery bill in a large supermarket.

I lived in France for a year and a half and generally grocery prices are not much cheaper than here.

As for all your travelling North why not just move there and save on the travelling expenses as well. I assume your employment doesn't rely on people here purchasing any goods or services you supply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I'm sure you negoiated many bargains in supermarkets! You can haggle over a car service but hardly over the grocery bill in a large supermarket.

I lived in France for a year and a half and generally grocery prices are not much cheaper than here.

As for all your travelling North why not just move there and save on the travelling expenses as well. I assume your employment doesn't rely on people here purchasing any goods or services you supply!

And you have to look at where your living too .. Lille for example would be quite expensive where as Le Havre would be quite cheap (and its a dump)

craichoe wrote: »
    And you have to look at where your living too .. Lille for example would be quite expensive where as Le Havre would be quite cheap (and its a dump)

One month of Le Harve was all I could take and it rained there more than Ireland

Every year that goes buy the price difference between ROI and France gets less but there is still a few years left to go before there is no point

Anyway For negosating prices in France you need to go to the supplier to the Resterants or supermarkets and typicaly buy several boxes of stuff with near to Paris often the better bet

Anyway its all turning into one Europe so its difficult to se why there is so high a price for many things in the ROI when a few miles away in the North things can be often be 20% cheaper for the same items ???

Derry

One month of Le Harve was all I could take and it rained there more than Ireland

Every year that goes buy the price difference between ROI and France gets less but there is still a few years left to go before there is no point

Anyway For negosating prices in France you need to go to the supplier to the Resterants or supermarkets and typicaly buy several boxes of stuff with near to Paris often the better bet

Anyway its all turning into one Europe so its difficult to se why there is so high a price for many things in the ROI when a few miles away in the North things can be often be 20% cheaper for the same items ???

Derry

Just the way it is, The Swiss do the same with Italy and the Dutch do the Same with Germany, its all a balance, some stuff is cheaper in different countries and vice versa. Its a free market, not a bunch of states under one government like the U.S.

Its hard to compare the North with the South, the North has the highest unemployment rate in the UK hence the spending power is much lower, similar to the wage difference between the Swiss and the Italians and the Dutch/Germans. Its all about what the consumer can afford, if its priced to high they simply can't buy it and if its cheaper to travel there and buy in bulk then great and thats what an open market is all about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

That's a decent price for fromage. Well spotted OP. Might be worth posting in Bargain Alerts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

craichoe wrote: »
    Just the way it is, The Swiss do the same with Italy and the Dutch do the Same with Germany, its all a balance, some stuff is cheaper in different countries and vice versa. Its a free market, not a bunch of states under one government like the U.S.

Its hard to compare the North with the South, the North has the highest unemployment rate in the UK hence the spending power is much lower, similar to the wage difference between the Swiss and the Italians and the Dutch/Germans. Its all about what the consumer can afford, if its priced to high they simply can't buy it and if its cheaper to travel there and buy in bulk then great and thats what an open market is all about.

Well said. It's like comparing Apples & Oranges and goes on in all countries. I wonder how the OP would feel if we brought prices in line with the North and also pulled Wages down to match. We'd also have to dispense with Free Electricity Allowances for the elderly, lower our standards when it comes to road building or home ownership, increase Tax, increase petrol prices, introduce water charges and a property tax...

Well said. It's like comparing Apples & Oranges and goes on in all countries. I wonder how the OP would feel if we brought prices in line with the North and also pulled Wages down to match. We'd also have to dispense with Free Electricity Allowances for the elderly, lower our standards when it comes to road building or home ownership, increase Tax, increase petrol prices, introduce water charges and a property tax...

Yes, but that would be going against the spirit of bargain alerts ;) Thanks op, if i ever need cheese and live nearish to the north i'll be sure to avail of it, at the moment i have to rely on expat shops to give me my fix of chedder !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Finally Cheese prices below 6.50 a kilo on special at Tesco Ballybrack shop

yelolow chedder for ~E3.30 a kilo so I bought 5 blocks of ~500 grams and put four blocks in the deep freeze

Since march 2008 this year when all shops hiked the prices from E5 euros a kilo for Chedder to E6.50 overnight that was it I simply stopped buying cheese except when I went to the north of Ireland and found it for ~E5 euros a kilo

If the big multible shops here can get the message they cannot keep ripping our faces and we will not buy things until the price drops to something reasonable then more shoppers will go to the north of Ireland to buy stuff if the price is too high here

Hopefully prices are droppping and I don't have to go to the north of Ireland to shop

Derry

Some good material here for a Tom & Gerry Special!:D

I returned a few days later and the few boxes of cheese was gone
    probaly supplys only lasted a few hours but my cash was to to low to buy to buy the thirty plus blocks that were there so I bought 5 blocks

The prices are back up to the usual 6.59 a kilo and upwards and the same so far as I can see 4 Aldi and Lidl and other outlets
    It has to some sort of cartel where one month in Febuary 2007 they are all about E5.00 Euros a Kilo and the next month march 2007 they are all about E6.50 Euros a kilo

Hopefully this price dip isn't a flash in the pan and Tesco is starting a cheese war

Failing that it's another trip to the north when these few blocks run out in a few more days as I eat 200 grams a day when I can afford it :pac::pac::pac:

Derry

Advertisement