Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem with Battery?

Options
  • 21-10-2008 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Hi there, hope someone can help with this. I've been having issues with my 99 Fiat Punto for the last two weeks, first time I've had an issue with the thing and I've had it now for a year and a half.

Basically the car needs to be jump started so as to get it going but the next day the car is dead as a dodo. I don't know if the issue is with the battery or the alternator. It works perfectly with a jump start, even better than most times and I drive it for around three hours to charge it but it just dies the next day.

Another thing, i don't know if this is related to the issue I'm having but the code key light has been coming up a lot even before the car died on me. it was driving ok with the light on but I've been reading about the light and it seems that it's a bit of a serious issue.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem? There's a biscuit in it for ya :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Hi,
    Go to

http://www.fiatforum.com/

And you will find the answer or they will respond very quick usually

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My initial theory here is that the problem is either with the battery or the altenator.

First thing I would do is clean the battery contacts to make sure there is no dirt on them which may prevent the battery from getting a good charge.

When you jump start the car how long do you take the car for a drive. In other words do you let the battery have a good charge? A good 30 min drive should give the battery a good enough charge at least for it to start again the next morning. If you can borrow a battery tester or another battery it would help narrow down the problem too.

If all else fails I would replace the cheapest one first and see how you go, a replacement battery is alot cheaper than a replacement altenator.

Just my 2c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

Most auto stores, at least here in the US, will preform a battery load test for free and can also usually check your alternator as well.

Likely the problem is one or the other. I would suggest calling an auto store and asking if they can do this for you. If not you can check your alternator with a standard voltmeter, but I would check with the auto parts store first.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Hey thanks for the advice.

I was on the fiat forum already ad there's some great info there on the car. Lots of threads to look through though. I'll register now to get some more of an insight into this.

I cleaned the battery parts and basically they were dirty but I found that even after a good clean the battery still failed. took it for like a good 3 hour drive. I'm guessing it could be the alternator but I think I'll get the battery tested first and then try a replacement.

again thanks for the advice guys. if any one has anymore nuggets of wisdom please feel free to drop them in this thread :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Do you have a voltmeter?

With the engine running:

If the alternator is working you'll see 13.5 - 14V across the battery. If this is the case then you need a new battery as it's not charging.

If you measure 12V or below then it's the alternator (or something in between that and the battery).

• Advertisement
Advertisement