Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Problem - Ball Bearings?

• 21-10-2008 7:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭

Would anyone know if this is ball bearings gone on my bike or how I can check.

It's a Honda CB1 91 about 40,000km on it.

Yesterday while slowly overtaking traffic I heard a big clunk and thought I ran over something that rebounded off the bike but I couldn't see anything behind me. Thought nothing of it. Then today driving home it happened again, and it seemed to slow the bike a little.
    I checked that there was nothing interfering with the wheel/mudguard and there's plenty of pad on the brakes.

Would this be the ball bearings after going?

Took it slow going home cos it just didn't feel too safe at all. Bit of a feeling in handlebars the odd time and maybe slight wobble but don't know if I was being paranoid!

Any help appreciated or any advice on how to check them either.

Any one know how much they are to replace and how much labour involved in bike shop?

Thanks
    Keith

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

wiggle the wheel side to side without letting the bars move. If there's play you need new wheel bearings. It could also be the cush rubbers on the rear sprocket if it's coming from the back end. Niether of these should slow the bike down. Its also worth checking the forks. The forks on my old CB-1 always gave problems especially if they bottomed out. If you're in any doubt get it checked as problems on the front end are not good. Also no more ball bearings on bikes they're normally sealed rollers nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Cheers tried that, didn't seem to move too much but I think its them just starting to go.

Dropping it in to town tomorrow to get it sorted anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

If its the wheel bearings, its a fairly quick(less than an hour) job and most workshops should have a stock of suitable sizes.
    If its steering head or swing arm bearings, its quite a bigger job, and you'd probably have to order machine specific parts from Honda.
    Just noticed you might already have them sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

If its the wheel bearings, its a fairly quick(less than an hour) job and most workshops should have a stock of suitable sizes.
    If its steering head or swing arm bearings, its quite a bigger job, and you'd probably have to order machine specific parts from Honda.
    Just noticed you might already have them sorted.

Got em done earlier, just the wheel bearings. €62 for the lot with new headlight and pilot light so happy enough with that.

Advertisement