Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading PC..need advice on video card

Options
  • 21-10-2008 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hola!

Well, thinking of doing a little upgrading. I have a Dell Dimension 9200 with the following specs: CPU Intel Core 2 6600 @2.4Ghz, RAM 2GB, Video Card is a 256MB GeForce 7900 GS, 500GB HD and so fourth...

Think the CPU is ok for now. I am thinking of buying a new graphics card and maybe add another 1GB of RAM. Not sure what type of graphics card tho..I was looking through them on Komplett.ie and the GeForce 9800GTX+ 512MB(€180) and the GeForce 9800GT 1GB(€157) caught my eye. Any suggestions on what card I should buy? Wanna keep it under €200..

Also, I will be purchasing a new monitor in the next few days, decided on the 24 inch Samsung Syncmaster 2493HM. Looks sweet!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You don't say what you intend doing with the graphics card, I presume its for gaming with the latest games. If your getting a 24' monitor get this HD4870 as You'll be using a resolution of 1920x1200. Although its complete overkill if your just playing poker with it.

Tell us what You want it for.

Edit: Here's the HD4850 which is cheaper and within your budget, but it all depends on which games You want to play

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Joeface

a small thing to be carefull of , Im not sure the Dell 9200 is atx format

So the GFX card will go in with heatsink up and not down like most systems , So if it has a Double slot heat sink you may have to mod it slighly to get it to fit. Only realised this as i was putting a ATI FIRE GL in my work system and well it wasnt a great fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Lenin

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    but it all depends on which games You want to play

Thanks for the reply PogMoThoin, eh the Radeon 4850 looks pretty good esp for that price. Checked up some reviews about it too. On the games point, I am looking to play Far Cry 2 when I can get my hands on it. This is really the reason I'm deciding to upgrade.

The recommended spec for the graphics card for that game is: "Video card: NVidia 8600 GTS or better, ATI X1900 or better, 512 Mb of graphic memory"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Those card will play the game at 640*480 will all the eye candy turned off, and it will still run like crap id imagine. If you can afford it get the 4870 as its a beast of a card and will last a long time. But if the purse strings are a bit tight, which i'd imagine they are for most people with all the new shadow taxes/levys and the res the 4850 will still be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 HUG_HAY

This is a good article from Toms hardware, graphic card comparison price vs power, the 4850 does look very good, and in the future when you upgrade you can have 2 cards in crossfire mode (dependant on motherboard)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Best-Graphics-Card,2033.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Get the 4870mb.
    It'll fit fine in the 9200.
    You might want a more powerfull psu though...suggest the corsair 620watt if need be..although I was running a 8800gtx with the stick psu just fine,..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Get the 4870mb.
    It'll fit fine in the 9200.
    You might want a more powerfull psu though...suggest the corsair 620watt if need be..although I was running a 8800gtx with the stick psu just fine,..

Psu will most likely not fit as dell do not use a standard atm 2.0/2.2 mounting points. Dremel+drill is what you will need to fit it in.

Advertisement