Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

64 bit to 32 bit?

• 21-10-2008 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

So after various problems trying to install Ubuntu on my PC, I went with an external h/d installation which works swimmingly, but I've realised (about a month later) that I installed the 64 bit version. I had that because the chipset on the PC I was trying to install it on was 64 bit.

1. Even though the h/d is connected to that PC, I should be able to install the 32 bit version, right?

2. If I do want to do this (and it's looking increasingly likely as the number of apps I cannot install rises each day) what would happen to everything I've already installed? Is this 'downgrade' (?) going to wipe all my apps, settings, etc? Am I basically starting from scratch?

Not that that's necessarily a deal breaker, but if there was some way of 'overlaying' 32 bit on top of the current version so I lose nothing that would be awsum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I used to have the same problem installing applications and it was resolved with sudo apt-get install ia32-libs.

Maybe the same will work for you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I think you will lose everything once you do a reinstall, but ubuntu 8.10 is out soon (according to ubuntu.com) so you may be better off waiting until then to download/install the 32 bit version.

or maybe not, you know yourself what you need to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I used to have the same problem installing applications and it was resolved with sudo apt-get install ia32-libs.

Maybe the same will work for you?

I had come across that thread before but it didn't really help. Did you do anything more than the 2 instructions in the post?

I guess I should wait for the next version. Any good guides on upgrading Ubuntu without losing all your work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

corblimey wrote: »
    I had come across that thread before but it didn't really help. Did you do anything more than the 2 instructions in the post?

I guess I should wait for the next version. Any good guides on upgrading Ubuntu without losing all your work?
    No, most of the time I don't even need to use the second command.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

The best thing is to have a separate /home partition.

If the "work" you want to save is files like documents or movies or music just back them up like you would normally do. Don't fret so much and don't be afraid to break it a few times until you're comfortable with it.

If I were you I would wait a few days and do a fresh install of Ibex. It's not much different from Hardy but its got a lot of performance improvements and better hardware detection.

Don't worry about losing all the apps you've installed, you can just install them all again for free!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Yeah, it's the apps mostly. I've got conky looking just the way I want it (I guess back up the .conkyrc file), I've got my dash looking good, just everything is looking good and working fine, for the first time since I got Ubuntu I'm happy with the way it works. And now I get to break it with a new release :) Ah, that's half the fun, I suppose. Who needs the tedium of having everything working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Ah, that's half the fun, I suppose. Who needs the tedium of having everything working?

Yeah, just back up the conkyrc (although it should survive as it's on /home). You just need to reinstall the Conky app.

It does get a little boring after a while with nothing going wrong.:)

Advertisement