Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bit of help please

Options
  • 21-10-2008 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Will be coming to the UL next year(if i get the points :D)
    And just wondering is there anyone doing the LM051 Bachelor of Science in Computer Systems
    Link here.
    I'v got a great interest in computers and networking etc and also really like the UL college and campus
    Any opinions on the above course?
    Thanks all :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

The hounds will be with you immediately if not sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

cson wrote: »

Why.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Hi all,
    And just wondering is there anyone doing the LM051 Bachelor of Science in Computer Systems
    Link here.
    I'v got a great interest in computers and networking etc and also really like the UL college and campus

You'll have used the search function so?

klong wrote: »
    You'll have used the search function so?

Yeah got something for carlow it i searched "Bachelor of Science in Computer Systems"

• Registered Users Posts: 30 plumlover

You will love UL, I started there this year, best college by far (I sampled UCD)..trinners not really worth mentioning- il be shot if certain folk see that but its true.

All I know about the course is you have a deadly learning support room, which has a kettle and fresh supply of biccies.

You get a laptop for 100euro if im not mistaken with that course.

Also you should join skynet...they are trying to take over the campus (with a long term plan to taking over the galaxy)..it seems like your kind of thing!

P.S Go for class rep when you get there! You won't regret it!

Good luck with LC! Get crackin NOW nerdy as it sounds!

• Advertisement

plumlover wrote: »
    You will love UL, I started there this year, best college by far (I sampled UCD)..trinners not really worth mentioning- il be shot if certain folk see that but its true.

All I know about the course is you have a deadly learning support room, which has a kettle and fresh supply of biccies.

You get a laptop for 100euro if im not mistaken with that course.

Also you should join skynet...they are trying to take over the campus (with a long term plan to taking over the galaxy)..it seems like your kind of thing!

P.S Go for class rep when you get there! You won't regret it!

Good luck with LC! Get crackin NOW nerdy as it sounds!
    Thanks Plumlover!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Yeah got something for carlow it i searched "Bachelor of Science in Computer Systems"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055099442

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055203240

klong wrote: »

Thanks still open to comments though as those 2 are more on certain parts of comp sys and comp eng instead of the general comp sys course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I expect rory to reply with his usual indept review of CS.

Must of us elder statesmen did CS in UL.

Check back tomorrow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

cson wrote: »

The hounds were drinking this evening....and I plan on drinking for the next 7/8 days too.
    plumlover wrote: »

The galaxy is mine....when I get around to it. But yeah probably a good idea to join Skynet
    Why.....?

Because a large amount of the original people posting on the UL forum when it first started were Comp Sys people and we're all hounds of some manner....booze hound being my vice.

It's a good course, as I've said in other threads get a handle on maths and programming in 1st year because you'll need them throughout the course (they're also what tend to **** most people if you don't keep up with them). If you like networks the telecoms modules will suit you and they're quite interesting.

I just took a look at the course outline there and even though it's changed since I did it a lot of the modules are the same. They've removed some of the stuff to the Multimedia & Games course like the Computer Graphics module but this isn't a big loss considering the rest of the work load in 4th year.

Any other questions just ask, can't promise a quick reply though because myself and a few of the other hounds as cson likes to call us will be out of the country for a week or so and I don't know about the rest of them but I intend on being incapacitated in some manner for that week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Come to BULBS on Friday and we'll drink all that enthusiasm out of you....you may even find out something about the course, if you're even interested in the course by the time we're done :D:D You'll be more interested in the social aspect of UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Hi all,
    Link here.

Opinions?
    Well I'm doing it, so I'm biased. What are you expecting from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Computer Systems or Comp sys as you will come to know it is a great course. The lecturers are all sound and really helpful. You'll have your own building (CSIS) away from the likes of business students, engineers, accountants, etc.

For first year you'll be doing the same modules as the games course so you'll get to know alot of them aswell. The programming module in first year will teach you programming using Java. This has changed since our day. I think that you might get to learn C++ after but you should be able to pick it up easily after doing Java anyway.

You'll learn about the history of computers, binary, operating system structure, etc. As rmacm said you can decide to take the networking electives. I didn't do this but supposedly its good.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Come to BULBS on Friday and we'll drink all that enthusiasm out of you....you may even find out something about the course, if you're even interested in the course by the time we're done :D:D You'll be more interested in the social aspect of UL.

i would but i'd have to get the bus there and i'm only 17 :P

Opinions?
    Well I'm doing it, so I'm biased. What are you expecting from it?

I just want to get more knowledge of the things listed on the course booklet and then work with an I.T company or something along thos lines,my dad works in london and covers networks,OS's,virus removal etc etc and i'd like to get into something like that :D

The Don wrote: »
    This has changed since our day. I think that you might get to learn C++ after but you should be able to pick it up easily after doing Java anyway.

Meh I'd say it's the other way round....i.e. it'd be easier to pick up Java once you've got a decent knowledge of C++. Then again that's a discussion for another time/place.
    I just want to get more knowledge of the things listed on the course booklet and then work with an I.T company or something along thos lines,my dad works in london and covers networks,OS's,virus removal etc etc and i'd like to get into something like that :D

You mean a break down of what's done in each of the modules?

In a (few) nutshells then.

Computer Science covers stuff like logic and proofs, its pretty much the mathematical basis behind programming languages. I'm not sure if they still introduce people to functional programming in the modules (it's more than likely the first and last time you'll see it in the course).

Computer Organisation covers some hardware related stuff e.g. bit manipulation, binary, some assembly, processor architectures and probably some more stuff that I can't remember.

The maths modules cover a variety of different things that you may or may not end up using at some stage. If I remember correctly there's a module on statistics and the others cover stuff like calculus, logic, matrices and other fun stuff.

Imperative Programming, OO Dev, Data Structures & Algorithms (although it's not supposed to be a programming module) and SW Architectures (and neither is this supposed to be programming) are the main programming modules. As The Don mentioned they do Java now from 1st year on. Data Structures still uses C++ though. SW Architectures is supposed to be more of a study of design patterns or at least it was when I did it but you'll more than likely end up programming in it.

There's 3 networking/telecoms modules. The first one is pretty much dedicated to datacoms so you study stuff like Ethernet, IP, TCP and a chunk of other stuff. The other 2 modules then are a mixture of telecoms & datacoms so you cover stuff like ISDN, GSM, TDM, ATM, various types of transmission networks e.g. PDH based and SDH based transmission networks.

The other miscellaneous stuff like SW Quality has been split into a number of different modules but you'll cover stuff like software testing and ways of ensuring the quality of software written in an organisation.

Give us a PM if you want to know more specifics as this post could get very long if I kept yaking on.....anyway I also need to wander off and do some work too.

rmacm wrote: »
    Meh I'd say it's the other way round....i.e. it'd be easier to pick up Java once you've got a decent knowledge of C++. Then again that's a discussion for another time/place.

You mean a break down of what's done in each of the modules?

In a (few) nutshells then.

Computer Science covers stuff like logic and proofs, its pretty much the mathematical basis behind programming languages. I'm not sure if they still introduce people to functional programming in the modules (it's more than likely the first and last time you'll see it in the course).

Computer Organisation covers some hardware related stuff e.g. bit manipulation, binary, some assembly, processor architectures and probably some more stuff that I can't remember.

The maths modules cover a variety of different things that you may or may not end up using at some stage. If I remember correctly there's a module on statistics and the others cover stuff like calculus, logic, matrices and other fun stuff.

Imperative Programming, OO Dev, Data Structures & Algorithms (although it's not supposed to be a programming module) and SW Architectures (and neither is this supposed to be programming) are the main programming modules. As The Don mentioned they do Java now from 1st year on. Data Structures still uses C++ though. SW Architectures is supposed to be more of a study of design patterns or at least it was when I did it but you'll more than likely end up programming in it.

There's 3 networking/telecoms modules. The first one is pretty much dedicated to datacoms so you study stuff like Ethernet, IP, TCP and a chunk of other stuff. The other 2 modules then are a mixture of telecoms & datacoms so you cover stuff like ISDN, GSM, TDM, ATM, various types of transmission networks e.g. PDH based and SDH based transmission networks.

The other miscellaneous stuff like SW Quality has been split into a number of different modules but you'll cover stuff like software testing and ways of ensuring the quality of software written in an organisation.

Give us a PM if you want to know more specifics as this post could get very long if I kept yaking on.....anyway I also need to wander off and do some work too.

Thanks for the 2 good replies!
    This course sounds good,Can i ask you any idea where people went for work placment?

Wondering what you can do from this course after 3 years thanks all :D

Edit:Also have abit of experience in C++ so that will help,
    Would i need a good spec laptop for this with the like of C++ and other software?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Thanks for the 2 good replies!
    This course sounds good,Can i ask you any idea where people went for work placment?

Would i need a good spec laptop for this with the like of C++ and other software?

Well firstly, it's 4 years!

I went to Lionbridge technologies (A localisation company). Few friends went to Symantec and Dell.

Experience with C++ is definetly a plus so you're ahead there.

Any decent laptop will do really if its anyway recent you'll be fine. DevC++ is a decent IDE/Compiler for Windows and Microsoft do a good free IDE/Compiler with Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition. If your the Linux type then that already comes with the g++ compiler.

I went to Symantec for my co-op. Other people ended up in places like Lionbridge, Veritest, Dell, Fexco, QAD, Analog Devices and BT. There's a mixture of Localisation, Programming, QA and System/Network admin jobs available but it all depends on who offers you an interview (unless you organise your own co-op).

It's 4 years not 3.

If you're planning on buying a new laptop for college get the best one that you can afford. Anything with 2GB of RAM and a decent processor should be fine for running an OS and a development enviornment. You could get through the course with a text editor and command line versions of compilers. That said having an IDE is nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Peteee wrote: »
    Well firstly, it's 4 years!

I think that he means what coop you can get after 3 years.
    I didn't get a laptop until 3rd year. The computers in CSIS are grand and you can get most of your work done in the labs.

• Advertisement

The Don wrote: »
    I think that he means what coop you can get after 3 years.

I didn't get a laptop until 3rd year. The computers in CSIS are grand and you can get most of your work done in the labs.

Exactly what i mean!:D
    I can stick with the laptop i have now so!

Advertisement