Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AotM3 Nominations Thread

• 21-10-2008 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭

Ok our previous threads have discussed 'progressive' jazz, or to put it more accurately perhaps, improvised music that embraces elements of the avant-garde. Basically wild man jazz. :D So lets discuss something a bit different again this month.

Batat.jpg

My nomination is going to be Oliver Nelson's The Blues and the Abstract Truth. A fine album featuring six fantastically arranged pieces based on blues forms. The personnel is Oliver Nelson on tenor saxophone, Eric Dolphy on alto, and George Barrow on baritone (in the ensemble sections), Freddie Hubbard on trumpet, Bill Evans on piano, Paul Chambers on double bass and Roy Haynes on drum kit. I won't go on too much because that personnel list sells itself!

Anyway in the interest of democracy if there are any other nominations I'll add them to a poll in a day or two. :)

AotM 3? 3 votes

Oliver Nelson-The Blues and the Abstract Truth
    0%
    Django Reinhardt-Nuits de Saint Germain de Prez
    33%
    Setun 1 vote
    John McLaughlin-After the Rain
    66%
    leninbenjamindasdog 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I'll wait a while and give someone else a chance to nominate an album. If no one else does, then I'll nominate one. It will be the same idea as the previous "Album of the month" i.e. less well known but no less deserving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Daddio wrote: »
    Ok our previous threads have discussed 'progressive' jazz, or to put it more accurately perhaps, improvised music that embraces elements of the avant-garde. Basically wild man jazz. :D So lets discuss something a bit different again this month.

Batat.jpg

My nomination is going to be Oliver Nelson's The Blues and the Abstract Truth. A fine album featuring six fantastically arranged pieces based on blues forms. The personnel is Oliver Nelson on tenor saxophone, Eric Dolphy on alto, and George Barrow on baritone (in the ensemble sections), Freddie Hubbard on trumpet, Bill Evans on piano, Paul Chambers on double bass and Roy Haynes on drum kit. I won't go on too much because that personnel list sells itself!

Anyway in the interest of democracy if there are any other nominations I'll add them to a poll in a day or two. :)

bought this a month ago. The first track has a hypnotic and infectious head (sounds like a bad dose). I heard it on a flight in July and wanted to buy it ever since. Louis Stewart and band also covered it at a gig in Dame Street 2 weeks ago. I have not gotten into the rest of the album yet. Only listened to the first track a few times and the rest once. From what I remember of the liner notes it said it was basic blues form but over 16 bars or something. That is really nice if the liner notes give some info about the layout of the song. Anyone know the chords? Must see if it is in one of me fake books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Another standout track from the album is Yearnin'. Fantastically bluesy :cool: Don't know the chords myself, check your fakebooks though, it is a classic blues tune.

Rigsby, if you haven't got this already, pick it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Daddio wrote: »

Rigsby, if you haven't got this already, pick it up!

Will check it out. Thanks for the tip Daddio. :)

ok, checked liner notes and fake book; Stolen Moments is a blues with the solos over normal 12 bar blues in Cminor. The head is blues in 16 bars. The ensemble arrangement with the brass is sumptuous (there's a good word).
    Still not nearly as keen on the rest of the album; checked Yearnin and it is ok but will listen again this evening over me dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭dasdog

John McLaughlin-After the Rain
    I'll be a heretic and nominate an electric Django Reinhardt posthumous release:

311x354.jpg

De Saint-Germain Des-Pres/Jazz in Paris

Ok poll added, great choice btw dasdog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

yeah that not django cd is great but i'm not sure it's an album as such..i think its various tracks from the last 3 or 4 years of his life (early fifties basically)... like to nominate john mclauhglin after the rain..an absolute triumph w/ joey defrancesco and elvin jones

play-control-2._V25376241_.gif 1. Take The Coltraneplay-control-2._V25376241_.gif 2. My Favourite Things play-control-2._V25376241_.gif 3. Sing Me Softly Of The Bluesplay-control-2._V25376241_.gif 4. Encuentrosplay-control-2._V25376241_.gif 5. Naimaplay-control-2._V25376241_.gif 6. Tones For Elvin Jonesplay-control-2._V25376241_.gif 7. Crescentplay-control-2._V25376241_.gif 8. Afro Blueplay-control-2._V25376241_.gif 9. After The Rain

stevejazzx wrote: »
    yeah that not django cd is great but i'm not sure it's an album as such..i think its various tracks from the last 3 or 4 years of his life (early fifties basically)... like to nominate john mclauhglin after the rain..an absolute triumph w/ joey defrancesco and elvin jones

play-control-2._V25376241_.gif 1. Take The Coltraneplay-control-2._V25376241_.gif 2. My Favourite Things play-control-2._V25376241_.gif 3. Sing Me Softly Of The Bluesplay-control-2._V25376241_.gif 4. Encuentrosplay-control-2._V25376241_.gif 5. Naimaplay-control-2._V25376241_.gif 6. Tones For Elvin Jonesplay-control-2._V25376241_.gif 7. Crescentplay-control-2._V25376241_.gif 8. Afro Blueplay-control-2._V25376241_.gif 9. After The Rain

that looks like a great album anyway (whether or not AOTM).
    When was it made and can you get it in town or do I have to buy it online?
    Ok, I can see it was 1985 from Amazon. I hate buying tracks one at a time but I can buy album from Amazon.

Poll edited to reflect extra choice - John McLaughlin album. It actually sounds great, must pick it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Is the Django album still available? I thought all those Jazz in Paris CDs were now out of print?

Desmo wrote: »
    that looks like a great album anyway (whether or not AOTM).
    When was it made and can you get it in town or do I have to buy it online?
    Ok, I can see it was 1985 from Amazon. I hate buying tracks one at a time but I can buy album from Amazon.

I ordered this from Amazon uk. Cost about 6quid including postage. Great looking album; never heard of it before. Great selection of tunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Desmo wrote: »
    I ordered this from Amazon uk. Cost about 6quid including postage. Great looking album; never heard of it before. Great selection of tunes.

It's a really amazing album. One of McLuaglins best - he plays just straight ahead tunes with 2 close friends...defrancesco on organ almost steals the show though with some amazing solos and comping but mclauhglins sound is just lovely, usually i wouldn't go for that chorus thing but it goes great with the organ..I've tried transcribing a few of johns solos from this...gave up though! he's a monster.

Ok so two guitarists this month, Django and John. Should be interesting. :)

Advertisement