Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fitness Test

• 21-10-2008 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭

Got a letter saying i have my medical and fitness test in cork 3 weeks away anybody else get it?

Do people think 3 weeks will be enough to get ready?Im not starting from scratch i can run the required distance in about 12-13 min and sit ups are no boder and i can do about 10-15 push ups in a min

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

3 weeks is plenty of time. Unless I'm mistaken, you should have gotten a 3 week training plan with the letter giving you the date of the Fitness Test?

Anyway, when it comes down to it on the day if you want it enough you'll get the job done ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

Poccington wrote: »
    3 weeks is plenty of time. Unless I'm mistaken, you should have gotten a 3 week training plan with the letter giving you the date of the Fitness Test?

Anyway, when it comes down to it on the day if you want it enough you'll get the job done ;)

Not so much a plan but,notes detailing whats required and how to do press ups and sit ups correctly.

Not to worried done the workout and im not to far off the mark:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

youll be grand, just make sure your sit up technique is right, ya dont want any nasty surprises on the day, and be aware that they will ask you to do a few practice push ups before the real one so be able to do more than whatever it is!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭G_H

Got a letter saying i have my medical and fitness test in cork 3 weeks away anybody else get it?

Do people think 3 weeks will be enough to get ready?Im not starting from scratch i can run the required distance in about 12-13 min and sit ups are no boder and i can do about 10-15 push ups in a min

i tought you applyed for the eastern why are you doing it in cork?

In the end i applied in both places as i jnew a cpl who got the forms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭G_H

In the end i applied in both places as i jnew a cpl who got the forms

alrith deos his mean you wont be geting a interveiw for the eastern in november or are you allowed do both anyway best of luck keep us updated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

10-15 push up in a min!!! I'm in my 40's and just squeze out 40 in 45 sec!

You might wanna look at that, Altough in my day it was called a BFT. :)

And yes before you all start going on, they weren't pressups on my Zimmerframe!:p

Cor my arms hurt!(Iceage reaches for a beer) :P

iceage wrote: »
    10-15 push up in a min!!! I'm in my 40's and just squeze out 40 in 45 sec!

You might wanna look at that, Altough in my day it was called a BFT. :)

And yes before you all start going on, they weren't pressups on my Zimmerframe!:p

Cor my arms hurt!(Iceage reaches for a beer) :P

Im delighted for you;)

BFT?

Apologies mate, i wasn't taking the piss, glad to hear you got a date for your medical, as for the fitness its all about being prepared and if you have a decent level of fitness and stamina you'll do alright. They want to see your best effort, show them that you have it, after you pass they will improve your levels trust me, its all about progression.

A BFT was the British Armys basic fitness test way back in the day. Its now changed to some other name or abbreviation but its all the same, a basic requirement for recruits, after that with all the PT you'll be getting you levels will naturally rise. The only real advise I could offer you is warm up, if only to avoid injury. thats your greatest enemy, I have a cousin who went out a while back with a knee injury. Gutted is putting it mildly, the lad was devastated, warm up and best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

Its almost not relevant but on my army entrance tests (British) i nearly came unstuck on the pull ups. We had to do 3, now I could do at least 30 maybe even 40 but on the day I only just made it. The problem was that there was 8 of us doing them at the same time and we had to start with our arms fully straight and hand hanging down. The CPL in charge would then say "UP" so we pulled ourselves up. We would have to hold this until everyone had pulled up and believe it or not even at this stage some of the lads were struggling. The CPL then said "Lower" man even after 1 I was like thanks god for that! Then he said "UP" and my god I was struggling. Again lads were struggling and 1 dropped out but they kept us hanging for what felt like 10 minutes. Well the third came around and by now I was on stamina alone and only 5 of us made it.

Anyway moral of the story is that make sure you can do the minimum amount of reps by doing it the hardest way possible!

Oh one more bit of advice if they interview you after the tests and they ask "Could you have done better?" then say "No" I gave 100% and I look forward to pushing myself harder!

• Advertisement

Im doing push up's and sit ups 7 days a week and running 6 days a week for the next 3 weeks.Hopes its enough

Thanks for all your help

Ahh easy tiger. don't forget about proper rest periods as well as warm ups and warm downs, nutrition and stay hydrated. the run is 1.5 miles no problem.

Im doing push up's and sit ups 7 days a week and running 6 days a week for the next 3 weeks.Hopes its enough

Thanks for all your help

With the adrenaline that will be pumping on the day you would be suprised at how well you will do. Best of luck and crack on!!

Not bad for an ole'wan iceage!! 40 in 45 secounds is respectable for a man who could probably remember when we were a Free State:D!

Doesnt really matter now.My test was cancelled and toold me recruitment has stopped and a review will take place in 2009:(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

A friend of mine got that letter as well and there are 4 more in my RDF unit probably going to get it too!!!

Thats a tough break.....:(

Advertisement