Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six and a half month old rolling onto tummy in sleep

Options
  • 21-10-2008 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a quick question regarding my 28 week old DD who has taken to rolling onto her tummy in her sleep and is waking up very freaked out by it several times a night. She cant yet roll back while in bed (rarely as yet she manages a full 360, but only during floorplay and during the day..) so I'm just comforting her and putting her back on her back for now several times a night. Thankfully she goes directly back to sleep but being woken 3 and 4 times a night is taking it's toll on both my DD and myself (lucky hubby works nights!) and I'm just wondering how long ye think it might take before she masters the art of turning over herself fully or even better still she is no longer frightened by it and as I've heard sometimes happens she may even grow to prefer it. She's in her gro-bag so the sheets and blankets don't pose any threat thankfully. Do ye have any tips please for any little things I could do with her to teach her how to roll over fully if she is ready to learn?.. (without wanting to be a pushy mammy either though!) Thank ye in advance! :pac: PS sorry for typo in thread heading but its too late to correct it by the time I spotted it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

dunno if I can describe this properly but here goes....If you roll the two ends of a towel together (so it looks like a scroll). Put the towel on the mattress and separate the ends so there is space for her to sleep between the rolls, then put the cot sheet over it. Does that make sense?

Any way Im sure someone with more smarts than me has invented the wedge thing that Im trying to describe. ;)
    Any way best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

If you want to try stopping her rolling in her sleep, you can make rolls out of blankets (spare cellular, that is holey, ones if you have them) & place one either side of her, level the top of roll at about halfway up her chest so she can't roll over onto her front but won't overheat.

She'll soon learn to roll well herself over the next few weeks, as you mention that she's has done it a few times during tummy-play....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

Both my daughters rolled onto the tummies to sleep from about 4 months. Not really a problem in my opinion as long as they can lift their heads up, which I am sure a 28 week old baby can.

My older daughter loved the grow-bag and never had an issue with it but my other daughter hates it as she gets stuck when she rolls over. Our solution was the thick warm babygrow and she can roll to her hearts content.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I had almost an identical thread earlier this year, click here to see it. It ended up that she got more and more active and like some people said, I now find her in all manner of positions during the night.

Wait until she starts standing up in the cot, thats when the real fun starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

we let both of our boys sleep on their tummies as soon as we figured out they much preferred it and slept a lot better (and that was much earlier than 6 months for the 2nd one in any event). yes there is a greater risk of cot death, but, as always you do what you feel is right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Thank ye girls those wedges will get a try tomorrow night as she's down for the night now & I dont want to disturb her, but it sounds like the thing. I wasnt really sure if it was right for me to prevent or encourage it but I was just being guided by the fact that for now it freaks her out so for now I was thinking of trying to prevent it... all the while being nervous that I might do something to slow her down developmentally by not letting her get on with it! It's the little things like this that I worry about. It's really lovely to have nice other mammies like ye to turn to for a bit of advice and encouragement. I only have 2 other mammy friends, 1 of whom minds her in her creche so I dont want to overburden her, and the other keeps telling me she had 5 of her own and disagreeing with EVERY thing I do.:rolleyes: (Her youngest is 18 and she refuses to accept that times change with childcare), so I just dont go there with her because otherwise she's an excellent pal.

So standing up in the cot is next. God. When does that start!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Rolled up the bathtowel as suggested and put it under her sheet. There was a one minute protest when she went in and tried to turn over followed by about another two minutes of "giving out" whereupon she gave up the ghost and decided to give it a go. Two and a half hours in and she hasn't flipped over yet so Yay! Thank you all for the help!

Advertisement