Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental Income Capital Allowances

• 21-10-2008 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm completing a form 11 for rental income (apartment) for 2007, this is my first time to do this so I'm a little unsure of a few details, would appreciate if anyone could help me with the following:

1. Capital Allowances - how do I determine the value of these items as I did not buy them they came with the apartment when I bought it. For example do I value a bed at 200 or 700 euro?
    Do I need reciepts to prove cost or just an estimate.

2. How do I perform the actual capital allowance computation?

3. I had repairs/painting completed last year- repairs costing 200 and painting 1000. The tradesmen who completed this work were guys I found through local paper ads , They did not supply me with reciepts as it was cash job, I dont even have names or addresses for them, so can I claim these expenses back?
    4. Do I include rent actually recieved in the tax year. For example I recieved rent on 20th dec 2007, but although recieved in 2007 it actually related to januaury i.e it covered the tenants rent up to jan 20th as rent was recieved a month in advance.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Income Tax Computation

Rent RECEIVABLE (not actually received)

Less:

Repairs and Maintenance (to the property)
    Accounting Fees
    Professioanl Fees
    Management Charges

Rental Profit.

Capital Allowance Computation

There are no capital allowances available on the property itself unless purchased under S.23 - urban renewal scheme.

For furntiure and fixtures you will have to provide a reasonable estimate.

The best way to do this is to print out and keep on file examples from the internet.

The capital allowance rate of furniture and fixtures is 12.5% of the cost each year. (8 years).

Advertisement