Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert & Friendships?

Options
  • 21-10-2008 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭

Is it just me and my year or are groups everywhere tending to change so far this year, as in people are finding out who their true friends are?
    I know that it's probably a bit early to be saying it's due to the pressure we're under..
    anyone else know what i mean?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I guess you learn more about who has more cop on and who really care with what they do with their life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

By the time you come out you'll know who your friends are.

Even after a month or so in college, there's 5 or 6 lads I'm still very close to from school. I doubt I'll see the rest this side of the end of the recession :rolleyes:

Dont worry about it! Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

PrivateEye wrote: »
    By the time you come out you'll know who your friends are.

Even after a month or so in college, there's 5 or 6 lads I'm still very close to from school. I doubt I'll see the rest this side of the end of the recession :rolleyes:

Dont worry about it! Seriously.

WELL for me i am losing grip on some friends i had in 3rd year and then 5th and now 6th year has widened closeness because of classes being all jumbled up but i'm very happy with the people I am friends with now and I know i will stay friends with a good few when i leave while happily making new ones in college! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I've had a couple of arguments with friends that've been purely due to stress build-ups. It's way too early for this shít!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭.DarDarBinks

Yea, the 6th year factor might have somthing to do with it alright.
    But by this time next year your circle of friends will be totally different

Work friends
    College friends
    Life-long friends
    Casual friends
    Sporting friends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Yeah since 6th year the dynamic among some of my friends has changed, one seems to have become a complete cúnt, better that it happens now to be honest.

More annoyingly, people whose best friends moved to the institute have been left at a loose end, and they are more annoying than any conflicts among my friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Makes me glad I don't have friends. :pac:

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

^^^we're all glad you dont have friends:)*

ya i skipped ty and realised now that group was and is nothing but burnouts and thugs
    but now my "new" year are great craic and im glad to be doing leaving cert in a few months with them
    but my year semm to have come together so far this year and now we're like a group of 20ish pretty close friends

*p.s. im only messin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Yeah, our 'groups' have changed so much but most importantly this year. I've really found out that my friends outside school are much better! I always knew they were a lot funner (nights out etc.) but I always thought my friends in school cared a lot more but have found out thats not the case :(

im just glad/lucky i have friends from work,sport,my area etc. wheras I know some people only have the friends from school circle :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

yeah it's kinda sad like there's a group in my year and there were 6 really good friends at the end of 4th year... now there's only 2 of them left and they don't have friends outside school.
    makes me glad i have a few different groups of friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm glad my group is so mixed, there are one or two dossers who are lazy and you can doss with them if you're not in the mood for working and they wont make you feel guilty. There are the girls (most of us really) who are working and are supportive of eachother, then there's one girl who is an amazng student an is good to compete with to make me work harder.

That said, that same girl seems to be cracking under the pressure and another friend is gettin very narky lately so we might be all at each other's throats in a few months time!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My group has stayed pretty solid. Since TY, we've all hung out together, and there's very few fights. My year in general is a different story though. TY and fifth year, we were all buddies. Now though, people are so self involved that if you say hello to them they just look at you like you've ten heads!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Good thread OP

There's 5 lads that I usually hang around with. Three intend to go college so, they're working there arse off and then there's the other two. One wants to the join the army and the other wants to go to the gardaí. Them two lads are always shocked and laugh when I go the extra mile with homework, doing papers etc.

I already know which friends I'll keeping in touch after the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Everything's totally changed with regard to social groups this year, everyone is fighting with each other and groups are breaking up. I think this may have something to do with people realising that there's only a few months left so what does it matter if you're not speaking to someone, you'll never have to see them again after June.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Yep, I did my leaving in 2007 and my group of friends got pretty messy!

One girl who I'd been best friends with since I was 6 turned into a total bitch. She was made house captain (a fancy prefect type thing) and was always telling us about how she was so much more stressed than any of us were and how she was doing so much work. Total pain in the hole.

She finished school with one single solitary friend. They remained friends because they're boyfriends were best friends.

There were a few other tiffs or whatever but on the other hand everyone else in my year became alot more friendly with each other.

There are only two girls from school that I actually am still friends with. Mad how things change. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

You'll find everyone in general gets a lot closer by the end of the year. I found that I became a lot closer to former "aquaintances". That said, there was two best friends who had a whole competitive thing going and didnt speak by the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Finished this year myself, made good friends in 5th and 6th year with a couple of people, but not being in college with them and working 9-5 means I barely if ever see them.

Advertisement