Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Supply problem?

Options
  • 21-10-2008 9:29pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi All, I've just built a new pc for a friend, and unfortunately, looks like it has power supply problems :(. I got vista installed perfectly, even all chipset drivers, then the machine just turned off. Temps are fine, the cpu is around the 30 degrees mark and stock heatsink is firmly on. Also GPU is around the same temps idleing at around 33 degrees. The problems happening:
    * PC randomly turns off, wont turn back on but powers on for about 3 seconds (Spins up fans) but immediately powers off, LED for num lock on keyboard still getting power, machine wont even post-No Beeps
    * The Graphics at the bios screen went very corrupted, like white lines appearing horizontally/vertically. GPU seems fine when booting up after though.

I know all these problems would possibly relate to psu failure, as I've expierienced them before with loose psu connections, will try a 420W psu (Branded) in it thursday and see if it works, but just wondering, would you guys agree its a rma? Also checked all connections, ATX power connection etc ... :D

And the build specs...

* Cooler Master Centurion 5 Silver/ Blue
    * Samsung DVD±RW burner, SH-S202N, 20x
    * Gainward GeForce 9800GT 512MB GDDR3
    PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI/HDCP
    * Samsung SpinPoint F1 500GB SATA2
    16MB 7200RPM
    * Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G, P35, Socket-775
    ATX, GbLAN, 5xPCI, DDR2, PCI-Ex16
    * Crucial DDR2 PC6400 4096MB CL6
    Kit w/two matched DDR2 PC6400 2GB CL6
    * Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 2.4GHz Socket
    775, 2MB, BOXED w/fan
    * Tagan i-Xeye 500W, Dual Fan, Blue LED,
    4xSATA, ATX/EPS, SLI, 20/24pin

So I'm guessing from symtoms the psu is the problem, its a fairly basic build, So I persume PSU should be up to the task. Also if its worth mentioning Vistas PC Score would finish, but always displayed a greyed out result of 1.0, even with all drivers installed... Also crashed pc at the rating on one case. PC seems to boot up fine after a few mins... But mostly just turns on/off

Cheers,

Nick

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

OK, Tryed my bros 420W PSU, worked first time, This PSU must be faulty, trying it again made graphics go funny and pc crash, will arrange RMA with Komplett later, Also one of the ATX 24V connector Pins is missing, I think its the white one, I guess this also mightnt help :pac:

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

eek... Thats never good. I'd rma it back and leave it in the box. With a missing pin it could cause damage if you krrp tryign to use/test it. One good thing though, is komplett's RMA times have dropped big time since they are tested in the Blanch office and not holland. I think you can even drop it out instead of posting it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Cheers for response m8. will arrange RMA tomorow of it, yeah it is missing a pin alrite, ironic a QC (Quality Check) sticker was applied to it :pac:.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Heh, typical eh ;)

Bet is was that QC inspertor 43 !!

Advertisement