Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BOI and ANGLO shares.

• 21-10-2008 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭

Been following the shares of boi and anglo on a daily basis recently and noticed that when anglo is shorted the stock seems to bounce back better than boi? how come, Hasnt anglo far more exposure to commercial and uk lending also isnt anglo trying to sell 3 billon worth of loans to raise fresh capital, I have noticed that aib and iL&p seems to be performing best with the irish banks will this continue while boi and anglo set to deteriorate for the medium term.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭ranger4

Markets are a bit like dawn of the dead at moment, there was some profit to be made by daytrading stocks including bank stocks on the LSE which has more volume than the non exsistant iseq but you had to be very quick, would anglo be in a better position to weather the present down turn than boi? with anglos high lending levels to comercial property and uk property their present share price seems to be holding up quite well at moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

ranger4 wrote: »
    their present share price seems to be holding up quite well at moment.

lol, what was it 18 months ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭ranger4

lol, what was it 18 months ago?

If only it was even half of 18 months or so ago many people would be very happy, I guess taggerts demise had a lot to do with boi sell off today allthough boi recoverd somewhat before close, another large developer will probably apear in trouble tomorow and it will be anglos turn to fall further.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

What's the market cap like on BOI and Anglo like versus their "secure" assets? Surely if these figures are close, it's a decent sign that logically when you think about future cashflows, they're undervalued??? And yes, I'm too lazy to check the ISEQ and their respective balance sheets, tho if no-one knows off hand I suppose I'll look!

I'm not actually sure whether that's the case, but am I thinking along the right lines?

Also, the possible short term losses you're looking at now are probably lower due to their surpressed values? For example, the drop from 1.60 to 1.15 (ie 33%) is a lot less than a 33% price drop when the shares are sitting around €4 (4 would go to 2.70).

• Advertisement

daveirl wrote: »

That's gas...

And share price should also be indicative of future cashflows too???

So basically they're WAY undervalued?? But of course that's not to say they won't go lower due to liquidity issues, panic selling, day trading etc?

daveirl wrote: »

Ah I know, I don't have the money to be throwing into any sort of market at the moment anyway. Theorectically tho, if a company has a negative valuation, it should be a good bet?

Advertisement